MTV and MTV 2 will be back in Canada thanks to CTV! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

MTV and MTV 2 will be back in Canada thanks to CTV!

Take that Chum!

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../28/c4865.html

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2005/...239251-cp.html

It appears that CHUM has lost the rights to all MTV's content as it will now be seen accross the CTV own'd channels.

Man, I hate Chum and this makes me happy.

Last edited by Elite 09; 2005-09-28 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 04:26 PM
Digital Sage

CTV had more MTV content than MTV Canada anyway. This makes it more official.
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 04:34 PM
Member #1

Don't forget that this will only be available in 40 to 45% of Canadian households (teh ones that currently offer CTV talktv and by CRTC regulations has to have 68% to 71% Canadian content!

post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 04:43 PM
Veteran

TalkTV is available in most major markets and is on basic cable on most of Rogers' Ontario systems.

70% Canadian content... I think we could be seeing endless repeats of Degrassi:TNG and Canadian Idol.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 04:47 PM
Veteran

So, in Canada Talktv becomes MTV.
That's pretty much the opposite of what happened in the US many years ago

Anyway, MTV is no longer a music television, so I don't give a damn about MTV Canada. I like the idea of the digital MTV2 channel, though. If it is anything like the recently discontinued MTV2 Canada (24hr music videos), I'm all for it.
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 05:12 PM
Veteran

I was sssssoooooo happy to hear about this and the best part is Chum gets nothing.I think the Canadian content will be intresting since it will be preoduce by CTV and MTV with MTV airing it around the world.

Here's Chum's response.Let's just say there cold and bitter at the very least.
Chum Get's Nasty

Last edited by TJ77; 2005-09-28 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 05:19 PM
Member #1

Some notes:

Gary, according to CTV, 4.4 million homes have talktv which is 40 to 45% of CDN households. I don't know what the distribution of those 4.4 million.

the digital channel was a separate announcement. no one at CTV actually said it would be MTV2. and the 2nd channel has not been approved by the CRTC

post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 07:54 PM

YES!!!!

now i can watch boiling points & room raiders!!!!!!!!!!

so talk tv will now become MTV? Because I get Talk Tv threw Shaw for free & i have the lifestyle1 package threw BEV
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 07:55 PM

Over the years, CTV's channels have greatly benefited from CRTC support and genre protection. We'll be intrigued to see how Talktv can be morphed into an MTV brand and still remain a talk channel as licensed. We will be actively encouraging the CRTC to enforce both the spirit and letter of all Talktv's conditions of licence. Based on the totality of today's announcement, we will soon be seeking appropriate and necessary regulatory flexibility for MuchMusic to competitively respond," said Jay Switzer, President and CEO, CHUM Limited.

damn i guess no boiling points/room raiders

man i need to get Dish Network if thats the case
post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-29, 08:05 PM

I'm So Excited of this annoucement. But I was hopeing that they would launched the MTV Channel & MTv 2 not Rebrand Talk Tv to MTV .

But at least CHUM didn't kill MTv in Canada since it's on the approve list of channels.

Rogers Digtal Cable,PVR8642HD/PVR8000, VIP ULTIMATE+TMN Playboy, Hustler, Super , WWE 24/7, BELL TV 9241PVRHD,
post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-30, 01:17 AM

Mtv/ Mtv2

It is great to hear that Mtv is coming back!!! It is also great that Talk Tv will actually have content on it for once, lmao, that channel was a waste of space that should have been replaced in analog long ago!!! Anyone else agree? With 68% content being Canadian and Chum breathing heavily on the crtc with this, what will be left for us of seeing American MTV simulcast programs? It is such a lengthy list, not to mention the new block of programming MTV 2 now has in the USA creating alot of buzz. Even with a small set block of primetime or maybe wknd programming of MTV content on CTV, that would still be very limited no? I hope the Candian content gets some money put into it, and is worthy of watching! (limited to news content with the liscence would not be Mtv at all???) I look forward to the updates and the 2006 launch! Chum, (with Much, More, Retro, Bpm, Razer, and Punch Much), have too much of the monopoly anyway on Music!!! Like all unopened liscences with no carriers, let some competition happen for once!!!

[email protected] Saskatoon,Sk.
post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-09-30, 11:45 AM
Veteran

What do CHUM and MTV compete in? MUCH and MMM are mostly music channels, MVibe, MMRetro and MLoud are music only channels, while the US MTV and MTV2 are all teenage reality show channels. If Viacom wants to bring its only true music channel - VH1 Classic - to Canada - yes, that would be competition.
post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-10-01, 04:21 AM

in response

I LOVE MY VH1 TOO! Best we'll ever see is downloads now, I guess we will not likely see Surreal Life's new season's now on MMM, if Viacom is similar to MTV, with chum dismissal of content?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
What do CHUM and MTV compete in? MUCH and MMM are mostly music channels, MVibe, MMRetro and MLoud are music only channels, while the US MTV and MTV2 are all teenage reality show channels. If Viacom wants to bring its only true music channel - VH1 Classic - to Canada - yes, that would be competition.
post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 04:13 AM

madonna documentary coverage!!!

Will CTV be smart and brave enough to give Canadian fans access soon to the Madonna Documentary movie that MTV USA and likely worldwide is airing this week? I want quicker coverage with content now, not 2006, and DVD releases. Get the ball rolling already! One Alicia unplugged series is not good advertising of new plans to move ahead! Where is the publicity ads, coming soon, etc.... I WANT MADONNA!
post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old 2005-10-21, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoondavid
I WANT MADONNA!
So do I, but for different reasons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in