Proposed Upcoming Pending New Channels - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-22, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1951
I see, by your understand of right and wrong, people that cant spell are by thier very nature incapable or should not have the same "credibility" as those who can spell.
Absolutely.

And not just here -- this applies even more in the real world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-04-25, 07:23 PM

Cool

UPDATE!!

More useless diginets approved / applications filed for since my last update. It just keeps coming.

Channels approved since last update:

Boyz Own (2006)
Seniors Lifestyle Channel (2006)
World Music Television (2006)
The Gaming TV Network (2006)
Equestrian Planet (English & French) (2006)
RCS Television [Rugby, Soccer & Cricket] (2006)
Soccer Television (2006)
Cookie Jar Educational TV (English & French) (2006)
ATN- Asian Sports Network (2006)
ATN- Cricket Channel I (2006)
ATN- Cricket Channel II (2006)
Smart Living Television (2006)
The Horse Channel (2006)
National Lacrosse Network (2006)
The Hindu Network (2006)

--ETHNICS--

Spanish Kids TV
Polish News Channel
Punjabi TV
Romanian TV
Arabic TV2
Turkish TV
German TV (Should be launching Soon!- ProSiebenSat1.Welt)
SBSTV Canada
Bangladesh/Bengali TV
Portuguese TV
Bulgarian TV

Applications for New Diginets:

Tonic (wine & alcohol related programming)
Toddler (info on pregnancy & raising children)
Trash TV (youth culture- sports, music & lifestyle)
Movie News Network (movie news & trailers)
Truth Channel (reality TV shows)

The Consumer Channel
The Players Channel (gaming network)
Real Estate Matters
AOV Jalapeño Heat

--FRENCH--

Passion performance (automotive channel)

--HIGH DEFINITION--

WFN HD
CGTV HD
Gol TV Canada HD

AOV Jalapeño Heat HD

Food Network Canada HD
Showcase HD
HGTV Canada HD
Life Network HD
National Geographic Channel Canada HD

Also decision on new premium service(s) should be coming very soon.

That's all for now folks!
post #33 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-04-25, 08:40 PM
Veteran

1. Across Canada
Application Nos. 2006-0308-6, 2006-0309-4, 2006-0310-2, 2006-0311-9, 2006-0312-7, 2006-0335-9
Applications by Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc. on behalf of its subsidiaries Food Network Canada Inc., Showcase Television Inc., HGTV Canada Inc., History Television Inc., Life Network Inc. and NGC Channel Inc. to amend the licences of the national specialty programming undertakings known as Food Network Canada, Showcase, Home and Garden Television Canada (HGTV), History Television, Life Network and National Geographic Channel respectively.
The licensees propose to make the above-noted services available for distribution in high definition format. The programming would be the same as the analog version of the services.
In The regulatory framework for the distribution of digital television signals, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2003-61, dated 11 November 2003, the Commission stated the following in paragraph 67: The Commission will permit the licensee of a Canadian pay or specialty service to make available for distribution an upgraded version of the service, provided that not less than 95% of the video and audio components of the upgraded and analog versions of the service are the same, exclusive of the commercial messages and of any part of the service carried on a subsidiary signal. The Commission will authorize such an upgraded version by means of an amendment to the licence of the corresponding analog service.

Quote:
Food Network Canada HD
Showcase HD
HGTV Canada HD
Life Network HD
Forgot History TV

Maybe we see these by the end of the year. Would be great IMO.

post #34 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-05-18, 02:09 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nat...18/pay-tv.html

CRTC approves new national pay TV service
Last Updated Thu, 18 May 2006 13:06:05 EDT
CBC News
Canada's broadcast regulator gave its approval Thursday for a new pay TV channel that will compete nationally with regional services The Movie Network and Movie Central.

FROM JULY 21, 2005: New channels circling Canada's pay TV universe

In granting the licence to Allarco Entertainment Inc. for the English-language, general-interest station, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission rejected proposals from three other applicants: Spotlight Television Ltd., Channel Zero and Archambault Group Inc.

The CRTC also said no to Archambault's application for a national French-language pay-TV service.

As the only general-interest pay channel to broadcast nationwide, Allarco's new station will compete regionally against Astral Television's The Movie Network in eastern Canada and Corus Entertainment's Movie Central in the west.

Combined, those two services had more than 1.8-million English-language subscribers in 2005.

The new digital channel will broadcast feature films, original series, specials and mini-series in high definition.

Allarco is owned by Charles Allard, whose Touch Canada Broadcasting Inc. operates radio stations in Calgary and Edmonton.

It said 25 per cent of the new station's schedule will be given over to Canadian programs, and that the quota will rise to 30 per cent between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m.

In granting the licence, the CRTC gave Allarco 24 months to get the channel up and running.

The Allard family pioneered Canadian pay TV with Superchannel in the early 1980s before it was sold to Shaw and then Corus.

