Proposed Upcoming Pending New Channels - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayitSimple View Post
NefCanuck,
The hearing for YTV's anime channel started Nov. 14, but that means nothing. The CRTC takes months to announce a decision, stupid but what you do?!
It just boggles my mind, I mean it's not like Corus is asking the CRTC to do much, they've approved channels in some cases so quickly I barely knew what the submission deadline was for commentary. I really can't see many submissions against it, IIRC Corus even covered their bases and said that the channel would be restricted to age 18+ (I missed the deadline to submit my support for the channel sadly )

Looks like I'm gonna have to ask really, really nicely of my contacts at YTV to see if they know anything yet

NefCanuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-30, 02:03 PM

Smile

Update!

Channels approved since last update:

The Players Channel
Real Estate Matters
The Consumer Channel
Student Film Channel

AOV Jalapeño Heat (Adult)

Classical Digital (Fine Arts & Classical Music)
Trailers (Movie Trailers & News)
Ultimate Indie TV (Indie Music)
Tease (Adult- strippers & nude models)
The Anime Channel [NefCanuck you can start bugging YTV now about launching this channel ]

--ETHNIC--

RSC1 (Romanian)
RSC2 (Romanian)
RSC3 (Romanian)
The Chinese News Network (CNN)
The Polish Television Network (PTN)
The Chinese Television Network (CTN)
The Polish News Network (PNN)
JYOT 24 TV
Rang Punjabi (Must TV)
Indradhanush TV
Rim Jhim TV

--HIGH-DEFINITION--

Teletoon/Télétoon HD
MusiquePlus HD
MusiMax HD
Baby HD
AOV Jalapeño Heat HD

Applications for new diginets:

HobbyTV.ca
Métis Michif Television Network (MMTN)
The Accessible Channel
Canada One TV
Penthouse TV (Adult)

Télé Sex-shop (Adult)
post #48 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-30, 06:13 PM
Veteran

An adult HD channel...wow. HD really is taking over.

post #49 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 12:24 PM

What is MusiquePlus HD and MusiMax HD ?
post #50 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 12:51 PM

french version of muchmusic
post #51 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 12:55 PM
JCL

Just spotted "MORHD" on Rogers. I think it's around 536. Any idea what this is going to be?
post #52 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 01:06 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
post #53 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-02-02, 11:28 AM

Smile

Update!

A few more channels were approved in the past couple days:

OTN3 (Greek)
OTN4 (Greek)

--HIGH DEFINTION--

Clash HD
Crafts & Hobbies HD
Centre Stage HD
Eureka! HD
Senior’s Life HD
Aqua HD
Women’s Sports HD

Looks like the CRTC has sped up the time they take to make a decision on these applications- Its about Damn time!
post #54 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-02-02, 02:17 PM

What's with all the super-specialty channels? Baby HD got approved last year, and now Senior's HD, etc. You'd figure they'd want to test these out with an SD station first to see if there's a big enough audience for it.
post #55 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-02-05, 04:54 PM

There are alot of people that only watch hd and nothing else.
post #56 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like the CRTC has sped up the time they take to make a decision on these applications- Its about Damn time!
I just wish that the CRTC would deny half these channels, as probably 80% of them probably have no viable plan to launch nor would anyone want to watch. When is the CRTC going to realise that we are too small a country to support 500+ channels. They should be spending their time approving channels that people really want, like US channels.
post #57 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 07:25 PM

I totaly agree. Some of this stuff is a total waste of Time!
Like i really give a darn about knitting a sweater in HD!!
Shure all these specialty HD channels look amazing, But who Cares! Why dont we get HD channels that people care about like HGTV HD, HBO, FSN!!
When is the crtc going to understand that people LOVE AMERICAN CHANNELS. Plane and simple! 95% of people think Canadian content is Garbage!! Why do we waste time with channels that have crappy content. We should focus on getting the CRTC to realize we want American Channels!!!! Nuff said.
post #58 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 08:37 PM

First with hbo 80% of the series and movies are on tmn so ia m not pushing for hbo.As for fsn again not really on my list on rogers the amount of sports is great could be better but very happy.Its more like 60% of people think canadian content is trash.I have seen alot of american channels yes some are good but alot are not.There is only a hand full of american channels i would want.
post #59 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-02-07, 12:30 PM

bigoranget,

I couldn't agree more with your comment that most of these channels approved will never see the light of day. Its a waste of time for the CRTC IMO to go through all these applications, when they could be devoting their time to more important things like perhaps enforcing the rules that they have put in place and not allow broadcasters to get away with showing crap for CDN content instead of actually spending money to produce quality programming.

I think they should only approve channels that are viable and will actually launch. A guarantee from the person/group submitting the app. that they will launch and an agreement from cable/satellite that the channel will be carried once launched. Otherwise they should just deny the whole lot of them. Take for example ethnic channels, they have approved over 100 applications, probably close to 200- over 98% of those will never launch, so what the heck is the point of approving them?!

As for the American channels, as Jayme mentioned, not all US channels are great just like some CDN ones are crap there are also (believe it or not) crappy American ones too. Why do people think that because its American its Golden?! There are similar situations that exist on both sides of the border, such as the fact that broadcasters here spread their programming over most of the channels they own (i.e. Global, Alliance Atlantis, CTV Globemedia, etc.). In the US you have the same thing happening with Discovery Communications, Viacom & Disney who all own many different channels.

What I would like to see happen is this:

CDN channels: All Local stations (English & French), Educational stations (English & French), Multicultural stations and a Canadian News channel, Business channel and Sports channel.

The specialty channel market should be opened up, meaning allow in channels from the U.S., Europe, Australia, whereever. You will have the above mentioned channels that will have CDN content and cater to local audiences but the specialty channels should not enjoy anymore protectionism. If that means most of the specialty channels currently on air go away, then so be it- time to let the consumer decide what they want to watch (no more force feeding us junk). If you are not going to produce qualtiy programming but instead show content from the US service along with CDN filler programming then no point keeping out the originals I say. Either put up or get out of the way and let the US service in.
post #60 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-02-16, 03:03 PM

any news on us getting Rave HD, it is part of the Voom network, we got rush HD I want Rave HD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in