PBS HD Buffalo Ghosting & Other Issues - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-19, 05:16 PM

Angry SADLY JHDTV

I remotely follow the debate about PBS on Videotron but try to remain silent, avoiding to publicly explode...

I watched PBS HD as early as summer 1984, and 2 years after all those permutations - Detroit, Buffalo, Spokane, Detroit... I consider PBS PQ signal being WORSE than ever, enough to avoid watching it.

Newcomers to HDTV don't see what they loose, thinking that THIS is HDTV.... very sorry for them. IT IS NOT ANYMORE. My first viewing of Smart Travels, Desert Speaks and so on were AMAZING... sharp, vibrant, almost 3d ! But, NOW, I don't understand why we accept this.

Even after complaining many times to Videotron, no one seems to care, because the signal would be provided by Rogers ? So, they allegate that this situation is out of their control, of course...

In the french forum, there is not much said, no big concern since there is now more french HD services, but I am sorry to say as long as it will be like that, I will not watch JHDTV (yes, Jello HDTV).

I share your thoughts, everyone one. Don't you feel powerless ? I just resigned and forget PBS, sadly.

ClodiMedius
La TVHD élargit les horizons / HDTV widens horizons

NOUVEAU : Mes favoris TVHD pour vous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-19, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancla View Post
I just resigned and forget PBS, sadly.
Amen...

simplicity is genius...
post #168 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-19, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filper View Post
Amen...
Long live HDNet!

post #169 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-19, 06:05 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Quote:
I watched PBS HD as early as summer 1984
I take it you meant 2004, right?

Also, the problems with PBS HD have nothing to do with Videotron or Rogers. The problem is from PBS, if you had read the thread. People who receive PBS-HD OTA are also seeing the same issues as people with satellite and cable.

57 has been in correspondence with PBS regularly and hopefully we can expect a fix in December. Although keep in mind, the majority of programming, with the notable exception of Smart Travels and Rick Steves' Europe, on PBS-HD was not HD at all, but Widescreen SD, and that makes the ghosting, smearing, and Jello-face even worse.

Trust me, a lot of people are just as frustrated as you are, but the problem is not Videotron's or Rogers' or any other carrier's, but PBS.
post #170 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-19, 06:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
...we can expect a fix in December. ...
I seriously doubt that.
post #171 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-19, 06:47 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
I doubt it too, but I'm just the messenger. This is what PBS has told 57. Whether they deliver on the promise is a separate matter.
post #172 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-20, 02:49 AM

Quote:
In the french forum, there is not much said, no big concern since there is now more french HD services, but I am sorry to say as long as it will be like that, I will not watch JHDTV (yes, Jello HDTV).
To me, JHDTV is worse than SD. I rather have less detail or compression artifacts than smearing, ghosting or whatever you want to call it. It is highly annoying to the point of making me dizzy.
post #173 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-20, 11:43 PM

Cool Follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
I take it you meant 2004, right?
Sorry for my orwellian misquote, yes, exactly june 2004, before the incredible NBC Olympic Broadcast with those impressive flights over Grece...

If the problem is PBS, then I apologize... and will follow this thread. But anxious to get a good PQ to PBS.

I went through the entire thread, after your suggestion. I understand now that this issue is more complex that I thought at first. There is a lot of nodes from PBS Central to our screen, but I still deeply regret PBS Detroit.

What is hard to understand is why, when such a major issue arises, big companies like Rogers or Videotron don't change their originating source, as long as an issue is pending. PBS seems to be a big machine, but if their transmission chain is not correct, but the Detroit's signal is (still) perfect, nobody there can sit in front of two signals in a their big distribution center and choose the right one ?

What economics hides behind this ? The Canadian Digital forum is a very useful place to get info and really acts like a lobby group, this is great, but cable distributors should follow closely such a thread to bring their own solution, proactively, like changing a bad feed by a good feed. I don't believe they would lose money.

Thank you for the support, team, and for the huge effort of the moderator ! It is almost therapeutic to read such a thread ! I am healing !

ClodiMedius
La TVHD élargit les horizons / HDTV widens horizons

NOUVEAU : Mes favoris TVHD pour vous!

Last edited by lancla; 2006-11-21 at 12:37 AM.
post #174 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-21, 12:18 AM

The problem is with WNED, not PBS IMO...
post #175 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-21, 04:14 AM

I disagree. As you may remember, I am the person who commented a while back that my Detroit signal here in BC was absolutely perfect. Well, these past few weeks, PBS has become for the most part, unwatchable. The quality is worse than I ever would have imagined it could be. Even with very slow panning of something like a flower garden, the picture becomes so blurred, pixelated and grainy that I end up changing the channel. So much for the problem being isolated to Buffalo. I now get a much clearer picture from the standard channels than I do from PBS HD.
I cannot imagine why the powers that be are not fixing this right away. Why would they risk losing all of their viewers? Just mindboggling!
post #176 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-22, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Location: 300 Steelcase Road W, #20 Markham,905470 9604 ext 230
testikoff the problem is not only related to WNED.

This summer I posted here that commented that I watched both HD PBS feeds from Rochester and Buffalo via ota and they had the same flaws. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...4&postcount=88

So fustrating that its been a good 5 to 6 months and nothing has changed to improve the quality.

I really don't understand why they can't figure it out as last year and up to early this year the signal quality was fine.

So what there that PBS central feed won't admit to and can't seem to correct, that's causing the problems ??

Iam really wondering if the montors that they are using is just too small that they deem the flaws acceptable?

I wonder what is the bitrate that PBS central is using to send to the local stations ??

CM4228/9521/7775;F.RmJvc70FH96/8300HDPvr/Dish 612;B.Rm LC52LE810UN/8642HD;Study LG50PK550/Xbox360;

Last edited by Yaamon; 2006-11-22 at 02:21 PM.
post #177 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-22, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaamon View Post
testikoff the problem is not only related to WNED.

This summer I posted here that commented that I watched both HD PBS feeds from Rochester and Buffalo via ota and they had the same flaws. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...4&postcount=88
It's hard to say who is the culprit WNED or PBS Central, but... Coincidentally, in late June - early July, '06 Rogers was showing both Spokane & Buffalo PBS-HD feeds side by side (they misplaced NBC-HD West feed and put PBS-HD from Spokane on channel 524 instead). Spokane picture did not have evident compression artifacts exhibited by WNED's broadcast. See the following discussion:

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44201
post #178 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-22, 07:03 PM
Veteran

Angry

I compared WNED-hd to WXXI-hd channel OTA and to me Rochester is even worse.Same smear and microblocking too.Their 3 sub channel are really bad.Its a shame to wreck the picture for more channels.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #179 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-29, 04:35 AM

I agree, Rochester WXXXI HD looks, to my eye , to be just as poor as WNED-HD Buffalo. This comparison is, of course, of the same show at the same time.
Thanks to the tropospheric skip for the Rochester signal here in Brampton.

If the U.S. networks can carry one sub channel and still offer spectacular HD football and primetime shows, I don't think PBS pq need be so poor.
I'm going to reread this thread. In the meantime, can anyone say if WNED's third channel eats up enough bandwidth to make pq so inferior to network pq?
post #180 of 204 (permalink) Old 2006-11-29, 07:52 PM

umm just to clarify, when Rogers picks up WNED's HD feed, does that have anything to do with WNED OTA broadcast and it's subchannels?

Because then it may be that Rochester's PQ looks like garbage because there are four subchannels. If Rogers fed straight from PBS Rochester, wouldn't they be getting the original HD feed, before it's compressed to fit with 3 other channels on the 19.5mb/s OTA frequency?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in