Proposed Upcoming Pending New Channels - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 2005-10-20, 04:57 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3579
i hope one day that NasaTV get's apporved
NASA is already FTA so just get a cheapie dish and FTA receiver and you're all set. I've been thinking of doing that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 02:33 PM

Wink

Another update!

Some more channels have been approved today (No surprise there, what did I tell you James99- rubber stamped )

DIY Television
Girls TV
Teletoon Retro E&F
The Cricket Channel
ZTV (Youth 18-29)

The Private Channel (Adult)
Pure Play clip Channel (Adult)

Humour (comedy channel)
Nostalgie (classic TV/movies)
Star Systeme (Star! in French)
Tele Services (How-to stuff)

Discovery HD Theatre Canada
Vista- The virtual window
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 04:44 PM

Discovery HD Theatre Canada was approved while the HDNET application continues to sit around still being ignored by the CRTC. It's not surprising since Bell Globemedia has a vested interest in Discovery HD Theatre Canada making it easier to get that application approved by the CRTC.

Last edited by lprice99; 2005-10-21 at 04:55 PM.

post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 2005-11-15, 02:37 PM

Smile

UPDATE! More Proposed Channels!

Recently submitted applications for new digital channels:

Equestrian Planet (English & French)- About the world of Equestrian
Smart Living Television- Sustainability of the planet, environmental-type channel
Vrak Junior- Treehouse in French
The Horse Channel- clearly about horses
The Gaming TV Network- Another gambling channel
RCS Television- Rugby, Soccer & Cricket
Soccer Television- Another Soccer channel!!
Cookie Jar Educational TV (English & French)- Educational programs geared towards young children and Educators
National Lacrosse Network- Lacrosse Channel!

The Hindu Network
ATN – Asian Sports Network
ATN - Cricket Channel I
ATN - Cricket Channel II
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-14, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Is there any updates of any new channels launching?

Rogers Digtal Cable,PVR8642HD/PVR8000, VIP ULTIMATE+TMN Playboy, Hustler, Super , WWE 24/7, BELL TV 9241PVRHD,
post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 12:08 PM

I am completely disenchanted with the Canadian HDTV seen.
I subscribe to Videotron with all HDTV services and thier is just NO NEWS at all concerning ANY new HDTV offerings. I check the rollout of new US HDTV offerings and I canada its just NOT there.

This realy stinks !
I don't care who is at fault or who is causing the bottelneck, I am just angre at the lack of HDTV stations in Canada. The lack of service offered to me in HDTV when I know the USA is rolling out tons of stuff.

The entire tv home entertainment industry is just crazy.
I bought into it at a cost of over $5000.00 with promises galore of HDTV but what do we all get? maybe 7-8 stations !

The CRTC seems determined to just wait until all hell breaks loose or are they in bed with Bell over all this I don't know BUT I smell a RAT here !

Did you see the list of pending stations ! what a bunch of crap.
Someone is highjacking the HDTV canadian sceen.

Someone MUST be getting huge kickbacks by stopping the introduction of new HDTV stations in direct competition with the current ones. It's a monopoly in the making.

If you have a public referendum on opening up the entire Canadian tv sceen I bet 90% of Canada would be for it.
I am the customer, I should have the right to buy what I want and by the way ONLY what I want.

The way it is right now, it's like forcing Canadians to buy products made in Canada or sold by a Canadian owned companies. So lets change everything else to that thinking. Only cars made in Ontario, no imports, food grown in Canada, no imports, and so on. You see how stupid that would be.
Well thats exactly what is happening in the TV sceen.

Someone is causing the bottleneck, someone is lineing thier pockets, someone is turning a blind eye, and we are all getting skrewed.
post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 01:20 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Hmmm...perhaps your argument would have more credibility if you knew how to spell correctly some simple words.

Also, why would you invest $5000 in HD equipment PRIOR to understanding that the HD landscape is limited, as is your point-of-view.
post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism
Hmmm...perhaps your argument would have more credibility if you knew how to spell correctly some simple words.

Also, why would you invest $5000 in HD equipment PRIOR to understanding that the HD landscape is limited, as is your point-of-view.
I see, by your understand of right and wrong, people that cant spell are by thier very nature incapable or should not have the same "credibility" as those who can spell. I would hate to have you in a jury pool.

The HD landscape is growing by leaps and bounds, but not in Canada and if you missed that point then your english comprehension may not be as good as you think. Is english your second language as it is mine? or have you missed a few too many classes?
post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 03:15 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
I was making a point that your rant holds no water, and that your spelling errors brought out that point in a glowing manner. That is, it's hard to take an argument seriously, when the writer hasn't done due diligence on research, let alone spelling. You also say you subscribe to Videotron, but blame Bell for your lack of HD content.

I wasn't insulting you, the way you have me, I was questioning your argument.

So, answer my question: Why would you invest in HD equipment PRIOR to understanding that the HD landscape is limited, as per your point of view.

