Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Star Trek: Discovery discussion

29K views 127 replies 40 participants last post by  bobmac 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Apparently it will be based on the "reboot" time line. I was a big Star Trek fan as a kid when ST:TNG was running. This was especially true for The Best of Both Worlds between seasons 3 and 4. I must confess that I'm really excited about the prospect of more Star Trek on TV. I hope they don't screw it up.

I'm also hoping that we get long story arcs. In the past Star Trek tended to stick with story lines that "put things back where they found them" at the end of the hour. Presumably this was because TV episodes were designed so that new viewers could jump in at any time without confusion. But with modern streaming solutions to deliver TV in-order and on demand, I think that that long story arcs makes for better story telling.

#65 ·
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will premiere in the U.S. on CBS All Access this fall, following a broadcast premiere on the CBS Television Network. Additionally, the series will feature 15 episodes, up from the previously announced 13, and include a companion after-show, “Talking Trek,” presented on CBS All Access. The series will be distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International in Canada on Bell Media’s Space channel and OTT service CraveTV.

Source: https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=47793

#67 ·
Two possibilities:
1) watch STAR TREK: DISCOVERY on CraveTV (see post 42) but it probably won't be on there until after the first run on SPACE.
2) Bell's Alt TV (see thread). However you would have to switch to Bell's Fibe internet which is currently $64.95 for 25 or 50 Mbps for unlimited usage. Alt TV would cost $14.95/month for "skinny basic" + $7 for SPACE.

#70 · (Edited)
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Lands in Canada September 24 - Bell Media

Scheduling for one of television’s most anticipated debuts of the year was revealed today as Space confirmed that STAR TREK: DISCOVERY makes its exclusive Canadian broadcast premiere simultaneously on CTV and Space, Sunday, September 24 at 8:30 p.m. ET / 7:30 p.m. CT. Episode 2 follows immediately the same evening only on Space. The 15-episode season will roll out in two chapters, with the first eight episodes running from Sunday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Nov. 5. The second chapter resumes in January 2018. Every episode will also be available to Space subscribers on the newly launched Space GO app, in addition to being available on Space.ca and participating On Demand channels.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will also stream exclusively in Canada on CraveTV, with full scheduling details to be released in the coming weeks.

The series features a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.

Here's the press release for CBS All Access which will stream the show in the U.S. on the same schedule as SPACE airs it in Canada.
https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs...ws/star-trek-discovery/releases/view?id=48015

EDIT: CBS will also air the first episode as a teaser at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT Sunday, Sept. 24. That start time may be delayed if the NFL doubleheader runs over time. Hopefully, CTV will still start the episode on time and not delay their schedule for the simsub.

#72 ·
To start with, is the show even recorded in 4K or will they take 1080p upscaled to 4k? I'd be surprised to see a 4K distribution but then again, things are moving pretty fast in the world of TV!

#73 · (Edited)
Keep in mind that CBS is producing this for their All Access streaming service, which doesn't have 4K capability. Rumour is that they are shooting with 3.2K cameras which could be up-scaled to 4K for a future Blu-ray release. If they do distribute this in 4K, SPACE could make it available in 4K On Demand on the Fibe TV platform like they do for The Expanse.

I expect it will be distributed in HD, which will be 1080i or 720p depending on your TV provider.

I checked the official Star Trek site, which CBS owns, and there was no mention of 4K. However they had a different version of the previous press release broken out by country.
Star Trek Star Trek: Discovery Sets Premiere Date

EDIT: Here's a slightly different version of the announcement on Space.ca
The Wait Is Over-Star Trek: Discovery Finally Has A Release Date | Space

#75 ·
I have to admit that (apart from the most recent movies) I had lost interest in the Star Trek franchise. However, ST Discovery really steps up to the plate with vastly improved writing and special effects. I like Star Trek again. :) Unfortunately, ST Discovery makes the original look even more dated than it already did.

#76 ·
The Klingons were awful. Why make all those stark changes in appearance and then Force us to divert our eyes to the translated text? Someone earlier suggested if not for Shatner's delivery TOS episodes could be 35 minutes long. Well halting Klingon spoken with a mouth full of prosthetics is worse.

