Proposed Upcoming Pending New Channels - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 11:20 AM

Marq,

The vast majority of these channels will probably never see the light of day, most are crap IMO so they shouldn't launch anyway. When I say 'Approved', what I mean is that the CRTC has approved them for a license to launch the channel they applied for. Now if they are serious about launching the service, they have to secure programming and carriage agreements with cable/sat companies. These are all Cat.2 channels which means that no one is obligated to carry them, only if they want to (meaning if there is demand from their customers). The only channels that have a fairly good chance of launching are ones owned by the 'big' guys like CTVglobemedia, CanWest Global, etc.

I am just posting these updates so people know what channels may be launching soon. If there is something people are interested in then they can contact the broadcaster to express their desire for such a service. In most cases that is the best way to get a service on the air- the more people interested the better chance of it actually launching. Setanta Sports is an example, a lot of people were interested in this service and called Setanta to inquire about it and now it is available by all the major distributors.

Hope this answers your questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 11:32 AM

Quote:
When Movie Trailer Tv will be launched?
There are actually 2 of these types of channels. Movie Trailer TV is one (which is from the people who own Movieola & Silver Screen Classics- their channels are very poor quality, I don't think we need any more crap channels), the other is called Trailers and is from a company called Blackwalk (www.blackwalk.com/BROADCAST.html). Best bet is to contact them and see whether they actually plan to launch these channels at some point.

By the way, these channels will probably be similar to Reelz Channel in the US which launched last year. It has movie news, trailers and behind the scenes info on films. Not sure how much interest there is for such a channel?!

Last edited by PlayitSimple; 2007-12-27 at 11:37 AM.
post #78 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-27, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the explanation, PlayitSimple.
The updates are appreciated.

post #79 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-28, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

There's are other viewers that like those other channels. So if we get more selection on to give viewers more choice the letter.

I like when new channels launched specialy when SuperChannel launched I was very excited i still watch TMN and MPIX its just more choice.

Rogers Digtal Cable,PVR8642HD/PVR8000, VIP ULTIMATE+TMN Playboy, Hustler, Super , WWE 24/7, BELL TV 9241PVRHD,
post #80 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 09:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayitSimple View Post
The vast majority of these channels will probably never see the light of day, most are crap IMO so they shouldn't launch anyway. When I say 'Approved', what I mean is that the CRTC has approved them for a license to launch the channel they applied for. Now if they are serious about launching the service, they have to secure programming and carriage agreements with cable/sat companies. These are all Cat.2 channels which means that no one is obligated to carry them, only if they want to (meaning if there is demand from their customers). The only channels that have a fairly good chance of launching are ones owned by the 'big' guys like CTVglobemedia, CanWest Global, etc.
PlayItSimple, will you be a bit offended if I prove you wrong on that last statement?

François Caron
President and CEO
The Canadian Public
post #81 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-01-13, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I would liek to see those channels and bit more choices. I think we try again to get USA NEtwork or TNT to come to Canada and have 1 Canadian Channel to have 1 to 1 radio

Rogers Digtal Cable,PVR8642HD/PVR8000, VIP ULTIMATE+TMN Playboy, Hustler, Super , WWE 24/7, BELL TV 9241PVRHD,
post #82 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-01-13, 09:11 PM

Quote:
PlayItSimple, will you be a bit offended if I prove you wrong on that last statement?
What part of the statement are you referring to? That all the channels the CRTC keeps approving are crap or that the only channels being added are ones that belong to big media companies? Either way go ahead and prove me wrong, I am not offended. Merely expressing an opinion which is just that and based on the info I have available to me. Things may change that may cause me to change my opinion.

BTW, any progress on getting your channel on the air? Good luck, we need more independent voices on the airways, enough of these corporate bigwigs, time to bring them down a few notches.
post #83 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-01-14, 03:52 PM
Veteran

This one.
Quote:
The only channels that have a fairly good chance of launching are ones owned by the 'big' guys like CTVglobemedia, CanWest Global, etc.
As for my progress, I've founded the corporation and I've applied for the trade-mark. Next up is preparing the business plan, finalizing my start-up budget, applying for a small business loan (the bank is excited about my project), building the automated broadcast system and on-line auction site, getting the satellite uplink, signing up a distributor...

