Discovery HD Discussion. - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 01:18 PM
tlb

Zap2it TV listing is now displaying the new Discovery HD lineup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 02:21 PM

Aside from the repeats after repeats, the programming is interesting and amazing. The almost no commercial play is nice also. My only beef is the ugly bright bug in the lower right corner...

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #138 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
I believe DP Japan was early 2004. Here's a "short" list of the stuff they've already shown previously, in some cases many times.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34918

I am enjoying the "100 Discoveries" and "We built this city" which are new.
I'm also enjoying "We built this city" - the New York and Paris episodes in particular, although London was also good. Unfortunately it looks like only those three were ever made.

post #139 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-05, 10:06 PM

"We built this city" has been very informative. Like knowing that central park is almost all fake and has to be controlled in reference with the upcoming weather. The sewers of London and how they were built but mostly the fact that over 160 years later, they are still being used, is truly unbelievable. I haven't seen the Paris one yet but I'm sure it's just as interesting.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #140 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-06, 06:49 AM

While I'm enjoying 'We Built This City' very much, and it is unfortunate that there's only the three episodes, I was dismayed to learn, after all this time, that 'this city' was not, in fact, built on Rock and Roll.

Another slice of my youthful innocence slides into the ether.

Toshiba 62HM84 | SA 8300HD | HD-DVD/Blu-ray HTPC | XBox360 | Playstation 3
Denon AVR-2807 | URC MX-650
post #141 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-06, 09:12 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
While I'm enjoying 'We Built This City' very much, and it is unfortunate that there's only the three episodes, I was dismayed to learn, after all this time, that 'this city' was not, in fact, built on Rock and Roll.
Har har har! Good one.
post #142 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-08, 04:51 AM

Despite all the repeats ... there is still more programming on Discovery HD than I have time to watch ... especially now that the regular network series are showing new episodes (I may drop a few of those).

My recent favorites Austin Stevens: Snakemaster (that guy has to be a bit crazy!), Insectia, Valley of the T-Rex and Quest for Columbus.

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik
post #143 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-08, 12:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBob
How in the world can anyone complain that there is not enough programming on in HDTV.
Because once you get used to watching HD you want everything in HD. After watching all of the junior hockey games in HD over the last 10 days it was painful to watch the Leafs game the other night in SD on Leafs TV.
post #144 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-08, 01:28 PM

You meen they aired a Leafs game not in HD .
Well thats just not right !

Cheers... Murph.
post #145 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-08, 01:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
You meen they aired a Leafs game not in HD .
Well thats just not right
Shocking, isn't it. 2006 and all Leafs games are not in HD.
post #146 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-08, 03:19 PM

Unless it's a documentary on Hockey, let's stick to the subject, shall we?

post #147 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-27, 03:25 PM

I do wish there was some consistency with the way this HDTV is presented. I subscribe to HDTV Magazine and while they show DiscoveryHD on their daily guide throughout the entire day, the Program Guide on BEV does not indicate HD with each specific program slot as they do for other channels.

I have no quibbles with the PQ on this DiscoveryHD channel, and while the programming does in fact show full screen as I have HD set up, CBC on the other hand is exactly the same PQ and yet HDTV Magazine indicates on their daily guide that the CBC seldom broadcasts in HD mode, NHL games and some movies being some of the exceptions.
post #148 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-27, 04:34 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
See the following link for CBC-HD.

http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv/

Click on the weekly schedules, on the right side under HDTV Schedule. You'll see that a lot of the CBC programming is upconverted widescreen and not HD. If you have a larger HDTV, the difference in PQ between HD and upconverted WS is obvious, although some of the upconverts on PBS-HD are pretty good.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #149 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-27, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
See the following link for CBC-HD.
http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv/
Click on the weekly schedules, on the right side under HDTV Schedule. You'll see that a lot of the CBC programming is upconverted widescreen and not HD. If you have a larger HDTV, the difference in PQ between HD and upconverted WS is obvious, although some of the upconverts on PBS-HD are pretty good.
Well, I've mentioned this before. My wife will ask me whether such a program is in HD and I have to respond that you would think so but it actually isn't. I have a 50" Sony GWII and the upconverting is really that good. So much so that for ages, because of the High Definition demo loop we used to enjoy, which was primarily all PBS, I laboured under the impresssion that all PBS programming was HD, until I witnessed how little of their programming actually is according to the HDTV Magazine's program guide. Now I make a point of checking the actual program spot on the BEV guide to see if HD appears before the title of the program.
post #150 of 160 (permalink) Old 2006-01-28, 03:41 AM

Many PBS programs are preceded by a black screen ... they will indicate whether the following program is HDTV or Widescreen.

Even though Discovery HD is HDTV 24/7, occasionally on a few programs you will see upconverted SDTV footage when it is necessary for the program to show archival video.

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in