X Company (CBC) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-23, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

X Company (CBC)

I enjoyed the first episode of X Company last Wednesday on CBC. It is loosely based on Camp X, an Allied training centre situated on the edge of Lake Ontario. It was created for agents and saboteurs, during WW2. They are re-running the pilot episode on Wed. at 8 p.m. to be followed by a new episode at 9 p.m.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-24, 07:32 AM
Veteran

^^^^
In the ads for the show, the Morse code below "X Company" spells out "camp x".

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-26, 01:01 PM

I liked the pilot quite a bit. I felt it was well-written and well crafted and a bit smarter than your usual super-team based shows.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-27, 02:39 PM

I watched the second episode last night. The characters aren't cold blooded killers and seem to struggle with having to kill people. I was getting a bit frustrated with the moral dilemmas they seem to have every 5min during the missions. Hopefully they toughen up as the series goes along
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 12:29 PM

Just watched the 2nd episode, missed the 1st . I liked it and will keep watching. I found it pretty good. I like WWII shows, so will prob get attached to the series and will record every episode.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

So far, I'm still enjoying this show. However, there are a few things that seem to be a little off. I don't think a small portable shortwave radio would have the range to send signals from France directly to Camp X located in Ontario. I'm pretty sure that they would have to relay the messages to England first and then be re-transmitted to Canada. Secondly, the team arrives back at Camp X wearing exactly the same clothes they wore in the previous scene that they wore in France. Thirdly, they often use modern jargon that wasn't around in the 1940's e.g."skill-set." etc.
In just about every German newsreel I've viewed on youtube, the Waffen SS wear full camouflage battledress or just a camo helmet cover and a camo smock over their uniforms. The smocks were reversible and had a different coloured pattern for each season of the year. The only time I've seen them in dress uniforms is in WW2 documentaries showing them goose-stepping in front of a review stand full of NAZI officials.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Just watched the 2nd episode, missed the 1st .
You can find the 1st here.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 03:49 PM
Veteran

From what I understand, CBC isn't into the CD / DVD / Blu-ray business anymore.

In light of this, series such as X Company I would really like to get, when the seasons up. Prefer disk media, and not interested in web or VOD streaming.

Anyone know if current or past CBC material has been picked up by other distributors?

I missed the first episode and am one of those who like to get things from the beginning... :-)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-02-28, 04:03 PM
Veteran

If they think there is a market for it, they will probably release a Blu-Ray or DVD set. It is produced by Temple Street (who does Orphan Black, which has been released on Blu-Ray), and is distributed by Sony Pictures.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-03-01, 08:31 AM
Veteran

^^^^ Thanks for the info! I'll store this for later use. :-)

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-03-05, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

At the end of last night's episode they ran an address for more info on the series. So, this morning I went to www.cbc.ca/xcosecrets and I found it quite interesting. It showed some of the vehicles the Nazi's used. Unfortunately, they didn't mention the streamlined, rear engine V8 Czech Tatra that was shown in an earlier episode. They did however, show the Type B Mk.2 suitcase radio that had a range of just over 500 miles. They also featured the Pill Kit that contained the suicide cyanide pill. It was encased in rubber and agents could safely swallow it and it would pass right through their systems without causing any problem. However, if they bit through the rubber coating, they would die within a few minutes.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

I was worried that this series was going to go downhill after last week's episode
but I found last night's show to be one of the best, so far. Does anybody know if any of the scenes were shot in France or were they all filmed in Canada?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 11:35 AM

X COMPANY is a Canadian-Hungarian co-production, produced by Temple Street Productions and co-produced by Pioneer Stillking Films. Season 1 was shot on location in Budapest, Hungary from August to October, 2014.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/produc...-star-cas.html
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 2015-03-19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I kept thinking that a lot of the scenes had a real European look to them and now I know why. Thanks for the info.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

On the latest X Company "Nil Nocere" they featured a story about a French doctor who turned out to be a serial killer. This was based on fact. Dr.Marcel Petiot was found guilty of murdering 63 people;mostly French Jews. He said that he belonged to a network that could smuggle them out of France for a price. He told them that the countries that he was sending them to required that they get "inoculated." He injected them with cyanide and then burned their bodies in his basement furnace. He was guillotined after the War in 1946.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in