Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Canada: The Story of Us

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  NovaMan 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen this excellent CBC series? It was only after the second episode that I realized that this wasn't just another history of Canada program. It's more about individuals who made it possible for Canada to become a nation-not politically or militarily-but through the actions of various individuals. I was afraid it might be another attempt to whitewash our history to make it politically correct, but that hasn't been the case so far. I've read Acadians and Quebeckers, or francophones have complained of the omission of their history (Acadia) or the way Champlain was depicted (appearing "dirty") but i guess these complaints were to be expected. Worth viewing. Heavy on the CGI and talking heads and dumb commercials and other screen distractions.

#2 ·
It's a great series - wish they would be more like a UK docu/history series - without all the BS CGI and just tell the story and alternate perspectives.

I also recently watched a UK produced show that did an excellent, and also humorous take on Canadian history and being Canadian called "Journey To The End of the World". Here is the Wikipedia on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Connolly:_Journey_to_the_Edge_of_the_World

Not sure if it ever aired in Canada.

I wish the CBC would commission some shows that are in other countries as well.

A show like "Coast" would be awesome - not only our ocean coasts, but major rivers and lakes.

The "Walking Through History" or "Time Walk" concept in Canada would also be interesting - follow various fur trade routes, Laura Secord's walk, etc.

The UK and other countries have countless railway shows - however, why can't this concept be used on Canada's Highways?

The CBC is too busy pumping out crap like Marketplace and the last few seasons of Dragons' Den where they twist the story/outcome so much I don't know if I believe anything CBC produces.

CTV, Global can step up as well. CTV's only attempt is W5 which seems to be clickbait lately, or the same undercover investigations of car dealers, Global cancelled 16X9 - but it was on par with Jerry Springer and Maury Povich near the end of it's run. TVO subsidizes a few good docs a year, and I do enjoy the odd Vice on CITY.

#3 ·
The Story of Us controversy - CBC News | The National

Part of the problem with this series may be the title, "The Story of Us", when it seems as though so many of us have been left out of the series.

Today, NS Premier Stephen McNeil is calling on the CBC to set the record straight on Port Royal's place in Canadian history. He also asked for an apology to the people of Nova Scotia, including the Mi'kmaq, the Acadians, and the citizens of Annapolis Royal.

Is it really a story about us if it leaves "us" out of it?

#9 ·
As someone from away, who chose to retire to the Annapolis Valley, an hour from Annapolis Royal, I find the irony here quite annoying: celebration of a shared history has left out, even alienated, some the key founders. It's difficult to please everyone, granted, and there's always politics in telling history, since history is essentially storytelling by the powerful group of the day, but Nova Scotia has a legitimate gripe. My hometown of Calgary, for instance, would never accept a snub like this one; neither should Annapolis Royal.

A prequel to the series would help. Unfortunately, the producers of the series don't have the talent and knowledge of former CBC executive producer Mark Starowicz, who produced the acclaimed series, Canada: A People's History.

BTW, if anyone has the chance to visit NS, don't confine your visit to Halifax and the predictable tourist site, Peggy's Cove. The Annapolis Valley is absolutely beautiful, with verdant orchards and vineyards featuring views of the Minas Basin tides. It's even hot and sunny tee shirt and flops weather in summer -- much warmer than elsewhere in the "fresh" Maritimes, often 10 degrees hotter; hence, the vineyards and peaches. Think southern Ontario or a much more humid Shuswap. Moreover, Annapolis Royal features a heritage garden, besides the history of 1605 settlement, that was declared Canada's best last year. The competition includes Butchart Gardens in Victoria. Bring your camera.

#10 ·
On a positive note, it is getting Canadians to talk about our history.
I found the stories they are talking about to be interesting.

Of course they are going to cut out some things that occurred in 250 years of Canadian History when you have a limited budget, one filming location, and only 10 x (3 x 15 minute segments to tell your stories).

When John Oliver can spend 15 minutes just summarizing what Donald Trump did the previous week... things will be cut out when you have 45 minutes to cover a 100 years of history.

As I told my 12 year old son who is watching this program as part of his Social Studies class, "Of course the book is always better than the movie!" ;)

#11 ·
CBC apologizes to those who 'felt misrepresented' by Canada: The Story of Us - Entertainment - CBC News

CBC is apologizing to those who "felt misrepresented" by the new miniseries Canada: The Story of Us. ha ha

In the third episode I had just one question: "What is this Toronto, Ontario that they are speaking of, and how did the people that suddenly appear in this place get there?" Then they mention another place for the first time, Nova Scotia. Again, I asked myself where did these people come from and how did they get here? :) This third episode is not about entrepreneurs, but is about the War of 1812, and there are many people mentioned for the first time, but if you did not read the "history book" you would be hard pressed to figure out where all these people came from.

#12 ·
And at first they said they wouldn't apologize. I wonder if all the bad publicity made them change their mind? I wonder if Ken Burns had done it, if he would have gone in deeper details and not forget the Rest of Us?

#13 ·
Press Release: Deep concern about the educational value of the series The Story of Us
The Canadian Teachers' Federation (CTF) has joined the Fédération nationale des conseils scolaires francophones (FNCSF) (National Federation of Francophone School Boards) in notifying the CBC ombudsman of their deep concern about the educational value of the series The Story of Us.

"We are concerned that the CBC wishes to give the series exposure in elementary and secondary schools across Canada via its Curio platform," says CTF President Heather Smith. "Our organizations are unable to vouch for the educational value of the series in its existing form," she adds.

#14 · (Edited)
I wasn't aware it was the job of the Canadian Teachers Federation to "vouch" for anything, and I taught for 30 years. What I used to teach my kids is that if you come across something that interests you and encourages you to dig deeper, then it has "educational value". I don't know why we can't put a historical documentary on TV without everyone not getting bent out of shape over it. We really are a fragile nation if we can't deal with controversy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.