In HD: Sopranos - Season Six Official thread - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 10:02 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Yes, Christopher did a whole mess of cocaine with a hooker when he was in L.A. I'm not saying that Tony is completely responsible for pushing him back to relapse, I'm saying that Tony is an ENABLER.

Plus, Christopher really misses Adriana, and is completely screwed up about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 02:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonO
All in all I have found this to be a very disappointing season (very hit or miss). If I hadn't invested so much time to previous seasons loving the show, I might have given up on it by now.
Like many of the HBO series (the good ones like Six Feet Under, The Wire...), the seasons start slowly, and you're kinda thinking, "Why do I watch this...it's just meandering", but then they build and finish the season with a "WOW!!!" I find The Sopranos to follow that pattern as well.
post #123 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 04:25 PM

Boy, do we ever analyze this show! I really look forward to and love everyone's comments but I had to LOL when I thought to myself..."I don't think any of us analyzed Shakespeare in highschool as well as we do the Sopranos!".

There are some really terrific ideas as to what has happened and what is going to happen! Love this Thread!

post #124 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 04:42 PM

We watched it last night and told my wife "no wonder this is HBO's cash cow. The acting as well as the ideas they portray are high notch in my books"

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #125 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-09, 11:56 PM
Veteran

The wine was more than just wine. Sure, it could have been car stereos or cigarettes or whiskey, but it was wine.....for a reason.

Wine is symbolic in Catholic rites.....and as "uncatholic" as their behavior might be, they still consider themselves Catholic. Maybe the wine was symbolic of The Last Supper.....Tony was gathering those close to him, and knowing at some level that betrayal from one of them was close at hand (?)

I agree the wine/alcohol symbolize the start of the end for Chris......he might make it through this sub-season, but there's gonna be bad things happening to him soon. But there's more to it than simply that.
post #126 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-10, 06:13 PM
Veteran

The scene of Tony and his little niece at the carnival was interesting. Did anybody notice that the shot of him bending down and beckoning to her was an exact replica of the shot in The Godfather where Don Corleone (Marlon Brando) is approaching his granddaughter in his garden? Right after that he has a heart attack and dies. Is this forshadowing of Tony dying? But later in the show when AJ tells his dad about a scene in The Godfather that his dad loves, Tony says 'That's only a movie'. Is it foreshadowing or ar they just playing with us?
post #127 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-12, 11:43 AM

I'm probably WAYYYYY off here...but I think Adriana is still alive. You never see her body or the bullets hitting her...I think Sil is in with the FBI and never did kill Adriana...like I said....I'm probably wayyyyy off.
post #128 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-12, 11:49 AM
Digital Sage

If the Soprano family watch tv, they would know Andriana went to Hollywood and ended up on Joey

But nobody watched Joey so they probably think she is dead.
post #129 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-12, 02:58 PM
PFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism

As for selling the wine for $300 a case...it's all profit to them so even if it seems low from a retail persepctive, he still made a killing. No pun intended.
No, I think that it shows how completly uncultured these people are. Christopher sold a case for $300 and thought he did good; when he could have sold it for a lot more.
post #130 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-14, 11:45 PM
Veteran

Ok, so those of you who think that the wine merely represented "wine", do you also think that Bobby's model train going into the tunnel was just a "train going into a tunnel", coming (no pun intended) right after JohnnyCakes spooned up to Vito?
post #131 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-14, 11:50 PM

Talking lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje
Ok, so those of you who think that the wine merely represented "wine", do you also think that Bobby's model train going into the tunnel was just a "train going into a tunnel", coming (no pun intended) right after JohnnyCakes spooned up to Vito?
These are some great puns --- keep em coming...
post #132 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-15, 01:00 PM

Did anyone notice that the football game on the tv in one scene was a CFL game? I'm guessing it is a licensing/cost issue compared to an NFL game.
post #133 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-15, 04:27 PM

The wine definitely had several meanings. Tony said near the end when they were having a family dinner that the wine seemed to have lost its taste (or something to that effect) The thrill of stealing it had worn off and it was no longer any good. Tony can have anything he wants but he can not appreciate it once he has it. (temptation to cheat with the Realtor, the scene with his niece) He even mentioned to Melfi that his was bored. Since season one we have been lead to believe that Tony wants out of his life but he can not leave. He would not let the guy that one the lottery out, he is being pressured to do something about Vito. With the end of the series within sight this will be an on-going theme.

As for Christopher, the wine is a temptation and as mentioned by someone above, Tony is an enabler. Chris too is looking for something different, a new life with kids writing for Hollywood, but he cannot overcome the additions of drug, alcohol and the gangster lifestyle. He cannot appreciate the finer things in life because he does not know what they are. Sells a case of fine French wine for $300. (labels seemed to be French, I doubt Chris or Tony would have sold it if it were Italian)

I think something more will come from the robbery, both Chris and Tony kept making fun of the guy they shot being part of “The Vipers”. I think the Vipers represent the new face of organized crime which will ultimately take over from Cosa Nostra “families”.
post #134 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-15, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbern1
Did anyone notice that the football game on the tv in one scene was a CFL game? I'm guessing it is a licensing/cost issue compared to an NFL game.
The credits at the end of the show did acknowledge the Canadian Football League.
post #135 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-05-16, 12:46 PM

"Did anyone notice that the football game on the tv in one scene was a CFL game? I'm guessing it is a licensing/cost issue compared to an NFL game"

LOL, yes I did notice it, not by the pic but by Don Whitmans grading voice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in