Fargo - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-17, 08:04 PM

Right. If you're in BC, it looks like you're in the same boat. If Rogers does not offer cable TV in your area, then you cannot subscribe to FXX. This may change, but FXX_Canada specifically said on twitter that the channel is EXCLUSIVE to Rogers. That word usually means they're NOT seriously discussing adding the channel to any other providers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-18, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
As per FXX_Canada's twitter people, FXX is EXCLUSIVE to Rogers, starting April 1st.

So to be clear: All of the Albertans that helped make Fargo happen will NOT be able to watch Fargo. Hooray.
That is a little misleading. Here is the full twitter exchange - I've bolded the important part.

Randy Perry ‏@randois · Mar 15
@FXX_Canada Will FXX be available on services other than Rogers?

FXX_Canada ‏@FXX_Canada · 16h
@randois On April 1st FXX will be exclusively available on Rogers. We will keep you posted on other service providers
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-18, 11:41 AM

I disagree, only because they used the word exclusive, which I think is more important than the follow-up, which is more of a PR-style "we're always looking at options" sort of answer.

Don't get me wrong... I want FXX on Telus, Shaw, Bell, and any other providers. There's just no reason to believe it's happening by the time Fargo airs.

post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-18, 12:23 PM

FXX might be exclusively (at the moment) on Rogers but there is still a chance that Fargo (& other series) will be both on FX canada and FXX canada . The usa FX is showing Fargo so there is still a hope (probably misplaced as i do not see Fargo advertised on the FX canada site .
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-18, 01:36 PM
Veteran

Rogers is a cable TV provider, along with internet, home & cell phone, who's primary market is in Ontario. They basically run FXX in Canada and have not allowed it to be picked up by the other service providers in the rest of Canada.
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-18, 02:55 PM

Rogers Cable doesn't compete with Shaw Cable or Telus Optik TV in western Canada. They have no reason to withhold FXX from those providers. If they did withhold the channel, they would be giving up a lot of subscription revenue as well as advertising revenue (which is based on number of viewers).

Rogers Media is probably trying to negotiate premium pricing, packaging, requiring the provider to guarantee subscription numbers and do lots of promotion, etc. The providers are trying to get the least expensive price possible along with the least restrictive terms. Otherwise they will have to increase prices even more than they do now.

Welcome to the world of cable TV contracts.
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-18, 06:46 PM
Veteran

I was excited when I first heard that a Fargo TV spinoff (ripoff?) was being developed but I guess I should have read the press release earlier. Any connection between this series and the classic movie is "environmental" only. The producers including the Cohens are just trying to cash in on the revered and familiar name. There's no real character/story connections at all.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

We're in the U.S. so we can watch Fargo on FX but gosh that's dumb if CDNs wont be able to watch it unless they live where they can get Rogers cable! I hope they change they're minds and let Shaw and Bell carry it on sattelite!
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 12:39 PM

Well the Coen brothers (get the H out) tend to be very creative and highly praised filmmakers . I for one would certainly be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and watch without prejudging (but since i'm on shaw that would appear to be a non starter .)
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-04-04, 01:50 PM

Good news for those with Fx Canada . It would appear that fargo will be shown starting April 15th (according to zap2it and my shaw guide )
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-04-04, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up

Just checked my guide on Shaw Direct.

April 15 @ 10:00 PM eastern on FX Canada.
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-04-04, 02:44 PM

Nothing official from Rogers Media yet, their Specialty Channel Highlights go from Monday, March 31 to Sunday, April 13.

This could be a one episode "teaser" - they've put 1 episode of some specialty programs on City TV in the past. On an optimistic note, I think Fargo will be on the main FX network in the U.S., so Rogers Media may carry it on both.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-04-04, 06:44 PM

I forgot about those teaser episodes but i think they usually they go from the specialty channels to a regular network (like The bridge etc) .They could be doing this to lure people into fxx but i hope not and since rogers controls FX the chances are probably greater .
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-04-04, 08:10 PM
Veteran

Ive set a timer for it, so we will see how it goes.
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 2014-04-04, 09:03 PM

Here's a behind the scenes video:

Here's the 1st 7 minutes of the series - only works if you can fake a U.S. IP address:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQiX9xHxHcg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in