Help! Need TV guide!! - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-09-05, 11:45 AM

Here are some more TV guides:

Press release received today:

New Entertainment Website Launches TV's Quickest Searchable Airings Platform With Over 5 Million Weekly TV Show, Movie, Celebrity And Sports Airings

Quote:
whensiton.com announced today the launch of its all-new website that provides the quickest and easiest TV listings search tool for TV viewers of all ages in the U.S. and Canada. With a sleek, uncluttered design, and a database of over 5 million airings every week, wio makes it easy for anyone to find the programs they love, and when and where they can watch them.
I took a quick look and I couldn't find a traditional grid, so it may not suit a lot of people.

----

www.ontvtonight.ca/guide/

I've been looking at this one off and on since the beginning of the year. It had a lot of problems with extra channels in the provider's lineup and duplicate channel numbers., but that seems to have been fixed.

----

Posted in another thread: www.tvtv.ca/

----

I still haven't found anything I like better than the "Classic" Zap2it.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-09-06 at 10:10 PM. Reason: updated comments for ontvtonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-09-06, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Dr. Dave for keeping us up on these.

Like you say Whensiton is different, could be okay for finding one show but you can't browse.

I tried OnTV but it only lets me pick satellite TV for the time zone I tell them. That doesn't work for us b'cuz we're in Pacific but our TV is Eastern. The same with TVTV. Lets hope for Zap2it to keep going!!
post #78 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-09-06, 01:45 PM

@Bayguy OnTV lets you set your time zone, so if you're interested you could try picking a Toronto postal code to get the eastern feed and setting your time zone to Pacific. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it will work, but you might want to take a look at the regular channel list before you spend much time on it, because it's a dog's breakfast. I think you have to expect to really customize the channel list to be able to use that site on a regular basis.

post #79 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-09-06, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dr Dave, when I put a BC postal code I can only pick Shaw Pacific and when I put an Ontario code I can only pick Shaw East. I tried Customize Guide and I think it lets you do other things but you have to make an account.

It has all the Shaw channels in order but like you say we'd probably want to change that. Maybe you can do that if you get an account? We have a Zap account and we have just the channels we want and also in the order we want. Like we have the networks East first and BC last b'cuz shows come on the East first. :-) Thats backwards from Shaw's numbers but easier for us. then we moved the sports and movies after the networks. And some channels we don't show at all. Stuff like that, I wonder if ONTV can do.
post #80 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-09-06, 10:18 PM

I revised my comments about ontvtonight. There were ongoing problems for months with duplicate channels and I just realized they fixed them since last time I checked.

@Bayguy I set up an account a while back and customized the channel list to just include the channels I watch regularly, The channels appear in numerical order and there is no way to change that, the way that Zap2it "classic" does.
post #81 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-09-08, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Okay well if Zap2it goes away at least we can get pretty good listings even if the chans are not in our order. Tnx for the info.
post #82 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-03, 04:55 PM

I just thought I'd let everyone know I've given up on Zap2it Classic as my primary TV guide. I'll use the new Zap2it for now and use Classic for functions that New Zap2it doesn't have.

There have been a few instances where Classic was slow getting updates, but the clincher was last month when CTV updated their schedules for Nov. 4 and 6. The new Zap2it had the changes, but Classic still doesn't, so it's just not reliable enough for me to use in posting programming updates.

EDIT: It's not just the Canadian channels. Yesterday, NBC announced they would air a 3-hour election special on Nov. 6 and move The Voice to Nov. 8. New Zap2it has the changes, Classic doesn't.
post #83 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Wow that's strange I thought Classic and New just looked diff. but had the same info. Well I hope New works okay for you. Thank you for all your updates!