I'll still watch, of course, but hoping we'll see less of them.

#77 ·
Subtitles are difficult to read for people with visual impairment. It would be nice if they set it up with alternate audio for English/Klingon and optional closed captions. The current setup is obviously intended for ultra hardcore Trekkies that can understand Klingon and those with good eyesight.

hoping we'll see less of them.
Not likely, unfortunately. From what I've seen, at least this season is all about war with the Klingon empire. They'll be back in force.

#78 ·
really hate the new Klingons. No reason to change them. They are basically Orcs in space. Not only that but they changed a great bit of Klingon lore. As established in ST-TNG, Klingons care not for dead Klingon bodies. But Discovery changes all that.
paraphrasing, the body is nothing but an empty shell, please treat it as such.

I would be ok with it if they had instead made up a whole new race instead of reinventing what is already there. There is that but then again, they did do a big revamp of Klingons from what they were in ST-TOS, TNG really made a huge change (for the better IMO)

And what is with the big dog from Ghostbusters running around on the 2 ships?

#80 ·
Can someone please explain to me why the producers of Star Trek Discovery are now endorsing the use of the word "f**k" in their episodes.
I've heard various explanations including "the world we live in is different from one or even two generations ago". That's it?
As far as I'm concerned, the reason they are doing this is for the same reason some comedians use it profusely in their act - they have no talent.
I find the whole show stilted and unimaginative and cryptic. The acting sucks and the episodes have no flow.
My kids wanted to watch this show but now they can't.
I am really, really disappointed in CBS.
This isn't a question of "keeping up with the times". It's just another case of the disintegration of society and its morals.
Very very shabby and shameful.
The show has lost a viewer.
Want more proof? I had to edit my post because the first time I used the word "****" it was censored - like it is now. So I had to change it to "f**k".

#81 ·
So your kids will not be permitted to watch the show because of some swearing. You have watched it to know about the swearing or is this hearsay?
I am not questioning your decision, your kids, your choice, just interested that's all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#84 · (Edited)
Not a fan of the F bomb. I think is generally overused. However this may sound contradictory they way it was used in ST: D, it didn't offend or shock. It was dropped and the initial user showed a natural sheepishness about using it and they went on. The dialog in the context of the scene seemed natural. Using hell, frak or something I think would else would have seemed unnatural. If they start using it on a regular basis then yeah I will have an issue.

I am sure there was a bit of hey we are not on broadcast TV so we can push the limits, hopefully it is not used as a crutch but as a one off I am not overly concerned.

#86 ·
pretty disappointed with ST Discovery. It does not seem like Star Trek. They changed the Klingons into Orcs in space that speak a Native American language. Close your eyes and you think you are watching "Dances with Wolves".

Did not notice them dropping the F-bomb but i kind of zoned out of the last episode pretty much. Not sure if the F-bomb belongs in the ST universe. But in general i do hate censorship or editing for content. Put up a viewer warning at the start and do not complain if it is adult content. You were warned.

I find it disturbing that someone finds it ok to let the little kids watch a movie (on TV edited for content) like Saving Private Ryan. Over dub all the swear words but leave all the gore and bloody detail intact. The beach landing. give us a F-ing chance dubbed to Fighting Chance. Blood, guts, dismemberment and death is ok so long as they dont say the F-word.

#87 ·
Maybe we should shorten the name to STD. That would explain a lot. I really enjoyed the first two episodes. It's gone downhill since. Then I found out the the series creator wrote the first two episodes and then left or was replaced. That's when ST: Discovery became STD.

#88 ·
NY Times from today: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/...cbs-all-access.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The most direct antecedent for “Discovery” might not be any “Trek” series but the 2004–09 reboot of “Battlestar Galactica.” That series was also a bleaker riff on a previous series, turning the struggle of humanity against the Cylons — a society of robots that mankind created — into one of the best fictional treatments of the war on terror. Ingeniously, it rethought the Cylons as monotheistic zealots, murderous but with a culture and ideals that could not be easily dismissed.
A fair comparison but I disagree with the assessment of Battlestar Galactica. That show let the critical hype go to its head, rendering large parts of the final two seasons a wearying slog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.