Extant - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-17, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Extant

So far, I'm really enjoying this show. It combines good Sci-Fi with mystery and suspense e.g. How did Molly (Halle Berry) become pregnant when she was alone on the Space Station for thirteen months? In today's episode, Molly made scrambled eggs for breakfast and I can't figure out why the three brown eggs stood erect, on the counter, when she took them out of the carton? I re-ran the PVR twice and I'm puzzled why the raw eggs didn't topple over on their sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-17, 11:16 AM
Veteran

I've not started watching this yet but do have it on series record, it does look an interesting story but I cannot stand Halle Berry, she is a very limited actress.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-17, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I can't figure out why the three brown eggs stood erect, on the counter, when she took them out of the carton? I re-ran the PVR twice and I'm puzzled why the raw eggs didn't topple over on their sides.
My guess is they weren't real eggs. I caught a glimpse of them while she was putting them on the counter and they looked slightly flattened on the bottom. I already erased the show, so I can't double-check.

BTW, I saw Camryn Manheim (the doctor) talking about the show and she said she signed a six-year contract, so they plan to renew the show if the ratings hold up.

Last night's ratings were 1.5 (18-49) and 7.87 million total viewers. The 18-49 rating only dropped a tenth from the premiere, which is pretty good retention.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-17, 04:18 PM

I've been watching the show and enjoying it immensely. I assumed that the eggs are the eggs of the future, from genetically modified chickens. After selective breeding, the chickens of our future will lay eggs of such a shape that we can stand them up on our counters.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-17, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

That's the only rational explanation that I could come up with unless they goofed-up by using dummy eggs that weren't intended to be taken out of the carton and were just for display. Maybe one day we might see this on Youtube in one of their movie/TV blooper segments.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 12:27 AM

It was too deliberate to be a blooper.

Does Hiroyuki Sanada's role mean that Helix has been cancelled?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 01:10 AM
Veteran

Watched the first episode, the story is interesting enough to get me past Halle Berry's terrible acting.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 06:37 AM

Nice collection of electric cars mid-way through the last episode; Tesla Model S, BMW i3 and a Prius. I assumed the eggs were 'VGM' or very genetically modified....
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 03:46 PM
Veteran

Meh

I have to disagree with those who liked the first episode of Extant. As I watched it I kept thinking that it is likely to be this year's Siberia.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 04:07 PM

They never officially cancelled Siberia
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-18, 04:14 PM
Veteran

No they didn't cancel Siberia so I guess that leaves the door open to pick it up again at some time un the future (Don't hold your breath). I called Extant the next Siberia because like Siberia it is a train wreck of a show. Bad acting. Sets and special effects that seem stolen from Gravity and another summer sci-fi series whose name I can't remember. And a plot/premise that has been done before. Unless they can come up with something original I can't see it getting a second season. It might not even get through the first although it is summer when expectations are lower.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-19, 11:48 AM

The Extant premiere at 9 million viewers is much more popular than the Siberia premiere was at 3 million.

Halle Berry is quite popular with the general public and is capable of Oscar-worthy performance like Monster's Ball, but a lot of her work is pretty ordinary. I'm sure her personal popularity adds to Extant's ratings and will keep it going to the end of the season at the very least.

Ratings:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...20140718cbs01/
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...20130702abc01/
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-07-24, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

For a 47 year old woman I think Halle looks pretty darn good even if the acting is not her best. Her "son" Ethan, reminds me of Summer Glau who played a Terminator in The Sarah Connor Chronicles. He has similar mannerisms, facial expressions, and speech pattern without sounding too robotic. I noticed in the credits that she is one of the co-executive producers.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-08-02, 12:00 PM

Watched the first episode and found it incredibly dull; have not watched anymore.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 2014-08-20, 06:05 PM

That's it for me watching Extant.

Watched the first episode and found it mildly interesting. Didn't watch #2 and #3 until today. #2 was still just mildly interesting. #3 suffered from lost signal due to a thunderstorm. Turned out that Global had decided to show an episode of Rookie Blue in the time slot that was supposed to be episode #4.

Decided I just don't care enough to bother trying to watch it any more and deleted both the one episode I still had on the PVR and the timer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in