The Very Long Gaps Between Seasons - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Smokin Joe
  • 2 Post By JamesK
  • 1 Post By flaminghomer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-04, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

The Very Long Gaps Between Seasons

The maximum break for a tv show to air should be 12 months or less and let's get rid of the ”fall finales” that has become more popular lately and only take one-two weeks off the air, not 4-8 weeks( I'm looking at you walking dead) I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
https://nypost.com/2019/08/02/tv-is-...tween-seasons/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dm_4u, flaminghomer and Inglewood like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-04, 03:17 PM
Veteran

There's also the issue of short seasons. When I was a kid, a season lasted 39 weeks. Now some shows call 8 weeks or so a "season". Also, years ago, if a new show started "mid season" it was to replace a show that bombed, not one that had a short season.
dm_4u and flaminghomer like this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 02:36 PM

Maybe I'm getting up there, but it's getting to the point where by the time the next season starts, I've almost forgotten what happened last season. Or I haven't forgotten but don't really care anymore.
andyk likes this.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 03:30 PM

Many of the newer high-end Canadian dramas tend to have only 6 episode seasons. That's easily "I forgot I even watched the show"-tier.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 05:15 PM

I had that feeling with Game of Thrones as the seasons unfolded and to be honest for this last one I really didnt care anymore... I just wanted it to be over.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-05, 07:42 PM
Veteran

The 22+ episodes a season was mostly an American thing. The U.K. and other places had 13 episodes max. There's so much good stuff available now that I don't care how many episodes there are in a season. I'd rather watch 10, tightly written episodes than 22, stuffed with filler and flab.

--
Neil
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-06, 02:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I'd rather watch 10, tightly written episodes than 22, stuffed with filler and flab.
I prefer 3, 4, 5, or 6 episodes to an obviously drawn out 10. It's getting to the point where some series are just too slow be be enjoyable. 22 episodes work for episodic shows where story lines are wrapped up in 1 or 2 episodes. It may work for a long or densely written book but 6 or 10 would usually be better. Traditionally, most book length stories were told in a 2 hour movie. That was often too short but stretching it out to twenty 55 minute episodes over two years is often a bit too extreme in the other direction.

The only reason the first 6 seasons of Game of thrones work as well as they do is because they are taken from 5 very well written books. Stretch it out too much, delay airing too long or use less capable writing and it fails, as can be seen in seasons 7 and 8.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-06, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Another problem is they'll show a few episodes, then reruns, a couple more episodes, more reruns, etc. Sometimes the reruns will be from the current season, others from previous years. Very annoying.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-06, 08:15 PM
Veteran

It's easy to see why that happens on network TV. New episodes of popular series are timed to coincide with sweeps ratings and the most popular viewings time slots. Get a conflict like top rated sports playoffs or a holiday weekend like Thanksgiving and they will show a rerun. Audience size is also why there are fewer new shows in Summer. It's all down to audience size and related advertising income. Premium specialty channels don't care as much as they rely only on subscription income and they let viewers catch up with VOD.

The future of TV is VOD. Netflix has set the bar by dropping complete new series, and multiple movies and specials every week. It's hard for specialty channels and networks to compete with that, especially when Netflix charges a fraction of the cost of a BDU TV subscription. That's why people are cutting the cord. It's only going to get worse as companies like Disney claw back their programming for their own streaming services. Conventional TV channels that don't produce their own content are going to run out of new programming and broadcasters will have difficulty justifying their existence.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-06, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

I’d prefer that cable and premium movie channel shows should have a minimum of 13 episodes while I’d like to see network shows have a minimum of 24 episodes per season. My grandmother has been slowly watching the entire series of Dallas on DVD as we got her the whole series set this past March for her birthday and I have seen the odd episode while over visiting and I was amazed that some seasons had 30 episodes/per season and the episodes are between 49-53 minutes per episode that’s awesome. I don’t watch many network shows anymore but I’d definitely go for more episodes per season with a shorter break during off seasons. I also remember back when fall seasons used to start between first - third week of September now we are lucky enough for some shows to start before Halloween. Another example is the walking dead, I strictly purchase the show on Blu-Ray now and don’t watch it on AMC. I like the fact that they do 16 episode seasons which is good for a cable show but the 2 to 3 month break from episodes 8,9 is too much maybe 3 weeks in December but not 2+ months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 09:27 AM
Veteran

It's little strange that you'd set a minimum output level for a creative endeavour. Sure, there are soap operas, but most high-quality shows require a little more creative effort and time. It's kind of like you're saying you prefer books having a minimum of 600 pages.

--
Neil
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-08-07, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
The 22+ episodes a season was mostly an American thing. The U.K. and other places had 13 episodes max.
UK is very variable, and many Prime Time series have been greater than 13 episodes. Look at Casuallty - it was 15 episodes most years originally, but 24 to 28 episodes starting in Season 7, and now 44 to 48 episodes a year.

Lots of other examples too. And this isn't new either ... Z-Cars (a cop show) did 12 seasons over 17 years, and over 800 episodes in the 1960s and 1970s.

The perception that UK series are always shorter, is because the quality stuff that tends to air more often here is shorter - ignoring the Prime Time soaps that can do 100 episodes a year ... which far exceeds the US where Prime Time soaps like Dallas and Dynasty were seldom greater than 30 a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
There's so much good stuff available now that I don't care how many episodes there are in a season. I'd rather watch 10, tightly written episodes than 22, stuffed with filler and flab.
Indeed! And there's so many shows I've not seen, that already have a few seasons available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in