Which channels have uncut movies? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-27, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Which channels have uncut movies?

Long story short, I was watching The Bourne Supremacy on Encore Avenue 2 and I couldn't believe how much stuff they were cutting. They were tiny little things but it was immediately noticeable to me. And they were not even scenes with gore, profanity or nudity.(Although I hate it when they cut that stuff out too)

I really hate any type of cut outs because I notice them right away no matter how small. Does anyone have some sort of Master List on which channels cut out things in movies? And which channels don't? I want to avoid watching movies on channels that do cut out.

I tried searching but didn't find much my search skills must be lacking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-27, 07:59 PM
Veteran

The Movie Network (and the rest of that package of channels), MovieTime, the Hollywood Suite channels, HIFI, radX, Showcase, and I'm sure I'm forgetting others...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-28, 06:30 AM
Veteran

TCM ? - Turner Classic Movies ? [ They are awsome ! ]

I watched "Close Encounters of Third Kind" (1977, Steven Speilberg) a couple of days ago, with actor Richard Dreyfuss, on TCM recently, uncut, and uniterrupted, I believe, and in full widescreen (black bars top and bottom of TV). And I did not realize, or remember, how good this movie actually WAS !

TCM has "older" movies ... but sometimes some really good movies as well - from not so far back.

But sometimes those "older movies" are indeed the "Good ones".

Anyone who would get, possibly, TCM in full HD - that would be even more awsome.

Last edited by mrvanwinkles; 2013-02-28 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Add Close Encounters and comments after.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-02-28, 11:56 AM

I was dial hopping the other day and I stopped on AUX where they were showing "Sid and Nancy". Why bother showing a movie like that if you are going to hack it up? There was one scene where Sid was shooting up drugs (one of many I would assume) and they blurred out his arm and the drugs on the table. I have never seen that before. Ridiculous in my opinion. I won't watch any movies on AUX now.

Don

Samsung 55D6300 | Samsung Blu-Ray Player | Bell Fibe TV | X Box One and 360 | Too many DVD's
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 05:58 AM

showcase does have censored movies but that might only be in the daytime
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Your best bets for uncut movies are; Movie Central, Encore Avenue 1, Warner Films, MGM Channel, Sony Movie Channel, AXN Movies. Many of the Shaw Media channels have uncut movies in primetime and late night such as Movietime, Showcase etc. Also if you have Rewind there movies are uncensored as well.

Channels to avoid are Peachtree TV, Spike, A&E, AMC. Pretty much any American specialty channel.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 09:23 AM
Veteran

MM - Much Music ( I think ) played the Rocky Horror Picture Show, around last Haloween.

And they absolutely BUTCHERED it - made a mess of it, and completely cut it to pieces, and constantly interrupted it with local partying.

I guess it is to be expected - with this movie.

But a good example of how NOT to show a movie.

[ I had never seen the whole movie before - if you can actually believe that - and I probably did not see the whole movie that time either. haa haa . ]
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Movie Central, Encore Avenue 1, Warner Films, MGM Channel, Sony Movie Channel, AXN Movies.
Add Astral's TMN movie channels and HBO to that list.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 08:17 PM

Don't forget Space has uncut movies too. Also AMC's fearfest last year when they played all 10 friday the 13th movies, they butchered all the movies and cut out some of the most memorable deaths. If you want to cut something, cut the unimportant parts of the story. Don't cut out some of the death scenes!!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 08:33 PM
Veteran

AMC is just plain embarrassing.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-02, 12:06 AM
Veteran

Considering the bloodbath that's called The Walking Dead, that type of censorship is especially puzzling. If they don't want to show the movies uncensored, why bother buying the rights? But then, US censorship rules make no sense. In the US, it's OK to show a woman who has been raped, tortured, mutilated and/or killed on one show but not OK to show a breast nipple or naked ass on another.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 10:43 AM

AMC playing movies drives me crazy, since they often play some really good sci-fi/horror titles (especially during their Fearfest around Halloween).. of course they're unwatchable as they edit for content. Just annoying when you're looking through the guide and see a good movie listed, then notice it's playing on AMC.

The censorship rules are a joke, you can play movies with tons of violence but can't say a bad word or show a naughty part.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 03:33 PM
Veteran

Most US stations use voluntary censorship codes. It's become much worse the last few years due to protest campaigns and the FCC investigations and fines caused by those campaigns. It's really just a small minority causing the problem but it's enough of a nuisance to make some broadcasters back off on producing or airing sexually edgy programming for TV. ABC was only recently cleared of indecency charges for showing a naked female buttock some 10 years ago so it is a real nuisance for them.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 04:03 PM

I think Game TV airs movies, but I'm not sure if they're edited or not.

hmm I never knew EA2 censors their movies. I'm not subscribed to it, so I guess that's why I didn't know.

--Castle
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 11:20 PM

Note to mr. vanwinkles

TCM HD is available on Bell but very few, if any movies are in HD (black bars on each side of the screen.) However, that''s better than not seeing the movie at all because many haven't been shown on other channels. The reason for that may be because the rights to show those movies don't apply to Canada, so rather than black them out, as TCM does, they just don't show the movie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in