MTV and MTV 2 will be back in Canada thanks to CTV! - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-03, 02:40 PM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
I spoke too soon...today it has been changed to MTV is coming in 3 hr blocks now.

Shawguy

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-03, 03:05 PM

I live just outside of Edmonton they are simply showing old re runs of Talk TV with the bug reading MTV Comming 21.03.06
post #63 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-03, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king01
I live just outside of Edmonton they are simply showing old re runs of Talk TV with the bug reading MTV Comming 21.03.06
Same here, with expressvu.

post #64 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 12:56 AM

And Star Choice is back to the regular TalkTV guide. Will be madness never end!?
post #65 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite
And Star Choice is back to the regular Talk TV guide. Will be madness never end!?
I hope so. I looks like MTV will just be Talk TV 2.0 with whatever MTV content they can get away with. I hope they don't plan on airing E Talk Daily or a lot of lookalike shows around the clock.
post #66 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 10:45 AM
Veteran

I would guess that Etalk will probably air sevreal times daily. It is one of the few talktv shows that can actually fit into the MTV brand.
post #67 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ77
I would guess that Etalk will probably air sevreal times daily. It is one of the few talktv shows that can actually fit into the MTV brand.
Not well I may add!
post #68 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 11:44 AM

The article indicates that MTV Canada's schedule will consist of a very high percentage of CRTC mandated CanCon and the channel will be used to provide a "second window" for CTV produced programs.

CTV offered no additional programming details on the Canadianized MTV channel, beyond promising announcements in the coming days.

These are expected to include the rechristened MTV channel providing a second window for CTV's popular youth drama "Degrassi: The Next Generation," "etalk daily," a celebrity-driven magazine series, and the 2006 Juno Awards, Canada's music awards to be produced by CTV from Halifax on April 2, with Pamela Anderson hosting.

The existing talktv licensing conditions call for 71% Canadian-content programming in primetime, a regulatory requirement that MTV has pledged to follow.

The article also, says that "Toronto-based CTV said the Canadianized MTV channel, essentially a rebrand of its existing talktv specialty channel reaching 4.4 million households, will go live as part of a licensing agreement with MTV Networks International that was announced last September."

Last edited by lprice99; 2006-03-04 at 12:06 PM.
post #69 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 12:02 PM
Digital Sage

So in other words, we're better off with the real MTV.
post #70 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprice99
The existing talktv licensing conditions call for 71% Canadian-content programming in primetime, a regulatory requirement that MTV has pledged to follow.[/URL]
.[/I]"
And Not well at that! I believe in Quality over Quanity it's obvious that the backwards mentality of the CRTC wins again!
post #71 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 06:31 PM
Veteran

I'm pretty sure that Degrassi won't be airing on MTV, atleast for now because talktv/MTV isn't licenced to show ongoing comedic/dramatic series
post #72 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 07:01 PM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
Maybe Talk TV to MTV will be like;

The Nashville Network to The National Network to The NEW TNN, to Spike TV, and over each change, little changes in programming happened, but nothing too serious at once, and the CRTC just kept letting it slide as its already on the air so they didn't remove it, so maybe if MTV moves slowly towards the MTV we all know and love, they will get away with it, only time will tell.

Shawguy

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company
post #73 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-04, 07:59 PM

Here's a quote from another Globe and Mail article that presents a pretty bleak picture of MTV's programming...
Quote:
But here's the thing: Don't expect (or fear) wall-to-wall hip-hop videos any time soon. Because of more arcane fine print in CRTC rules, CTV can't budge from the stipulations under which it first won the Talktv licence. In other words, MTV Canada will have to be Talktv with lots of loud music until it can convince the CRTC otherwise.
post #74 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-05, 04:11 PM
Veteran

Lets remember that most of MTV's programs are reality/documentary that have little or nothing to do with music and along with MTV Live, etalk daily, Vicki Encore (assuming) and the other new Cancon we will have an MTV Channel that we can call ours (I hope)

Another detail-Part of the CTV/MTV deal was for CTV to create Cancon to be shown on all CTV platforms and MTV stations around that world.
post #75 of 143 (permalink) Old 2006-03-07, 01:49 AM

MTV's New site

MTV Canada updated there site. All it has is some guy licking the floor and the launch date. www.mtv.ca

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in