Star Trek: Discovery discussion - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 128 (permalink) Old 2017-10-23, 11:38 AM

Star Trek Discovery Renewed for Second Season

Star Trek: Discovery has been renewed for a second season, it was announced today by CBS All Access.

Star Trek: Discovery streams Sunday nights on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Space Channel in Canada.

Comment: No specific announcement about season 2 on Space, but I'm sure it will happen since Bell Media has been bragging about the ratings (see post 74.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 128 (permalink) Old 2017-10-23, 12:41 PM
Veteran

The F-bomb was completely unnecessary. IMO, of course. A show about gangs or cops or whatever, set in the *real* universe, I can see how it would be appropriate. But the Star Trek universe is a somewhat idealized utopia where no-one is fat or bald or sick if they don't want to be, no one is poor, no one is underprivileged in any way (i.e. completely unrealistic). And until now no-one used vulgar words (at least not in English). There was zero need for these two, and they did not add anything to the story.
post #93 of 128 (permalink) Old 2017-10-23, 03:58 PM

I find the new Star Trek series intriguing but will resrve judgement until the end of this season. The F-word added nothing to my enjoyment. Seemed out of place.

I echo the comments about the Klingons and their jarring appearance. This series is supposed to PRE-DATE Shatner's Star Trek missions no? Was expecting some commonality in terms of appearance and customs we have seen with past Star Trek series since this predates all others theoretically.

post #94 of 128 (permalink) Old 2017-10-23, 07:49 PM

STD predates TOS, but must be set in a parallel universe, like the new movies.
post #95 of 128 (permalink) Old 2017-10-23, 11:09 PM
s40

I personally enjoy this series more than most of the other series. I don't like the Klingons as much as the other commenters above have said, but I do like the ongoing rather than wrapping up with a happy ending each week. I have a few quibbles with some of the plot lines, but very much enjoy this series so far.
post #96 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-19, 01:04 PM
Veteran

Space re Star Trek: Discovery (?Choose Your Pain?) · Canadian Broadcast Standards Council

I wonder how much time and money had to be spent on this.

--
Neil
post #97 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-19, 01:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I wonder how much time and money had to be spent on this.
Some people need a life, if they feel they have to complain about something like that.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #98 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-19, 03:15 PM
asd

I found the first 2 episodes so bad -- wooden writing and comatose acting -- that not even authentic words like f*** could save it. I wanted to like a Star Trek reboot, made in Canada, but the show should remain undiscovered for those who enjoyed the Star Treks of the past. Maybe the show is as unnecessary as the f-bomb.
post #99 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-19, 04:06 PM

I loved it and can't wait for the new season. It's quite complex with lots of hidden meaning and references to previous years of Star Trek. Some people don't seem to understand it, but I'm sure they'll come around.

elyk
post #100 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-19, 05:15 PM

Why is that word used twice causing such a problem when it is used repeatedly in an early time-slot in The Expanse?
post #101 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-19, 05:30 PM
Veteran

The F-bomb in that show didn't even register with me when I watched the show. I found out about it some time later. Given the context, I doubt it registered with a lot of people. There is a lot of difference between uses of the word. As an expletive, as in "f-ing cool", I don't even consider it to be profane. When directed at a person or group, then I do. Any person who objects to the word in the given context needs to get their priorities reordered.

What really bothers me is when swear words are unnecessarily bleeped or cut out. I see it done often in talk shows, even some that are aired late at night after 11pm. It's sometimes jarring and ruins the show, especially when used for emphasis or comic effect. It's not that I find swearing funny but it can be used as part of a punch line or humorous exchange to increase comic effect.
post #102 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-19, 10:57 PM
Veteran

To be honest, I think if you stripped away The Orville's overtly goofy-idiotic scenes, that show is a better spiritual successor to the old Star Trek shows than the grimdark Discovery.

--
Neil
post #103 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-20, 09:46 AM
Veteran

One point that hasn't been made so far is that Star Trek Discovery was not intended for regular for regular television under the control of the FCC/CRTC. It was intended as the flagship programme for CBS's new All Access Streaming service over the internet. Neither the FCC not the CRTC has any control over the content on the internet. The series ended up on Space in Canada simply because CBS did not want to sell it to any Canadian streaming services (few in number) because it wanted to keep the series for its own Canadian version of CBS All Access which is expected to start operations this fall. Once that service starts operating I suspect the role of Space will be reduced to at the most a second run source for those who choose not subscribe to All Access. Had CBS' Canadian service been up and running in fall 2017 the series would have been streamed on it and this tempest in a teapot would never have occurred.

FTR: I like Star Trek Discovery but only as long as I treat it as a standalone show with no connection to Gene's universe.
post #104 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-20, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
The F-bomb was completely unnecessary. IMO, of course. A show about gangs or cops or whatever, set in the *real* universe, I can see how it would be appropriate. But the Star Trek universe is a somewhat idealized utopia where no-one is fat or bald or sick if they don't want to be, no one is poor, no one is underprivileged in any way (i.e. completely unrealistic). And until now no-one used vulgar words (at least not in English). There was zero need for these two, and they did not add anything to the story.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard?
post #105 of 128 (permalink) Old 2018-04-20, 10:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The series ended up on Space in Canada simply because CBS did not want to sell it to any Canadian streaming services
It's on CraveTV. Don't know why it was also on Space but it was probably a Bell decision to do so.

Tags
bell media , cravetv , space channel , star trek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in