Star Trek: Discovery discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Star Trek: Discovery discussion

Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Apparently it will be based on the "reboot" time line. I was a big Star Trek fan as a kid when ST:TNG was running. This was especially true for The Best of Both Worlds between seasons 3 and 4. I must confess that I'm really excited about the prospect of more Star Trek on TV. I hope they don't screw it up.

I'm also hoping that we get long story arcs. In the past Star Trek tended to stick with story lines that "put things back where they found them" at the end of the hour. Presumably this was because TV episodes were designed so that new viewers could jump in at any time without confusion. But with modern streaming solutions to deliver TV in-order and on demand, I think that that long story arcs makes for better story telling.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-09-08 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Updated title and moved thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 01:25 PM

I saw the press release earlier. Only the first episode will be broadcast on CBS.
Quote:
CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.
It will be interesting to see how it's distributed in Canada, possibly on a specialty channel or a streaming service.
Quote:
CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally For Television and Multiple Platforms
post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 02:12 PM

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how it's distributed in Canada, possibly on a specialty channel or a streaming service.
I could see Crave or Shomi snatching up the rights for distribution in Canada.

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 04:59 PM

I would suspect a Crave/Space combo. Which one gets the 'first run' is up for debate.

LONSat
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 06:33 PM
Veteran

Seems likely to bomb, honestly. I'm not sure Star Trek is big enough anymore to get the kind of number of subscribers CBS would need. Too bad, would have been a great offering for Netflix or something.
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure Star Trek is big enough anymore to get the kind of number of subscribers CBS would need.
I don't know, Star Trek Into Darkness brought in ~$467 million in worldwide box office sales (citation), which is pretty good. Much better than what many of the previous TNG-based movies brought in - and TNG was a very successful TV series by most measures.

If there is any connection between success on TV and success on the "big screen", I'd say that Star Trek should do very well on TV.

I think there are a lot of Sci-Fi fans out there, and they're relatively under-served. The real question is: can Star Trek be profitable on TV. If they can keep their production budget under control, I think they certainly can make a good business case. Plus, modern Sci-Fi has a cost advantage; it costs much less to do special effects compared to the 10+ years ago, and that type of show tends to need more special effects than your average TV program.
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 09:09 PM

According to this article, in the US, the new Star Trek will be exclusive to CBS All Access (6$ per month).

Star Trek is getting a new TV series, but for streaming only
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 10:03 PM
Veteran

So Canada could be an advantage here if CTV, Global, City or Space or another channel picks it up.
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-03, 09:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
If there is any connection between success on TV and success on the "big screen", I'd say that Star Trek should do very well on TV.
I'm not concerned about it, if it's on TV. But they're saying it'll be on a CBS specific subscription streaming service, and that's a whole other ball of wax.

If they're also airing it on TV, it has a better chance, for sure.
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-03, 09:56 AM
Veteran

Based on the reboot? Oh noooooo!!! That means an hour of lens flares each and every week!
eljay likes this.
post #11 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-03, 06:37 PM

Those one hour shows when Kirk spoke could actually be 35 minutes long if you speed up his speeches.
eljay likes this.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #12 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-03, 06:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Apparently it will be based on the "reboot" time line.
What's the basis for that observation? The stuff I've seen haven't indicated one way or another.

Quote:
I'm also hoping that we get long story arcs. In the past Star Trek tended to stick with story lines that "put things back where they found them" at the end of the hour.
I agree, though Deep Space Nine was better at having character development and story arcs.

Hard to say where it will land in Canada. There's already series that air on streaming services in the US, that are on regular channels in Canada. For example, the current season of The Mindy Project, which airs on Hulu in the USA, and a few weeks later on City TV in Canada (Sundays at 8 pm).
post #13 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-04, 09:27 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster View Post
Those one hour shows when Kirk spoke could actually be 35 minutes long if you speed up his speeches.
Do not blaspheme The Shat.

P.S. If you watch Shatner's World he has an explanation for his "style".
post #14 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-04, 09:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
What's the basis for that observation? The stuff I've seen haven't indicated one way or another.
The producers/show-runners were involved in the reboot franchise, and I'd read somewhere that the TV series will follow the alternate timeline established in the first reboot film.
post #15 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-04, 10:59 AM

I have a feeling that the new reboot will air on Space and CraveTV.

Tags
bell media , cravetv , space channel , star trek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in