Discovery HD Discussion. - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 12:33 PM

Merry Xmas everyone, I'm off to watching something amazing on the Discovery Channel HD. The best money I've spent this so far this year ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari8472
what provider are you with Neild ? I'm with BEV and had the new Discovery HD available from day 1 at no extra charge. I'm a subscriber to the News & Learning package that includes the SD version of the Discovery channel ... and with that the new Discovery HD comes for free.
It's not free. We pay for it with the $10/month HD fee that Bell charges and also with the fee that we pay for the News & Learning package. In my opinion we pay enough to Bev for the quality of HD programming that we receive.
post #123 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 03:46 AM

Since Discovery HD's launch I have watched over 23 hours of programming and have several hours on my HD PVR that I still have not had time to watch. Many of these programs are series so there is much more new programming to come. So far my favorites are ...

1. Insectia (the most amazing PQ I have seen)
2. Austin Stevens: Snakemaster (great program, but I have experienced short picture freezes)
3. Corwin's Quest
4. Miracle Planet (I watched this some time ago ... but it was not HD)
5. Ultimate Survival: Everest (only saw 1 episode of this series on the pre 24/7 HD Discovery Channel
6. Alien Planet

My only concern is when will I have time to watch all this great HDTV once the network series return next week with new episodes! I am already having problems juggling it around the IIHF World Championships. Some programming is going to have to be dropped from my schedule!

How in the world can anyone complain that there is not enough programming on in HDTV.

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik

Last edited by HiDefBob; 2005-12-30 at 04:16 AM.

post #124 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBob
How in the world can anyone complain that there is not enough programming on in HDTV.
there will always be complainers and people who you can't satisfy no matter what. it's just their nature.

me on other hand, am gratefull for all the great HD stuff pouring in from everywhere and looking forward to even more HD in the very near future

PF2006
post #125 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 03:13 PM

Quote:
there will always be complainers and people who you can't satisfy no matter what. it's just their nature.

Just curious, would you complain if they took away HD Discovery from you and you knew it was available from other providers but not yours ???

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
post #126 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 03:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:

me on other hand, am gratefull for all the great HD stuff pouring in from everywhere and looking forward to even more HD in the very near future

PF2006
Who you brand as a complainer I might say is a visionary. They see a situation and want to make it better. They see 5 channels and want to make it 10. They see 1 HD show per week on CBC and want to make it 12. They see upscaled content on Discovery and want to make it true HD.

The fact is the HD landscape you see and appreciate today is a result of people who didn't accept (or in your parlance 'complainers') the status quo and did something to change it for the better.
post #127 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 03:52 PM
Veteran

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the calibre of programs on the new Discovery HD. I'd feared they would be broadcasting almost anything as long as the picture was HD. But the programs I've checked out so far have all been very interesting with great production values throughout all aspects, not just the picture.

The quantity seems a bit doubtful though. Even in the first week or so of this channel there have been so many repeat airings. Will these programs we're seeing now be cycled on a monthly basis? Quarterly basis?

As great as the snake guy is, I'm pretty sure I'll be tired of him chasing that python if it continues to be shown 24 times per week for the next 6 months.
post #128 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 04:15 PM

Is BEV currently doing a free preview for this channel? I just powered up the 9200 and noticed that it's been opened for viewing. Previously I subscribed to the HDTV package but since I was on the "old Bell pricing plan" I didn't get this channel as part of the HD package (as well as TSN-HD unless I bought them a la carte or switched to a "new" pricing package). Wonder how long the channel will be open for? Looks pretty good so far... looking forward to watching insectia that your guys have been talking about.
post #129 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-30, 04:22 PM
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBob
Because HDNET isn't legally available in Canada. Now, if you think this channel is good, HDNET will keep in your house all winter. No food nor water.
post #130 of 160 (permalink) Old 2005-12-31, 04:41 PM

I have just startd getting the free preview as well - looks great!!

Am I getting new Sony?
post #131 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-04, 04:34 PM

Daily Planet

I caught Daily Planet yesteday in HD. Wonderful stuff! It is nice to see this partnership between Discovery Channel in Canada and NHK in Japan is working very well. I would be interested to see if any of the footage shot for Daily Planet airs on NHK.

Question though - at the end of the show they said tune in "tomorrow" for another episode in Japan but looking on the Expressvu program guide, I can't see anything. Was this statement aimed at the SD Discovery viewers? I hope all the Daily Planet episodes from Japan will eventually air in HD.
post #132 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-04, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Are you still watching the old Daily Planets that were shot in Japan? That was a one-week special they did a couple of years ago. I'm waiting for current Daily Planets in HD.
post #133 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9
Are you still watching the old Daily Planets that were shot in Japan? That was a one-week special they did a couple of years ago. I'm waiting for current Daily Planets in HD.
No kidding? They were a long time ago, eh? Sorry - with this new channel I guess they are trying to fill the 24 hours of HD with anything they can get their hands on, old or new. I am thankful for that as I've never seen most of this, but it can be hard to tell what is old and what is new.
post #134 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 01:50 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I believe DP Japan was early 2004. Here's a "short" list of the stuff they've already shown previously, in some cases many times.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34918

I am enjoying the "100 Discoveries" and "We built this city" which are new.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #135 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 09:04 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
What I can't stand is how they're showing "Journey To The Centre Of the Earth" ad nausea. I mean, it's the same 2 epsiodes over and over again since the channel debuted. And the Rogers IPG description of the show has been wrong since the 2nd week.

But apart from that, the programming is fascinating. And so are the images.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in