Rejected applicant Channel Zero had proposed the Canadian Film Channel, which would have been devoted to all-Canadian programmming.

"We are obviously disappointed with the commission's decision, but we know how much thought and care was put into the process, and we thank them for the opportunity," said Cal Millar, vice-president and general manager of Channel Zero.

Copyright ©2006 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved
post #35 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-06-01, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayitSimple
Showcase HD
Hello HD trailer park boys

Cant say Im interested in even 1 other channel on that list...seems kinda like a waste of bandwidth.
post #36 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-07-19, 05:14 PM

Smile

Update!

Passion performance (automotive channel)
SBS Television Canada (Korean)

--HIGH DEFINITION--

Meridian HD (Equator HD Canada) Launching Soon!
AHD (Rush HD Canada) Launching Soon!
WFN HD
CGTV HD
Gol TV Canada HD
Leafs TV HD
Food Network Canada HD
Showcase HD
HGTV Canada HD
History Television HD
Life Network HD

Applications for new diginets:

Student Film Channel

--Ethnic--

DMG Urdu
DMG Arabic
DMG Middle East
DMG Polish
DMG Russian
DMG Ukrainian
DMG Vietnamese
Canal Corazon (Spanish soap channel)
Iranian TV

--High Definition--

Baby HD
post #37 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-07-31, 01:18 AM

AGreed, most channels boring to some of us, but ANYTHING in HD is good......... like the first coupla years CD decks came out. The sound was so much better than records, I bought all kinds of stuff just to appreciate the higher quality. And so more HD channels means we are that much close to ALL HD, ALL THE TIME, and we can finally move away from this digital pixelation mpg quality stuff that half the channels broadcast.

... Mike
post #38 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-09-15, 02:05 PM

Smile

Update!

Over 60 Ethnic Channels approved!

Tonic (about wines & spirits)
Toddler (for parents)
Movie News Network (film news & trailers)
Truth Channel (Reality channel)

Classical Digital (Classical music & fine arts programming, application is from Moses Znaimer)
N-TV (Adult)
N-TV-2 (Adult)

Ultimate Indie TV (Indie flicks)
Tease (Adult)
Theatrical
Trailers
The Anime Channel (from YTV)

--ETHNIC--

RSC1 (Romanian)
RSC2 (Romanian)
RSC3 (Romanian)
The Chinese News Network (CNN)
The Polish Television Network (PTN)
The Chinese Television Network (CTN)
The Polish News Network (PNN)
JYOT 24 TV
Rang Punjabi (Must TV)
Indradhanush TV
Rim Jhim TV

OTN3 (Greek)
OTN4 (Greek)

--HIGH DEFINITION--

Historia HD
Series+ HD
Canal Vie HD
VRAK-TV HD
Ztélé HD
Canal D HD
Super Écran HD
Teletoon/Télétoon HD
MusiquePlus HD
MusiMax HD

[The following channels are from the company that operates Oasis HD, Treasure HD Canada, Equator HD Canada & Rush HD Canada]

Crafts & Hobbies HD
Centre Stage HD
Clash HD
Eureka! HD
Senior’s Life HD
Aqua HD
Women’s Sports HD
post #39 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-09-16, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayitSimple View Post

Here are the US channels on the approved list that are not currently available (as you will see, I believe its because they would compete with CDN channels):

American Movie Classics (AMC) [rights issues, has commercials so forget about it I say]
C-SPAN [who cares?]
Comedy Central [competes with comedy network]
Lifetime Television [competes with W]
Oxygen Network [competes with W]
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) [rights issues]
TV Land [Time to put it on and fold the CDN version because it sucks!]

I hope someday Boomerang is added to the approved list, but that may take a miracle me thinks!
Your saying the CRTC has actually apporved those channels and the satellite / cable co's are not carrying them!!! Crazy!

Here is an idea why don't we rebrand everything in the exact same name and format as the US stations but with the canadian content during repeat shows on in the US.

eg. W! becomes Oxygen Canada
Comedy Net become Comedy Central Canada
etc.

these stations would follow the US's schedule exactly for primetime / daily / nightly new shows and during repeat zone you filter in the Canadian content.

Where do you go to get listings of pending and recently approved channels, the CRTC website is to mind-boggling to find things.
post #40 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-09-17, 12:40 AM

You can take TCM & AMC off that list as they are now available, albeit only on Star Choice so far.

As for the rest I don't see any of them becoming available any time soon. From what I have found, Oxygen could launch as most of their programs are not available on W or any other CDN channel.

Interesting about the re-branding but I am sure most would not go for that idea. We have enough CDN clones of American stations as is. Not enough Cancon to fill them all.

