Missing the endings of Veep on HBO (Also GoT, Barry) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Missing the endings of Veep on HBO (Also GoT, Barry)

Since the new season of Veep began, each time I record an episode on the PVR, I never get to see the last five minutes of the show. Is it because the preceding programme "Barry" goes long or is it because the show before that,"The Game of Thrones" goes from 8 p.m. to 9:20 p.m. (PDT)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 06:23 AM

I've seen the same thing with Rogers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 11:51 AM

I got this on Bell too. I think the blame goes to HBO for this. My example is from 3 weeks ago when GoT was one hour. HBO planned Game of Thrones 21:00 - 22:00, Barry 22:00 - 22:30, Veep 22:30 - 23:00 and Last Week Tonight 23:00 - 23:30. In reality, that episode of GoT ran for 58 minutes and then HBO put plenty of internal promotions after that. Barry then started around 22:10 and so forth. So the end of Barry was at the beginning of Veep and so on.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 12:20 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm on Rogers and I always extend (non-live) recordings by 5 minutes by default. I rarely miss an ending. A few weeks ago, however, I missed the beginning of Barry, so I modified my Barry series settings to add 5 minutes to the start as well as the end...

Luckily, all of this stuff is repeated during the week and is available on-demand, in case something untoward happens.

For live events, I extend by 1-3 hours depending on how much I care about that event and past experience.
whitbyterry likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I always record the show that comes right after "60 Minutes" when I see that there is football, golf,or a basketball game preceding it. Football usually goes 20 minutes past the scheduled time. I guess I'll have to start doing this if I want to see the full "Veep." The part that really P.O.s me is: the ending usually has one of the characters make a very clever comment that highlights the political hypocrisy theme of the show.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 11:16 PM
Veteran

I'm finding that extending shows by 15 minutes is necessary with HBO on Sunday evenings. Their schedule is typically delayed by 5 or more minutes due to shows running long. What really bugs me is that they still stick in several minutes of promos even when the show is starting and ending late. Programming practices at HBO Canada have become a lot worse since Bell bought Astral. It seems like Bell thinks self serving promos are more important than keeping programming on schedule or responding to customer concerns.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 09:52 AM

This is happening to me each Sunday for Barry as well - the last few minutes just aren't on the recording. Bell Media needs to adjust their Guide to reflect their actual airing times. Since nothing "live" is airing on the channel, there's no legitimate reason for airings to run longer than they're programmed for, unlike channels like FOX that have live sports (the 60 Minutes example).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 10:18 AM
Veteran

The guide for HBO was incorrect again last night. Some shows started 15 minutes early resulting in missing the beginning of the show. In addition, Game of Thrones was a new episode but not listed as such, resulting in new show timers failing to fire. For this they charge $20/mo?! What incompetence.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 01:44 PM

This isn't the first time they didn't include the New flag in the metadata. Shaw Direct got lots of complaints two or three weeks ago of the same. I'm going to escalate to my contacts at Bell Media over here, because you're right - it's a premium product that shouldn't have recurring issues like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 04:32 PM
Veteran

TMN rarely had the new flag correct for Showtime programming. Sometimes they had it for the first episode in a series and not the rest. Don't recall them having it on new movies either. The rebranding changed nothing in that regard. HBO Canada has always been reliable but it looks like that may have changed. Guide errors appear to have become worse since the rebranding by Bell.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 04:45 PM

The "New Flag" on Game of Thrones last night was probably an error by the TV guide service that Shaw and Rogers use (I believe they use the same one.) I double-checked Zap2it and it was listed as "New". I've always found that Tribune Media (now part of Gracenote, owned by Nielsen) has been more accurate than the other company.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 05:23 PM

Shaw Direct was flagged as new. Recorded fine and ended at correct time. I was watching but could see the record indicator.

LONSat
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 08:11 PM
Veteran

It might have been a Rogers specific issue. I see things every week that look like guide errors. On the other hand, some guide services may obtain their information from other sources or correct errors and omissions made by Canadian broadcasters.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-13, 11:30 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by k801809 View Post
This is happening to me each Sunday for Barry as well - the last few minutes just aren't on the recording.
As I mentioned a few posts up, it's a good idea to extend recordings by 5 minutes at least - that's my default. I did catch the end of this weeks' Barry with those 5 minutes, even though Barry was late starting.

I also noted that the Rogers digital cable IPG Info is incorrect for next Sunday - it states that it's S2E1 (with a NEW tag, which makes no sense), whereas it's actually S2E8. Anyplace (and I assume IgniteTV) has the correct information.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-05-14, 10:30 AM

I've just been watching it on VOD to make sure I get the full program, at least HBO is generally good at delivering their files on time to be uploaded on VOD for the next day.

I was thinking that perhaps they aren't marking the first airing on the West feed (HBO Canada 2) as "NEW" because it's already aired on the East feed as "NEW" (HBO Canada 1), but that wouldn't explain Rogers' issue...

Either way, a note was sent to Bell to look into it all, hopefully they fix it. Shaw (including Direct) uses Gracenote, for all platforms except the legacy (I mean really legacy) Guide set-tops. I would imagine that Ignite is using Gracenote as well (like BlueSky TV on Shaw), but I don't know for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in