There are many people on this forum such as myself that have made the same investment or more, but don't don't make baseless accusations that the holding back of HD content is some sort of SCAM and that Canadians are getting screwed by the amount or lack thereof of HD content. It's the price you pay for being an early adopter, that is, if you believe that HD content is lacking. I, too, think that there could be more HD programming, MUCH MORE, but I knew GOING IN that programming was limited, but improving, in Canada.

And I think I've proven that my English composition and comprehension is not without merit.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2006-01-16 at 03:22 PM.
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 04:04 PM

While gross spelling mistakes can easily render an argument useless, we need to be a little more sensitive in our responses to maintain some level of decorum. We're all here to help one another, and arguing/insulting has no place in these forums. Many errors are typos which are innocent mistakes. However, I'd love to strangle some posters for their screwed-up usage of the words, "there or thier for their", "your for you're", "equiptment for equipment", and countless others which indicate one of two things: ignorance, which is easily fixed, or stupidity which is forever!

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?
post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 04:07 PM

Or people who write "would of/should of/could of" instead of the proper "would've (would have)/should've (should have)/or could've (could have).

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic.
post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I was making a point that your rant holds no water, and that your spelling errors brought out that point in a glowing manner. That is, it's hard to take an argument seriously, when the writer hasn't done due diligence on research, let alone spelling.

I wasn't insulting you, the way you have me, I was questioning your argument.

So, answer my question: Why would you invest in HD equipment PRIOR to understanding that the HD landscape is limited, as per your point of view.

There are many people on this forum such as myself that have made the same investment or more, but don't don't make baseless accusations that the holding back of HD content is some sort of SCAM and that Canadians are getting screwed by the amount or lack thereof of HD content. It's the price you pay for being an early adopter, that is, if you believe that HD content is lacking. I, too, think that there could be more HD programming, MUCH MORE, but I knew GOING IN that programming was limited, but improving, in Canada.

And I think I've proven that my English composition and comprehension is not without merit.
I might continue to spell wrong buy bear with me on the points of argument.
I will use the example of Discovery HD. Videotron has dropped it, stateing that
DiscoveryHD wants 4 times the money from Videotron, videotron has refused If we left the issue there we would not find out that Discovery HD is owned by Bell Globe media and therefore behind this price gouge in order to grab disgruntled Videotron customers is behind the issue. The question of credibility concerning Discovery HD's reason for the price increse has to be in suspect.
Just how much pressure is Globe media using in the Canadian HDTV sceen?
These possible backroom deals "in my view" are happening, and to the detriment of canadian consumers. The CRTC list of approved and underconsideration, reads like a list of stations designed not to disturb the current 7 or 8 stations. If it smells like something that would compete with the current stations then we wont allow it. As I said, sounds like a monopoly in the making.
If the CRTC decides to keep out many USA great HDTV stations then where are the teeth to force a Canadian version in a timely manner. If, as an example, Bell Globe Media submits to the CRTC for thier version of History channel HD but sits on the issue and then wants an extention then 4 years might be lost to the Canadian HDTV subscriber. Of course no damage to Globe Media during this wait, in fact more HDTV starved Canadians would opt for DIscovery HD in order to watch ANYTHING in HD.

Yes I was an early buyer of HDTV products. In Fact only 3 stations were availabe at the time anywhere. I have seen the USA come on like gangbusters and continue to move quickly now to HDTV adoptation. Canada is stuck in this customer struggle and big boy battle. Time slips away and Canadian HDTV rollout is nearly stalled, falling way behind the USA. If you can't see this happening you must be blind. Go ahead, check out all the HD station now available to US subscribers currently, then compare the 7 or 8 Canadian stations. Then look at the CRTC list and realize that Canadian HDTV will grow at a snales pace for the forseeable future, all controled by the current BIG Canadian players in order to maximize thier position.
But what of the HDTV Canadian customers? are we well served by all this?

I think not.
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 04:17 PM

ron1951, thanks for clarifying your position. I will not argue so as not to hijack this thread.
post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-16, 04:23 PM

Quote:
ron1951, thanks for clarifying your position. I will not argue so as not to hijack this thread.
Thanks for your input, by the way thats a great plasma you have. I well thought out purchase. Congrats and enjoy.
post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 2006-01-21, 03:29 PM

Smile

UPDATE! (More channels approved, applications submitted and launching soon)

Channels approved since last update:

Gambling TV
Parent TV
Military Television
The Wagering Network
Wedding Bells TV

Wild TV HD

Applications for new diginets:

Boyz Own

MeridianHD
AHD

SBS Television Canada
36 apps. for ethnic services from Ethnic Channels Group (See here for list- http://www.canadian-tv.com/forums/sh...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Channels launching Soon

The Score HD
The Cult Movie Channel (rumoured to launch Spring/Summer 2006)

Alliance Atlantis Planning to launch 1 or 2 new services this year, here are channels they have license for (New services will be 1 or 2 of the following):

DIY Network (from Alliance Atlantis)
Parent TV (from Life Network)
Military Television (from History Television)
ZTV (from Showcase)
Girls TV (from Showcase)

That's all for now folks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in