Help! Need TV guide!! - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-06, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

JamesK does your URL say "gracenote"? We are getting the NEW Zap2It it looks like the old one is really gone now. :-( I was using a site that had the old one and there are some other links in this thread I will try but I am afraid that they are all gone. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-06, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

p.s. I just tried ALL the links in this thread, like in Post 51 Dr. Dave had a bunch and then there were some others. Some go to gracenote and some go to zap2it but they all have the new format. :-( So now I will go in to it and try to make it the way I want as best I can.
post #93 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-06, 12:44 PM

There are a bunch of other TV guides discussed at the beginning of this thread and a few more in post 76. These might be alternatives for anyone that really hates the new Zap2it. There may be a few others sprinkled throughout the thread.

I haven't found anything that provides the same functionality as the classic Zap2it.

post #94 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-06, 11:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
JamesK does your URL say "gracenote"?
Yep. Why do they think it's OK to remove the ability to create a custom grid, when Rogers has almost 1000 channels? Do they honestly expect anyone to sift through that huge pile, looking for the couple of dozen channels they're interested in? The new format is 100% useless!

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #95 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-07, 12:27 AM

@JamesK click on the star beside the channels you want in your custom grid, then click on "Starred" in the title line. Unfortunately, you can't change the order.
post #96 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-07, 07:29 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Tnx, I'll look into that. Still, why do they consider this an improvement?

post #97 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-07, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

JamesK yes its frustrating that we can't put chans in the order we want. Shaw Direct has some groups that make sense like a bunch of OTA chans but then the HD OTAs are seperate and there are cable chans mixed in between them too. I used to have all the OTA chans together and then the TMN/HBO chans and then things like FX and Space. All very neat. Now I can't do that.
post #98 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-07, 03:27 PM

My old Zap2it was like Bayguy's except with Movie Channels listed first. Alas unless they add this functionality back I will have to live with the interface as is.

RIP Classic Zap2it

LONSat
post #99 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-08, 12:55 PM

The new Zap2it suck big time, it's super slow compare to the old one, and they remove 4-5 features I was using regularly. I guest the only thing we can do is to complain on there Twitter account and maybe they'll rethink or at least add the old feature to the new one...
post #100 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-10, 07:51 AM
Veteran

The more I use it, the more I realize how useless the new guide is. Not only can't I arrange the channels, there's no brief description of the shows. In addition, I can't click on a channel and scroll through the next 2 weeks. I can't open a channel or show in another tab, I don't see a first broadcast date. It sure doesn't provide much, compared to the old guide.

post #101 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-10, 11:35 AM

@JamesK @winterwolf There are 2 sources of help on Zap2it. The ? at the top beside "print" will run through a tutorial and the "Contact Us" has answers to specific questions.

Quote:
A single station view is in the works.

Stay tuned…
Unfortunately, it said that all year, so if it's in the works, they aren't working very hard. It can't be that hard to implement. I'm going to look around for a guide that has that feature when I have some time.

Quote:
Episode titles and episode descriptions can be found by clicking on the show title. An expanded grid cell will appear with more information about the episode airing.

You can also find episode titles and episode descriptions on the Episode Guide found on the show card.
An example for this Sunday shows the episode description.
Quote:
Criminal Minds
Bad moon on the Rise
SEASON 13, EPISODE 12
8:00 PM ON CKYDT 210 • 14+ • STEREO • CC • DVS
The BAU is called to New York when several casualties of a brutal nature are reported in Central Park.
You can click on the show title to see the show card which includes the original air date for reruns. You can right-click in most Windows browsers to open the link in a new tab just like the old Zap2it. Obviously, you can't open a channel in a new tab since there isn't a single channel view. (yet)

I find the speed fast on my 5 year old average Windows PC running Chrome. It's slow on my Android tablet with "all channels," but it's fast when I change it to "starred."

As a tip, to compensate for not being able to rearrange the order of the channels, I've only included the channels I really care about in my starred view. If I want to check a channel that I don't watch often, I just click on all channels. I doubt they will reintroduce that feature into the new system.

Keep in mind that the real business of Nielsen/ Gracenote/Tribune is to compile and sell TV Guide data to TV providers like DIRECTV. The Zap2it site just allows us free access to that same data. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a major redesign of their entire system which was probably based on some very old and creaky code. Zap2it is just a tiny portion of that. Obviously, when they rewrote the Zap2it front-end they wanted to use modern user interface design and make it more touch-friendly.

Like I said before, I prefer the old text-based interface - I prefer efficiency over flash and sizzle. At the same time, I can understand that they can't continue to run that old kludgy duplicate system forever.
bobmac likes this.
post #102 of 168 (permalink) Old 2018-11-10, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

I think the "flash and sizzle" is b'cuz ppl who use cellphones want big text and pretty pictures, or at least the ppl who make websites think they do. So now everybody has to get the fancy one instead of like you said just simple text that's easy to find info.
post #103 of 168 (permalink) Old 2019-03-24, 08:51 PM

I noticed that www.ontvtonight.com now allows users to customize their channel list and reorder the channels as well as select which channels are shown. You have to register for a free account to customize your channels list. They also show a 6 hour grid.

I know some people were disappointed when Zap2it dropped those features. I can't comment on how well ontvtonight works overall since I still use Zap2it as my primary guide.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2019-03-24 at 11:27 PM.
post #104 of 168 (permalink) Old 2019-03-27, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

BTW, Zap2it still hasn't added where you click on a channel and see all the listings for that channel.

Also when you ask for a list of upcoming eps it says when they start but not when they end! I'm sure old Zap2it used to do that. Not everything is one hour long!
post #105 of 168 (permalink) Old 2019-03-27, 07:45 AM
Veteran

^^^^
I also used to open some channels in a new tab, where I'd scan through the week. This was useful for channels where shows I was interested in could be at any time of the day or night. The new guide is much less functional than the old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in