Described Video Format - ARRRRGH ! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Described Video Format - ARRRRGH !

Help! I am going insane with described video that is being broadcast on the CBC lately. Please don't misunderstand - I know how indispensable this must be for those that need the service and it's great of the CBC to offer it to those that need it. What I don't understand is that I have the PVR programmed to record - Murdoch Mysteries, X Company and the Nature of Things - all excellent shows offered on CBC. All of the recorded programs were in the normal format until 3 weeks ago and then all of a sudden, for no good reason that I can discern, they started to come in with the described video format. It's not like I did anything at this end. Did the CBC change their broadcast from the old to this new, at least for me, format? Is there any way to do away with the described video format once it's been recorded and residing on the PVR? You will note on my profile the components of my modest home theater setup and hopefully that will help in advising me how to get back to normal TV programming.

Cheers, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 09:58 PM

Described video is handled like a alternate language. When a recording is made all languages contained by the program are recorded. You should be able to restore normal non described English by going into the language settings of the PVR and selecting English. It is probably set to Described (or something similar).

Rogers Employee. My posts should not be considered as coming from an authorized corporate source.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7nsmsj7yr...rmony.jpg?dl=0

And how do I do that? Are these language settings on the PVR itself or do I access these settings through the remote that I use (which I have enclosed a picture of). The odd thing is that all the programming used to come in the normal settings then out of the blue they consistently came in the described video format. I certainly didn't change anything by design but perhaps I pushed a button on the remote that somehow resulted in the change.

Cheers, John

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 03:40 PM

It depends on your TV provider's hardware. There may be a setting in the PVR menus itself (and you may have hit a button to change it by accident), or for some providers who don't support that, you might be recording from a DV channel and need to switch your recordings to another CBC channel.

Given the hardware you're using, I'm guessing you're on Shaw. You may have hit a button on your Harmony remote that did it, but as I don't know which, it's better to go through the menus. Here's the instructions from them for turning it on, so it should be similar for turning it off:

Quote:
DVS can be activated on a Shaw Digital Box, HD Box or HDPVR through the programming guide. Depending on which programming guide you have, there are different ways to access your DVS settings.

If you are using Shaw’s traditional guide with a blue background, using your remote, press Settings twice, then Setup, then Audio Setup and then select Descriptive Audio Service and press the > arrow key and OK to turn on the service.

If you are using Shaw's new HD guide with a dark grey or transparent background, press the Menu button on your remote. Select Settings, then Audio Settings, press the > arrow key to highlight DVS. Arrow down and move the slider over to On.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 04:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I see from your profile you have a Motorola DCT6416 III. Here's the FAQ on Motorola PVRs:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-5...inks-tips.html

I'm not familiar with these PVRs, but is the DV setting (Language?) under "Subtitle"? (Or as mentioned in the post above?)

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to...title_Settings

Some providers have specific channels for DV stations. Have you tried a different channel to record/watch CBC?

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-h...ing-forum.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 07:53 PM

I've seen this happen once with a CTV recording on Shaw with the DCX3400. Whatever happened there was nothing in the settings that could fix that. Fortunately it was just a one time thing.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2iconf0p5m...video.jpg?dl=0

Hey - thanks to all for the suggestions provided. I had no idea that you could access the Audio Setup through the remote. But as the attachment shows, I managed to find it and when I first opened the Audio Setup window, the settings were as follows -

Default Audio Track - Default
Descriptive Video Service - Off

So the DVS was already off which is kind of strange since you would think that it would prevent me from getting a Described Video version of the show and it clearly didn't. I don't know what the Default setting for the Default Audio Track means but I changed this setting to - English. So now, with the settings at - DAT - English - DVS - Off - hopefully I will not be getting any more Described Video programming.I am also going to contact the CBC to ask them whether they have designated a specific channel to DV programs and if I exclude that particular channel - will I then be assured of normal programming? Thanks again for all the help and hopefully I'll be able to watch the excellent CBC shows in the normal format.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 11:18 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It looks like you're with NorthWesTel. They may be doing something similar to Bell TV (Satellite) where they have certain channels that are designated for DV. If that's the case, this has nothing to do with the CBC, but rather you simply need to tune to the "correct" CBC channel that doesn't have DV.

If you don't have an alternate CBC channel, then it's possible that NorthWesTel is obtaining the incorrect feed from CBC. You would need to contact your provider about this, perhaps copying the CBC.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 07:45 PM

the first time i saw the new show with jennifer lopez, shades of blues, it was in spanish on the american network. I am with videotron and i figure it out how to remove those. I hate describe video.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in