Star Trek: Discovery discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
I see 3 things 'possibly' happening in Canada in regards to this series:

1)Rogers/Shaw will pick it up, but it will only be available on Showmi. The first episode will be on City, the following Episodes will be on Showmi

2) BCE Media will pick it up and do the same except the first Episode will be on CTV, the rest will be on Crave TV(as by that time Crave TV will be available to everyone)

3)Netflex Canada will pick up the series and will show it on their streaming service.

This way your "Forced" to pay extra to see the series.In any case I see it landing on some streaming service in Canada. The only thing is I'm not sure if you can access this CBS streaming service in Canada or not?
What leads you to think that it would only be streamed in Canada?

We are seeing other streamed series in the US showing up on terrestrial channels here, and cable channels. Why do you think a streaming service is going to outbid a terrestrial channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 03:19 PM
Veteran

Question

No, what I'm saying at some point Canada is going to follow the US streaming services at some point where content will only be available on streaming service(as to when I can't say exactly). remember you have to pay to receive Shomi,Crave TV or Netflex. In the case of Bell or Shaw/Rogers that's extra revenue if they only have it on their streaming service. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, only a possibility. The thing is if as an example Bell or Shaw/Rogers wins the bid, since they both have streaming services they win, because you'll need to pay extra to see it if its on Shomi or Crave TV with having TV service.

Why do think CBS is doing it? If they put it on their regular CBS network those with OTA will get for free,if you put it on a streaming service you'll need to pay for it regardless if you have only OTA,IPTV,Cable or Sat, you'll need to pay CBS'S streaming service to watch, hence extra revenue for CBS or perhaps in this case Bell/Shaw//Rogers or Netflix or some other provider?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #33 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 07:35 PM
Veteran

CBS is using it to try and build their streaming service, knowing that they can later recoup a lot of costs through direct sales.

However, as CBS would still control direct sales in the Canadian market, they'd be looking at maximizing revenue from Canada, and I very much doubt that any of the current streaming services, would be making the highest bid - other than perhaps as part of a bid like Rogers airing it initially on their Shomi service and a few weeks later on their City or Omni services.

post #34 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 07:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
@NeilN

NO? But the can guess? Did they know what the future held in 1967-9 in the original series? They can guess or make up things like they did in STNG?
Guessing is why they've limited it to two hundred years out (as they did in the original series). You can extrapolate current trends into something relatable if you limit your timeframe. Three or four thousand years out is a meaningless number.
post #35 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 09:18 AM

Considering they currently has the CBS deal for the whole Star Trek collection, it wouldn't be surprising to see the new show turn up on a Bell Media property, be it Crave and/or Space and/or CTV.
post #36 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 11:23 AM
Zod

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on Space. I also wouldn't be surprised if it also ended up on the streaming service of whichever company (sorry I can't remember) that owns Space.

It might be CBS's decision to stream only in the US, but outside of the US they'll be trying to maximize profits which would probably be maximized by selling TV and Streaming rights.
post #37 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well, no. Profits would be maximized by going direct to the consumer. Middle men will always require a cut in order to survive.

The difference between the future and the past is that content owners/creators can get to their viewers without the need of some proprietary TV network.

So, whether they (content creators) charge a subscription fee or show advertising, have iTunes style "buy the episode/season" system, or some combination of the above, the path to maximum profit is to remove middle men.
post #38 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 02:44 PM

I'm hoping for a Captain Pike series. There are about 11 years or so between Captain Pike and Captain Kirk that have mostly gone unexplored. The original pilot "The Cage" could be redone to start the series or they could just pick up right where it left off with a wink to it.

The advantage is that the series could return to the original Enterprise and include Spock (perhaps Zachary Quinto would play him or it could simply be recast). The whole alternate timeline situation would be avoided as that timeline did not branch off until Kirk in the new movies. A strong female character could also be included as Captain Pike had a female first officer in The Cage (who was played by Mrs. Roddenberry).

They could use the style of the new movies that way or the original set of series or a mix of both.

Just my thoughts. I would also be happy to see something after Voyager, and Star Trek Online had some interesting ideas for that.
post #39 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-13, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Quinto is awful as Spock, though.

Anyone here check out Star Trek Continues? I heard it's quite good.
post #40 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-16, 11:35 AM
Rookie

A series starting right after voyager would be ideal. There is still so much to explore in that time line, not sure why they would abandon it.

The problem with a series based in 3000 years is that they were already extremely technologically advanced in the 2300s, and making them even more advanced would just ruin too many story opportunities. I liked TNG better than Voyager because in Voyager too often they would just solve their problems by firing an inverted tachyon pulse or something.
post #41 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-16, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri
There is still so much to explore in that time line, not sure why they would abandon it.
There was definitely a "changing of the guard" when Rick Berman left (or was fired?), and I think the new guys just don't want to be slaves to too much "established canon". If we measure success by audience response, I think it's fair to say that rebooting the series with a new timeline has been successful. I'm not implying that they couldn't have been successful in the old, existing timeline, but I think doing the reboot allowed them to:

- Use the iconic characters of Kirk/Spock/McCoy
- Give a nod to the original timeline events without being bound to them (e.g. Star Trek Into Darkness)
- Be in the Kirk time period without the audience knowing what the future brings

I think the future being known to the audience hurts storytelling, it makes it less exciting. So, the real choices were to continue the story in a post-TNG time frame (and lose access to iconic characters) or to do something along the lines of what they did.

@wprager - I quite like Quinto as Spock. I think that was a fantastic casting decision, but I guess not everyone agrees.
post #42 of 128 (permalink) Old 2016-07-18, 09:44 AM

New CBS STAR TREK Television Series to Live Long and Prosper in Canada with Bell Media
Quote:
CBS Studios International and Bell Media today announced a licensing agreement for the new STAR TREK television series in Canada. With Bell Media’s acquisition of the exclusive linear television and subscription video on demand (SVOD) rights in English and French in Canada, each episode of the new STAR TREK series will be available simultaneously with its release in the U.S.
The rollout for the new STAR TREK series in Canada will mirror the launch in the U.S. The first episode will premiere on CTV on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media’s cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service.

Bell Media has also licensed all 727 existing episodes of the STAR TREK television library, which will return to Space (in English) and debut on Cinépop (in French), and will also be found among CraveTV’s leading lineup of premium television series.
nfitz likes this.
post #43 of 128 (permalink) Old 2016-07-18, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Netflix will be the exclusive premiere home of “Star Trek” in 188 countries (excluding the US and Canada). Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.
Source: https://media.netflix.com/en/press-r...ound-the-world
post #44 of 128 (permalink) Old 2016-07-18, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Is anyone else disappointed that they'll need to watch Star Trek using old fashioned technology (i.e. broadcast TV) instead of the futuristic Netflix?

I mean, sure, I do have a HTPC which I can use to record the episodes, but it just seems like a lot of hassle. And commercials.
post #45 of 128 (permalink) Old 2016-07-18, 07:35 PM
tux

Netflix futuristic? Wake me up when I can watch Star Trek from my holodeck.
DSgamby and CamDAB like this.

Tags
bell media , cravetv , space channel , star trek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in