There's still a lot of work to do which is why it'll take me almost a year to launch the channel. Luckily my schedule is very flexible. And since I'm the only shareholder, I don't have anyone pushing me frantically to get the channel on the air as soon as possible.

This should be a fun experience!
post #84 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 08:50 AM

Cosmo/ Reality

When does Cosmopolitan channel start, as previews always advertised? Who is all carrying it for air? Reality tv channel should be launched as there is certainly enough stuff to fill a channel worth!!!!!
post #85 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 11:21 AM

Cosmo on Evu Feb 14th.
post #86 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-03-07, 08:30 PM

Update!

Channels approved since last update:

BUY TV
Planet Green TV
The Environment Channel

--HIGH DEFINITION--

ArTV HD
RDI HD
Planet Green HDTV
CBC Newsworld HD
Encore Avenue HD

Applications for new diginets:

Everything Weddings
Grown Up Living
Everything Expecting

--HIGH DEFINITION--

Grown Up Living HD
Family Channel HD
Green Channel HD

Channels that have launched:

Les idées de ma maison

--LAUNCHING SOON--

Naked Network TV (Adult)
Velvet Television (Adult)
[www.velvetbroadcasting.com]
post #87 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 02:32 PM

Smile Update!

Channels approved since last update:

Everything Weddings
Grown Up Living
Everything Expecting

--HIGH DEFINITION--

Family Channel HD
Grown Up Living HD
Mystere HD

Applications for new diginets:

The Rural Channel
Eurolatino Television
Italian Television
Spanish Television
Pan Desi Life TV
Baseball TV (Rogers re-applies for 2nd time for baseball channel, might have something to do with MLB Network launching Jan. '09 )
CBC SportsPlus
Diversion SD
EqualiTV
YTV OneWorld (YTV re-applies for 2nd time for this service, not sure why?!)
YTV POW! (YTV re-applies for 2nd time for this service, not sure why?!)

--FRENCH--

Cuisine (French food network from Serdy who currently operate Evasion)

--HIGH DEFINITION--

Green Channel HD (Green Channel is not even on the air, why are they applying for HD simulcast?!)
eScapes
Diversion HD
Canada HD Network
RIS HD
Discovery Channel HD
CTV Newsnet HD
BNN HD
MTV HD
Comedy Network HD
Travel + Escape HD
OLN HD

--ADULT--

Northern Peaks

CHANNEL NOTES

Teletoon Retro (French) - Launching Sept.'08
Penthouse TV - Launching Summer/Fall '08

CoolTV - Ceasing operations as of July 21/08

OLN - ownership change, Rogers now owns 100%- wonder what changes they might make to this channel now?!
post #88 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-07-17, 01:49 PM

CTV Newsnet HD might be a sign that there newscasts might be switching to HD, hopefully they will switch the 11:00 news to HD

Kinda confused why MTV would apply for HD

The MLB network launching on Jan 1st isn't that only in the U.S

What could be CBC SportsPlus ????
post #89 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-07-19, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The MLB network launching on Jan 1st isn't that only in the U.S

What could be CBC SportsPlus ????
MLB Network IS only for US that is why I mentioned that Rogers is applying for a Baseball Channel. So when the MLB Network launches they will launch their own Canadian baseball network which I think will be similar to Raptors NBA TV. It will have programming from MLB Network as well as Canadian programming probably Blue Jays stuff.

As for CBC SportsPlus, its a Sports channel from CBC that will air amateur sports as well as some professional stuff. Most likely the events that CBC has the rights to like Blue Jays baseball, soccer, Raptors basketball, etc.
post #90 of 93 (permalink) Old 2008-07-19, 01:34 PM

Ahhh ok. I can see rogers launching a jays HD channel. As for CBC if they start putting all there sports content on that channel, they will almost have nothing to fill up there schedule on the regular cbc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in