Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Super Channel programming discussion

75K views 240 replies 20 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Super Channel kicks off new sports programming sub-brand with the acquisition of popular US sports

Super Channel is pleased to announce that it has acquired the rights to the popular US sports franchise, Legends Football League (LFL) and its weekly television ratings-hit, 'LFL Football Night.'

The LFL will make its Canadian broadcast debut on Saturday, April 22 at 9 p.m. ET (SC1) and serve as the flagship franchise to a new sports programming sub-brand, Super Channel SPORTS, a collection of exclusive sporting events and sports themed programming which will air on Super Channel and Super Channel On Demand.

The exclusive three-year deal will make Super Channel SPORTS the home of LFL Football Night through the 2019 season.

The LFL has become one of the fastest-emerging sports franchises on television, having been broadcast to a staggering 190+ television territories around the world on major television networks such as NBCUniversal, MTV Networks, SKY, ESPN International, SBS Broadcasting, Televisa and many more.

"Canada has always been a major priority in building the LFL into a global sport. This partnership with Super Channel SPORTS will be vital in
introducing the sport nationally in anticipation of LFL Canada's formal launch in Vancouver, Regina, Calgary and Toronto," said Mitchell S. Mortaza, Managing Partner, Legends Football League, LLC.

Alongside the full-length games in HD, Super Channel SPORTS will also broadcast and make available online various complementary LFL programming, including player and team features as well as incredible access for viewers with short-form programming, taking fans inside the game.

In addition to the LFL, Super Channel SPORTS will provide subscribers with a range of other sports related content in the form of live sports events, sports documentaries, sports docuseries, specialty shows and biographical movies. Super Channel SPORTS will carry up to a maximum of 20 hours of live sports programming per week, that will also be available to subscribers on Super Channel On Demand.

More information on featured programming can be found on the Super Channel SPORTS page at www.superchannel.ca/sports.

#4 ·
I'm surprised this softcore adult entertainment masquerading as a sporting event still exists...

And to launch a re-branded "sports" channel with this is just sad.

Is it true they changed there league name after a few of the teams started hiring women that actually could play football, instead of lingerie models?

#7 ·
When LFL Canada existed, I went to both Saskatoon Sirens home games. The games actually are decent football and after a few plays you stopped worrying about what they were or were not wearing and I started cheering just like I do at Riders games. Saskatoon drew around 5,000 for each of the games, so it wasn't that bad. Of course, the next season Saskatoon players complained about safety issues (which are very true considering they play full contact football in a pair of hockey shoulder pads and a hockey helmet) and the league ended up shutting down. I notice that every city is back according to the press release above, except for Saskatoon.

I will definitely watch these games and it won't be for titillation. The vast majority of players have college sports backgrounds. I think many were track and field athletes in college, as well as a few softball, basketball and soccer players. The league stopped having models play, when they went to a league format and stopped paying players. Aside from the US imports the Sirens had, the vast majority of the local players came from the WWCFL's five time champion Saskatoon Valkyries.

#8 ·
I do and was disappointed to see it shut down. I enjoyed watching the NWHL and WNBA games they showed. I am a guy, but am a big fan of women's sports. I watch all the CWHL and WNBA games I can find. Next season, I am planning a trip to Seattle to see my Storm play and would like to go to an Inferno game in Calgary.

#6 ·
I always wondered why they called it WTSN (Women's The Sports Network) instead of TWSN (The Women's Sports Network)...They may have survived if they had all women's poker, billiards, and darts on during the afternoon.

Anyways, they wouldn't have touched LFL with a 10 foot pole...

#10 · (Edited)
I found the following new(ish) series on the Super Channel site (All times Eastern)

Close to the Enemy Ep 01 Apr 12 | 11:00PM | SC1 (U.S. - Acorn Network)
The Great Train Robbery Ep 01 Apr 02 | 8:00PM | SC1 (UK)
ICE Ep 01 Mar 6 | 10:00PM | SC1 (U.S. - AT&T Audience Network)
Line of Duty S3 Ep 02 Mar 09 | 10:00PM | SC1 (UK)
National Treasure Ep 01 Apr 09 | 10:00PM | SC1 (UK)
When Calls the Heart S3 Ep 01Mar 27 | 8:00PM | SC1 (U.S. Hallmark)
The White Princess Apr 16 | 9:00PM | SC1 (STARZ)

#11 · (Edited)
Starz announced the Season Four return of "Power" on Sunday, June 25. (10 one-hour episodes) (Source)

Super Channel is still showing reruns of season 3, so they will probably air season 4.

Harlots | Super Channel is listed as premiering on May 04 at 9:00PM on SC1. The program was released weekly on HULU starting March 29.

Berlin Station | Super Channel premieres May 15 at 10:00PM on SC1. The series was shown on EPIX in the U.S. last fall and has been renewed for a second season.

#14 ·
Fortitude season 2 premiered June 12. Episode 1 will re-air on SC1 on JUNE 15 at 10 PM, 4 PM and JUNE 16 at 2 AM ET. Episode 2 will air Monday, JUNE 19 at 9 PM. The season is available On Demand until Jan. 31 2018.

Line of Duty Season 4 premieres JULY 24 at 10 PM on SC1. The season is available On Demand July 25 2017 - Sept. 30 2017

#21 ·
Super Channel is still under Bankruptcy Protection, so they are on a very tight budget under the supervision of a court-appointed monitor.

They will probably continue to run the old series like Power on time since they have long-term contracts and have to make scheduled payments.

The situation is more uncertain with series like Berlin Station and Graves. They may have picked them up late, but will run season 2 on time or they just be going one season at a time and will pick up season 2 if and when they can afford it.

#22 ·
I thought SC was pretty good at airing shows day and date? Not months later.
My experience is that SC runs shows from several days to several weeks behind US networks. Even worse is that a lot of the shows are from standard tier cable channels in the US but sold at a premium price on SC. If they weren't on SC, we would likely see them on standard tier channels at cheaper prices or on TMN with simultaneous airings with the US network. TMN and HBO Canada usually air series simultaneously with their originating channels, SC not as often.

#27 ·