As for the CRTC, I keep track of these changes myself, they are not listed on the CRTC site. Except for decisions, the pending ones I get whenever they announce a hearing, they list all the applications being considered at that hearing. I visit the site regularly and go to the 'Today's releases' section. (You click on 'Today's Releases' on the main page on the top left corner)

A weird hobby of mine, just thought people might want to know what channels have been approved and might be coming. Most of the applications are crap and won't see the light of day but you never know.

I wonder if Movie News Network will launch, a similar channel in the U.S. is launching soon- Reelz Channel. Co-incidence someone applied for a channel like this here- I think not! Just trying to keep out the American one.
post #41 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-23, 01:15 PM

Smile

Update!

The Canadian Public (public access channel)
MyNRG TV (Environmental, about energy conservation)
Cosmopolitan Television (Based on popular fashion magazine)
Total TV (health & wellness channel)
Hookup TV (relationships & dating)
Niagara News TV (Regional channel for Niagara region)

--FRENCH--

Première Loge (Documentaries, films & performances)

Also some of the Astral Media HD channels mentioned in previous update have launched even though CRTC has yet to issue a decision on them.

Videotron has added:

Canal D HD
Canal Vie HD
Z Tele HD
Super Ecran HD

Bell Expressvu has added:

Canal D HD
Canal Vie HD
Series+ HD
Super Ecran HD

Cogeco Quebec has added:

Canal D HD
Canal Vie HD
Historia
Series+ HD
Vrak TV HD
Z Tele HD
Super Ecran HD

Last edited by PlayitSimple; 2006-11-23 at 01:22 PM.
post #42 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-23, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Update!

The Anime Channel (from YTV)
Teletoon/Télétoon HD
Any news on these two? I mean since the CRTC sees fit not to allow the 24/7 version of the Anime Network up here, the least they could do is make a decision quickly on the others. Though I'm curious abou the HD version of Teletoon seeing as how domestically anyways there has been no animation produced that is HiDef (Overseas is another story)

NefCanuck
post #43 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-25, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefCanuck View Post
Any news on these two? I mean since the CRTC sees fit not to allow the 24/7 version of the Anime Network up here, the least they could do is make a decision quickly on the others. Though I'm curious abou the HD version of Teletoon seeing as how domestically anyways there has been no animation produced that is HiDef (Overseas is another story)

NefCanuck
Teletoon HD should be approved but it hasn't been posted on the CRTC website yet. Try calling Teletoon and see what they say about launching it. The thing with this is only 10% of the programming can be different while most of it has to be the same as the SD version. How is HD suppose to progress with stupid rules like this? They don't need to produce any new original HD programming so what is the point of the HD channel then?

As for YTV's anime channel, this is along way off. They haven't even had the hearing for this yet, then add in who knows how many months until the CRTC makes a decision. Also, I'm not sure if they didn't apply for this just to keep out other anime channels?! Of course YTV does have an Anime on-demand service and The Anime Network is also available on-demand so its possible they may launch it- who knows? The only other US anime station I know of is Funimation Channel but not sure what programming they air?
post #44 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Teletoon HD should be approved but it hasn't been posted on the CRTC website yet. Try calling Teletoon and see what they say about launching it. The thing with this is only 10% of the programming can be different while most of it has to be the same as the SD version. How is HD suppose to progress with stupid rules like this? They don't need to produce any new original HD programming so what is the point of the HD channel then?

As for YTV's anime channel, this is along way off. They haven't even had the hearing for this yet, then add in who knows how many months until the CRTC makes a decision. Also, I'm not sure if they didn't apply for this just to keep out other anime channels?! Of course YTV does have an Anime on-demand service and The Anime Network is also available on-demand so its possible they may launch it- who knows? The only other US anime station I know of is Funimation Channel but not sure what programming they air?
Only 10% difference between Teletoon SD vs. HD? Then what's the point of the channel to begin with?

To be honest an HD channel for animation is right now not something that I think anyone is pushing for. Hell, the only animation that comes close to using HD in any capacity is from Japan and I don't see that as something the CRTC would encourage.

Really? I could have sworn the screen crawl/voice over at the time on YTV called for a mid November hearing date, so I was thinking we should know something fairly soon. AFAIK with regards to the Funimation channel they're a lot more "in house" with their programming, with their library of titles while the Anime Network in the US goes to other publishers to expand its library...

NefCanuck
post #45 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 05:44 PM

NefCanuck,

I agree, what is the point of launching the channel if it will be the same as the SD version?! Here is the wording from the CRTC site:

Quote:
programming on the analog service and on the upgraded service will be comparable, that is, not less than 95% of the video and audio components will be the same, exclusive of the commercial messages and of any part of the service carried on a subsidiary signal. Further, all programming making up the 5% allowance will be provided in HD.
The hearing for YTV's anime channel started Nov. 14, but that means nothing. The CRTC takes months to announce a decision, stupid but what you do?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in