Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Discovery Channel (US) SpaceX Launch

6K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Discovery Channel and Discovery Science channels in the US have scheduled the showing of programs related to the launch next week of the SpaceX Falcon9 / Dragon 2 crew spacecraft.
Apparently the corresponding channels available in the Canadian market have deemed it not important to show these shows.
So instead of showing relevant science-based programming, Discovery would rather show crap. (I looked for a better word but crap represents my feelings pretty well).
Ever since Discovery cancelled Daily Planet they have gone downhill and should be ashamed to call themselves Discovery or Science.

#2 ·
The problem may be that the SpaceX special is produced for Discovery Channel by a little company called Storied Media Group, so who knows what would be involved in getting the Canadian rights. The only other program that company produced for Discovery recently was Small Town Throwdown, which also wan't picked up in Canada.

Disney is also producing a SpaceX special through its ABC News and National Geographic divisions, which also won't be available on Nat Geo Canada. The press release mentions several sources for ABC News including Roku and YouTube, so it may be available that way.

I saw a promo on NASA TV yesterday for their coverage. Here's their current schedule and a PDF for the week of May 25.

#3 ·
The problem may be that the SpaceX special is produced for Discovery Channel by a little company called Storied Media Group, so who knows what would be involved in getting the Canadian rights. The only other program that company produced for Discovery recently was Small Town Throwdown, which also wan't picked up in Canada.

Disney is also producing a SpaceX special through its ABC News and National Geographic divisions, which also won't be available on Nat Geo Canada. The press release mentions several sources for ABC News including Roku and YouTube, so it may be available that way.

I saw a promo on NASA TV yesterday for their coverage. Here's their current schedule and a PDF for the week of May 25.

#4 ·
#10 ·
NASA on Rogers Cable is 720P. Discovery is 1080i. There are no 1080P "broadcast" channels.

#14 · (Edited)
NASA TV
May 30, Saturday
11 a.m. - continuous live coverage begins
3:22 p.m. - launch scheduled
6:30 p.m. - post-launch news conference

May 31, Sunday
10:27 a.m. - Docking of the SpaceX/DM-2 Crew Dragon

EDIT: Discovery Canada and Discovery Science will carry the U.S. programming after all, 2-4 PM ET.
CNN and Fox News have an hour scheduled from 3-4 PM ET.
ABC, CBS and MSNBC will break in to cover the launch live and I'm sure CTV News and CBC News Network will as well.

#26 · (Edited)
EDIT: Saturday’s planned SpaceX/NASA mission launch has been scrubbed and rescheduled for a day later due to a bad weather forecast. Discovery will begin their live coverage at 5 p.m. ET on Sunday.

SPACE LAUNCH LIVE: CREW-1 LIFT OFF will air live on Discovery U.S. No indication that Discovery Canada will carry the program.

Here's the updated NASA schedule for the first official mission since the test mission in May.

Nov. 15, Sunday
3:15 p.m. – Coverage of the launch of the SpaceX Crew-1 Mission on the “Resilience” Crew Dragon to the ISS. Launch scheduled at 7:27 p.m. EST; continuous coverage through docking and hatch opening
9:30 p.m. – NASA/ SpaceX Crew-1 postlaunch news conference (time is subject to change)

November 16, Monday
11 p.m. - Docking of the SpaceX “Resilience” Crew Dragon and the Crew-1 Crew to the ISS

Nov. 17, Tuesday
1:40 a.m. - Welcoming Ceremony for the SpaceX “Resilience” Crew Dragon Crew-1 Crew
2 a.m. (approximately) - SpaceX Crew-1 Mission post-docking news conference

#28 ·
Space Launch LIVE: Shatner in Space Airing Live on Discovery and Science Channel, Wednesday, October 13, 8:30 -10:30 AM (U.S. Press Release) Star Trek star William Shatner takes his first flight into space at the age of 90 on Blue Origin's New Shepard. This will be the second-ever crewed spaceflight for Blue Origin after its inaugural crewed flight launched founder Jeff Bezos and three other passengers on a 10-minute trip to space and back in July.

The event isn't listed on Zap2it for Discovery Canada, but you never know. I thought Bell Media might show the launch given Shatner's Canadian roots and their large investment in the Star Trek franchise on CTV Sci-Fi and Crave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.