BTW Zap2It Classic says the Voice is on Nov. 6 but it's a "recap" show. NBC website says the same so I think Zap2It Classic is caught up now.

https://www.nbc.com/schedule
post #84 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 12:34 PM

@Bayguy I think you're mistaken about NBC. The NBC link you posted says the following:

Tuesday, Nov. 6 - primetime will consist of 3 hours of The Vote: America's Future

Thursday, Nov. 8
Superstore
The Good Place
The Voice ALL NEW "The best moments of the season chronicle the journey of the top 24."
I Feel Bad
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

New Zap2it says the same thing

Classic says:
Tuesday, Nov. 6
The Voice recap followed by TWO hours of The Vote: America's Future

Thursday, Nov. 8
Superstore
The Good Place
Will & Grace
I Feel Bad

My local NBC affiliate is KARE in Minneapolis for both versions of Zap2it. (I don't know if other affiliates are different.)

I think the new Zap2it is a total rewrite, not just a different User Interface. They are maintaining 2 different databases.
post #85 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 03:08 PM

I love Zap2it also @Dr.Dave , but I agree that the classic changed. I think it happened after it rebranded itself to Screener a couple of years ago and then went back to Zap2it. It's still the best for what it is though, in my opinion. I use that, plus two other sites that aren't guides as much as listings of upcoming (over the next few months) shows on Canadian, Brit and Aussie TV. I also use another for U.S. TV, but that's relatively easy to find in general.
post #86 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Dr. Dave that is very strange the link I gave says this for me on Nov 6:

7:00pm
The Vote: America's Future
Coverage of the 2018 midterm elections.

8:00pm
The Voice
All New
The best moments of the season chronicle the journey of the top 24.

9:00pm
The Vote: America's Future
Coverage of the 2018 midterm elections.

11:00pm
NBC Bay Area News at 11

Local news, sports and weather.

And then this for Nov. 8:

8:00pm
Superstore
All New
Amy learns she has no maternity leave and must return to work two days after giving birth.

8:30pm
The Good Place
All New
Michael helps Eleanor recall forgotten events from her past with Chidi.

9:00pm
The Voice
All New
The best moments of the season chronicle the journey of the top 24.

9:30pm
I Feel Bad
All New
When Emet is torn between her work and her kids, she wants to have it all -- by any means necessary.

10:00pm
All New
When a waitress is sexually assaulted, SVU looks at the celebrity chef who employs her.

I know we are getting away from Zap2It but some ppl may look at NBC's website for listings too and so its too bad they might be wrong.
post #87 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

p.s. I looked at a Detroit station on Zap2it classic and it said this:

5:00 PM The Voice "Road to Live Shows"
NEW HD TV-PG (L)

6:00 PM The Vote: America's Future
LIVE HD

8:00 PM Local 4 News at 11

(You need to add three hrs. because I have Zap2it set to PT.)

Just for kicks I looked at THE SAME STATION (Detroit) on Shaw Direct and it shows THE VOTE at 8:00 all the way to 11:00. So it looks like even NBC doesn't know if its showing the Voice or not! Anyway what you are doing with looking at more than one listing is a good idea!
post #88 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 05:19 PM

According to your post The Voice is on both Tuesday and Thursday on the NBC site. My guess is you are seeing a old copy of the Tuesday, Nov. 6 page from your browser's cache. If you use Windows, press CRTL-F5 to refresh the page for most browsers.

The new Zap2it should show you the correct info.

Here is the NBC announcement of the schedule change:

Breaking News - NBC Expands Election Coverage on Tuesday; Bumps "The Voice" Recap to Thursday | TheFutonCritic.com
post #89 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-04, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi, Dr. Dave I never visited the NBC site schedule until today so it isn't the browser. But I just did Cmd-R and got the same thing. Maybe either our NBC is doing that or they told the NBC website the wrong thing.
post #90 of 109 (permalink) Old 2018-11-06, 06:40 AM
Veteran

I see Zap2it changed to some new format that shows all the channels, instead of just the ones I had selected. Why the hell can't they leave things well enough alone? They've been beaten back a couple of times already, when they tried to force this nonsense on us. Why do they refuse to learn???

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in