In HD: Sopranos - Season Six Official thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-13, 07:56 PM
Veteran

Who says that HBO doesn't have commercials???

Who thought that there was an excessive amount of product placement??? I mean, it wasn't the Apprentice, but it was getting close. Anymore and the characters will start to act like Laura Linney's character in the movie "The Truman Show".

I mean: Nesquick, FedEx, Cingular, Ray-Ban, Porsche (just to name a few off of the top of my head). And just to make sure we got the full details: "it's Chyanne [or whatever] like the Pepper". (Yes I know my spelling sucks) Sure you could say that the Porsche thing was a key part of the story line, but I can assure you that Nesquick and Cingular for example were paid advertisements!!!

I found the excessive product placement kind of annoying - the rest of the episode was quite good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-13, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
"it's Chyanne [or whatever] like the Pepper"
Cayenne
post #33 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-13, 10:24 PM
Veteran

The Sopranos in HD

I know there is a season 6 Sopranos thread in the What's On forum but this post deals specifically with HD.

Last night (Mar 12) TMN showed the last episode of season 5 and the first episode of season 6 on TMN-HD. It looked to me like the season 6 episode had MUCH better detail than the season 5 episode.

When watching The Sopranos in HD over the last few years it always looked rather grainy to me. That was not the case last night.

Did others notice this or am I crazy?

p.s. I recorded the SD version of the episode (on my HTPC) and there were several ads superimposed over the picture at the beginning of the show. I didn't notice these in the live viewing so it looks like TMN doesn't have the capability to place graphics over the HD signal.

post #34 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-13, 11:34 PM

Boy, I never really paid any attention to the ads throughout Sopranos. I guess that's why they call them subliminal! I don't know whether or not I'd run out and purchase any of the mentioned products just because a fictional mafia family uses them. I guess as more and more programs start affiliating themselves with certain brands a movement could emerge in which audiences will be affected. Listen to me...I almost sound like a marketer.

Seriously, though. I do agree that we see enough ads already. But unless we are ready to turn off our favorites like the Sopranos, we will be subject to more and more.

As far as the show itsself is concerned I have a couple observations. Tony's son Anthony appears to have grown up rather quickly. Did you check out the new hairdo? And it looks like Tony's sister went through a pregnancy when we had our backs turned. Interesting, but the timeline is a little off don't you think?

Still love the program!
post #35 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 07:49 AM
Veteran

I watched the show and thought that it didn't really live up to all the hype. I've been a fan since season 2. Anyone want to comment.

The show is on again tonight....I'm going to watch it again....
post #36 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 08:25 AM
Digital Sage

I've been a fan since HBO (not TMN) started showing it. After a couple of bad years, this season premiere episode is back to its roots.

I actually like the product placement ads. I find them amusing. Only the Porsche one was in your face, which was a little annoying.
post #37 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 08:42 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown47
The show is on again tonight....I'm going to watch it again....
It's actually always on - as it will be added to the On Demand channel sometime today. Episodes will be added every Tuesday.
post #38 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 08:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
It's actually always on - as it will be added to the On Demand channel sometime today. Episodes will be added every Tuesday.
In HD...
post #39 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 09:17 AM
Q
Veteran

I have to agree with James99. I have been watching a long time and I have been a bit disapointed these last couple seasons.

The best seasons imo were 1 and 2 and it slowly went downhill.

As a premiere I couldn't ask for anything more. The ads were noticed but not distracting except for the Porshe. That got a little annoying but she was put in her place at the end.

Hopefully they continue on strong and go out with a bang.
post #40 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 12:01 PM

I dont tthink the show has gone down hill at all. I thought season 5 was the best season yet. This show has really shown the progression of the main characters better than any show I have ever seen. It really gets into the heads of the main players, showing a lot more than the tough guy exterior.
I think too many people want the sporanos to be whack fest week in, week out. It was never meant to be that way, it is a character driven show, first and foremost.
post #41 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 01:30 PM
Q
Veteran

biglyle,

in my fav. episode of all time..........there is no proof anybody got whacked. The russian supposdely should be dead though.

The Pine something ep. where Chris and Paulie and stuck in a forest.
post #42 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-14, 02:45 PM

The pine barrons, and I agree, possibly the best episode even.
post #43 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-15, 10:15 AM
Veteran

^ Not just the best Sopranos episode ever but one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. "Pine Barrons" had my laughing out loud. Just thinking of it now and Paulie saying he lost a shoe makes me chuckle.
post #44 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-15, 10:20 AM

When they are eating the condiment packs I was nearly histerical.
post #45 of 176 (permalink) Old 2006-03-19, 11:09 PM
Digital Sage

Episode 2 was a keeper. Glad to see the this season is back on track. The preview for next week's show is interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in