Star Trek: Discovery discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-04, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfitz
What's the basis for that observation? The stuff I've seen haven't indicated one way or another.
You know, now that I go searching for the article that implied that, I can't seem to find it again.

CBS doesn't seem to have published an official position on that; but we do know that Alex Kurtzman is responsible for the new series and he co-wrote and produced the bits of Star Trek (2009, 2013 movies) which created the new time line. If he felt the need to shed the burden of all the old school "canon" material to start fresh for the movies, I doubt he would want to re-attach himself to it for the new TV series.

So, I can see why people would have drawn that conclusion.

That said, you're right - which time line this new story will be set has not been officially communicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-04, 08:34 PM

Wouldn't it be something if the new show was not available in Canada AT ALL (legally). What if CBS fears that people might bypass geoblocking on a Canadian provider to watch it instead of subscribing to their service.

I am not saying it is likely, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.
post #18 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-04, 09:04 PM
Premium Supporter

This THR article indicates CBS is using this new Star Trek series to drive subscribers to the CBS digital VOD subscription platform, CBS All Access.

[CBS Corp. president and CEO] Leslie Moonves Explains Why 'Star Trek' Went to CBS All Access

He also claims that the show is already half financed just from international distribution sales.

That would suggest it will likely be available in Canada ("legally").

post #19 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-04, 10:47 PM
Veteran

Why does it need to be a "Reboot"? Why not make the series take place in the year 3000 or 4000 instead of always being with in 100 years, why not 2,000 years or 3,000 years in the future ahead?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #20 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 09:10 AM

I had thought that the next ST project was called REBELLION bringing back characters such as Tuvok but having read about the new ST reboot-series doesn't appeal to me at all.

History shows that beyond Voyager, these newer series (such as Enterprise) with extremely busy screens and soapy characters just don't cut it.

I was and still am an extreme Star Trek fan of the 80s and 90s flavor who was never able to watch an entire movie beyond Nemesis.

Anyhow, that CBS online-exclusive series will certainly have a budget set accordingly and will be, by the time it airs, available EVERYWHERE for the picking! I'll certainly take a look at it.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #21 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I guess this shows that there are all sorts of people out there. Personally, I felt that Nemesis was a low point for Star Trek and while I hated the excessive lens flare, I quite liked the two recent movies.

On the topic of distribution, I think it would make sense for CBS to expand All Access internationally. They own the content, so it makes perfect sense for them to go direct to the consumer. I firmly believe that the future will minimize the number of middle men between the content owner and the consumer, we're just not there yet.
post #22 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-06, 11:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
The producers/show-runners were involved in the reboot franchise, and I'd read somewhere that the TV series will follow the alternate timeline established in the first reboot film.
I wouldn't be surprised if it does. But where did you read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
I have a feeling that the new reboot will air on Space and CraveTV.
Bumped into someone from Space yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if it does land there (though if I was CTV, I'd be tempted to put it on CTV or CTV2) but for now they are reading about this in the news, like the rest of us. Too soon to tell.
post #23 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-07, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
Why does it need to be a "Reboot"? Why not make the series take place in the year 3000 or 4000 instead of always being with in 100 years, why not 2,000 years or 3,000 years in the future ahead?
Because the EP and the studio have no creative vision whatsoever. It's the same reason that Stargate is being rebooted as a movie trilogy.

There hasn't been any confirmation yet on whether the new series will be in the original timeline or the rebooted one. People are just assuming it'll be the rebooted one, because the executive producer (Kurtzman) was a co-writer of the 2009 and 2013 Trek movies. In the meantime, Moonves has said that additional announcements about Star Trek — both behind and in front of the camera — would be coming soon.

While I'm happy Star Trek is finally returning to television, it certainly took CBS long enough to do it. By the way, it looks like Spiner was right when he said a while back that an agreement was put into place to prevent a TV series from occurring until after the trilogy of reboot movies. Best case scenario is they return to the original universe timeline and compose a good original opening theme song worthy of a Trek series (it's still sad that both Jerry and Joel Goldsmith are dead now -- at least they knew how to create good theme songs). Worst case scenario is that it's part of the rebooted timeline with the massive lens flares, super-fast-camera-movements, sex-infused, explosions-every-minute style that has been part of the Abrams movie franchise. Oh, and a 5-second opening intro just showing the title name of the show, instead of an actual theme song.

Say what you will about the problems that Nemesis and Enterprise had, but at least when Berman and Braga were running the series, they knew what they were doing as far as the camera movements and storylines were concerned. There was a certain... production consistency... for lack of a better phrase, between TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, that's clearly absent from the 2009 and 2013 films, and that's what I miss from the previous series. If the new series is just going to be the continuing 5-year adventures of the rebooted Kirk and co. timeline that started in the movies, except now on an episodic basis, then a lot of people (including myself) will be irrevocably ticked off.

And as far as airing the new series in Canada, if you remember, back in the day, Enterprise used to air first on City, and then the episode subsequently repeated on Sunday night on Space. So I'm sure one of those two networks would pick this one up.
post #24 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-07, 03:58 PM
Veteran

Talking

The only thing I can say about this is:

And this what I truly think of Star Trek

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #25 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-07, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialgaChampion View Post
And as far as airing the new series in Canada, if you remember, back in the day, Enterprise used to air first on City, and then the episode subsequently repeated on Sunday night on Space. So I'm sure one of those two networks would pick this one up.
Back then, City and Space had the same owners (and same offices). Now City is owned by Rogers and Space is owned by CTV.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see either pick it up for either cable or terrestrial broadcast.
post #26 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 09:17 AM
Veteran

Question

I see 3 things 'possibly' happening in Canada in regards to this series:

1)Rogers/Shaw will pick it up, but it will only be available on Showmi. The first episode will be on City, the following Episodes will be on Showmi

2) BCE Media will pick it up and do the same except the first Episode will be on CTV, the rest will be on Crave TV(as by that time Crave TV will be available to everyone)

3)Netflex Canada will pick up the series and will show it on their streaming service.

This way your "Forced" to pay extra to see the series.In any case I see it landing on some streaming service in Canada. The only thing is I'm not sure if you can access this CBS streaming service in Canada or not?

post #27 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 12:00 PM

TechTV now reports that the next Star Trek is due to debute in January 2017 simultaneously on CBS network TV as well as online (through All-Access)

So at least we get to watch (some of) it on TV on its first run. No online-exclusive scare!

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #28 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 01:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
Compare 20th century BC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century_BC to today. Do you have any idea what's it going to be like in 40th century AD, especially with the rapid growth in knowledge we are experiencing? Doubt it.
post #29 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 02:24 PM
Veteran

Question

@NeilN

NO? But the can guess? Did they know what the future held in 1967-9 in the original series? They can guess or make up things like they did in STNG?

post #30 of 128 (permalink) Old 2015-11-08, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koenig View Post
TechTV now reports that the next Star Trek is due to debute in January 2017 simultaneously on CBS network TV as well as online (through All-Access)

So at least we get to watch (some of) it on TV on its first run. No online-exclusive scare!
The original press release had said the premiere episode would air on CBS TV. All other episodes will be online-only in the US. I don't think anything has changed there.

Tags
bell media , cravetv , space channel , star trek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in