Dexter - Spoiler discussions after each episode airs, beware. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-04, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab473 View Post
If you want to check out the Showtime website from Canada go to this website and click surf on the left, then put in the showtime url and click the Start Surfing button. Walla

www.the-cloak.com
Thanks from all of us who have been trying to proxy to sho.com.

... Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-04, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I find it odd that this programme is not DD5.1 on TMN-HD.

On the Dolby website it's not listed as DD5.1 either. On the Showtime website it is listed as DD5.1 (Thanks mab473).
It is 5.1 on Showtime.
post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I watched the show and was mildly entertained.

What I don't understand is. If this guy is essentially a psychopath that likes to kill and has no emotions or feelings then why is he so worked up about avenging the killers of little kids and woman?

post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 08:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
What I don't understand is. If this guy is essentially a psychopath that likes to kill and has no emotions or feelings then why is he so worked up about avenging the killers of little kids and woman?
....because this guy is seriously sick in the head....
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 10:40 AM

Quote:
why is he so worked up about avenging the killers of little kids and woman?
I could be wrong but he did get his fathers "blessing" as a youngster to go ahead and kill the bad people who hurt innocents. He told Dexter the police can't catch everyone.
post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Doug, I understand that but if he is this unfeeling creature that can't "love", isn't interested in sex etc, then why is he such a straight laced moral guy sticking up for the innocent victims?

It's a bit of a rhetorical question. I will watch the show again, I just have trouble reconciling his actions with what we know about him!

post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 11:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
I could be wrong but he did get his fathers "blessing" as a youngster to go ahead and kill the bad people who hurt innocents. He told Dexter the police can't catch everyone.
Yes his Dad figured out at an early age that he "wasn't all there" and rather than getting him help, he told him if he had to kill people it might as well be bad people.

This is the different paradigm that the show works under. To be successful, all actions and events have to adhere to this, and we also have to become comfortable with it....the part I have trouble with...
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 11:21 AM

It will all come down to the writing, yeah? The Shield showed me that I could be intrigued by a cop doing awful things to keep the world straight (while also taking something for himself, which is 100% human). After a few years of the show, though, I must admit I am sort of now neutral about the main character. The writers do go out of their way to make us remember that he can kill for his own selfish reasons pretty easily. And he was never a "likeable" guy.

Dexter's character is pretty likeable, when he's not chopping people up.

... Mike
post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Doug, I understand that but if he is this unfeeling creature that can't "love", isn't interested in sex etc, then why is he such a straight laced moral guy sticking up for the innocent victims?

It's a bit of a rhetorical question. I will watch the show again, I just have trouble reconciling his actions with what we know about him!
I don't think it is that he has love for the victims, but his Dad gave him a set of rules to follow when he was young and he lives by these. He gets off on killing people, but his Dad taught him only to kill bad people. I don't think he is killing these bad people to avenge them like someone like Batman, he is killing them because he needs to kill and those are the only people he is allowed to go after.
post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I hear you but would a psychopath really abide by the set of rules set down by his dad?

I guess I would just find it a little more believable if he was a "little more human" because then he would be more of a guy that stepped in when the police failed.

post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyDragon View Post
he is killing them because he needs to kill and those are the only people he is allowed to go after.
Agreed, but he also showed a good deal of emotion when he was tracking down and killing the killers. He went so far as to unearth the three kids that the one schmuck killed, and he was pretty verbal with the guy about his sicko life.

... Mike
post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-06, 02:22 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the feedback from TMN on the DD5.1 issue.

Quote:
It turns out that Dexter will not be available in 5.1 audio, due to the short time between final edit and airing. I guess they don't have time to do a 5.1 mix and layback for us.

Sorry.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-09, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab473 View Post
Walla
What does "Walla" mean?
post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-09, 05:45 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I think it's the malapropism of Voilà.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-09, 11:43 PM

Dolby Prologic IIx was doing such a good job that I didn't even notice it wasn't in 5.1.

Sanyo Z700, RX-V1800, DMP-BD35, XBox 360, Apple TV 2, Paradigm Monitor 7, Athena AS-B1, AS-C1, AS-R1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in