Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Star Trek: Discovery discussion

29K views 127 replies 40 participants last post by  bobmac 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Apparently it will be based on the "reboot" time line. I was a big Star Trek fan as a kid when ST:TNG was running. This was especially true for The Best of Both Worlds between seasons 3 and 4. I must confess that I'm really excited about the prospect of more Star Trek on TV. I hope they don't screw it up.

I'm also hoping that we get long story arcs. In the past Star Trek tended to stick with story lines that "put things back where they found them" at the end of the hour. Presumably this was because TV episodes were designed so that new viewers could jump in at any time without confusion. But with modern streaming solutions to deliver TV in-order and on demand, I think that that long story arcs makes for better story telling.

#117 ·
The biggest issue I have with ST: D is that it is a prequel. As such, it has an abundance of inconsistency and creativity issues. It feels more like a sequel. One glaring example is the spore drive. Why was it was never mentioned in 'later' series?

The use of the Star Trek name is obvious. It attracts a ready made audience that any other name might not get. ST: D does a good enough job that I am willing to overlook the problems the name introduces.

#118 ·
Discovery is a totally awesome series.

I've watched all the previous 6 Trek series numerous times, likewise all the movies, read every single novel, almost every non-fiction book about Trek, gone to many conventions, met many of the actors (including a private lunch with Majel Barrett), and so on. I'm not saying this to boast or brag, but to illustrate that I've immersed myself with Star Trek for most of my 55 years of life. I love Star Trek! I love SF and have read widely and watched practically every SF TV series ever made.

Discovery isn't set in the previously known Trek universes. That is why the Klingons are different, why the technology and people are the same in some ways, yet different. Thus, these aren't inconsistencies with previous Trek, but a wondrous new canvas to creatively draw upon. The mirror universe concept is ripe to explore and Discovery has done it superbly.

It reminds me of the Battlestar Galectica reboot... similar yet so incredibly modernized and expanded.

#120 ·
Star Trek Short Treks Schedule Revealed

CBS All Access will begin to roll out Star Trek: Short Treks, the four standalone stories building toward the early 2019 return of Star Trek: Discovery. Each short will run approximately 10-15 minutes and will roll out on the following schedule:

“Runaway” – Thursday, Oct. 4
“Calypso” – Thursday, Nov. 8
“The Brightest Star” – Thursday, Dec. 6
“The Escape Artist” – Thursday, Jan. 3

No word on whether CraveTV and/or Space.ca will stream them.

----

Star Trek Discovery Heads to Blu-ray

Star Trek: Discovery: Season One will arrive on Blu-ray and DVD on November 13 from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution. The four-disc Blu-ray and DVD collections, available to U.S. and Canadian fans, will feature all 15 first-season episodes of the CBS All Access series, as well as featurettes and other special features that will include cast and crew interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, and deleted and extended scenes.

Fans in the U.S. and Canada can pre-order on Amazon.com now.

#122 ·
@gbamber: You admit that it is not the same as any previous Trek. So why don't the creators just give it a new name, place the stories in a new universe and stop trading on a well established and beloved franchise? The new Discovery series is many things, most of them good on their own, but it is not in concept or theme any part of the Star Trek we know and love. It is getting close to fraud to call it Star Trek. Star Trek series were always full of optimism and the good of humanity. The new series is nothing but paranoia, duplicity and hate portrayed almost as if they were virtues.

(Note: I'd make the same complaint against all all the remakes, reimaginings, and reboots, with which we are now being inflicted at the movies and on TV. Latest abomination: the new Magnum PI).

#123 ·
So why don't the creators just give it a new name, place the stories in a new universe and stop trading on a well established and beloved franchise?
They are profiting by trading on the name and that's the only reason. TV shows that don't get instant audiences don't get or keep advertisers and don't last as long. The history of spinoffs and sound-alike TV series has a long history. Star Trek is one of the biggest franchises to take advantage of it's name. Would Star Trek: TNG have been as popular by any other name? How about Star Trek: The Movie? How about the abundance of Law & Order and CSI spinoffs? How about all the current reboots including Magnum PI? Some of those producers tried similar shows under different names and they were cancelled quickly. Star Trek: Discovery by any other name probably wouldn't get made with the same production or promotion budget and it wouldn't attract the same quality of actors and other personnel.

#124 ·
Ever since the animated series piggy-backed on the fan-success of the original series, Star Trek has always been re-imagined. So, after TOS, nothing has been the same as the original. I remember how some people were so upset at the TNG Klingons being so different... and now it's deja vu... updated Klingons for an updated audience. STD reminds me of the latest movies which are more action-orientated, like before them The Wrath of Khan and First Contact. Yes, definitely too much action but I guess that's what younger audiences want.

Every new movie and series takes the basic Trek template and pushes it further based on contemporary effects and culture. It just can't remain stuck in the 60s. So it is the same yet not the same. Spock to Data to hologram Doctor to 7of9 to Saru .... all of them using the same character template of identity crisis/conflicts/fitting in.

I'm hoping STD develops more character-driven arcs and amusing/optimism.

I've enjoyed reading the STD novels.

#125 ·
I'm with reidw on this. TOS, TNG, DS9 (to a lesser extent), and VOY made it a point to show humanity had evolved and learned some lessons from the Eugenics Wars and WW III and was better. The characters on STD would be right at home on any of today's contemporary drama series. Show something different! The reboot films also suffer from similar issues. Pretty to look at, but the plots of the last two are paint-by-numbers yawnfests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.