Big Brother Canada - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-06, 12:07 PM

Yeah I agree with NeilD, BBCanada was on par with the US version for the most part, and even surpassed the US version in a few aspects. I loved that they actually gave the houseguests challenges to do in secret, challenges that DID NOT affect the gameplay. This is what the US version needs to learn to do. Also, Marsha The Moose was hilarious, and although it was obviously very Canadian, I'm sure the US could try something in a similar vein (but not the exact same thing).

A few things that detracted from the whole experience though, were the host, and the gameplay twists (especially the twists that Canada got to vote on). Obviously we couldn't get Julie Chen, and as much as people rag on her, she's obviously the best host for this job, since Arisa was terrible almost every time she was on screen. Give me the Chen Bot any day of the week.
The other thing that BBCanada dropped the ball on were the twists/power shifts. They were unfair to the contestants, and (inexplicably) allowed terrible players like Suzette and Gary to get second chances. Honestly, who the hell voted to save Suzette? But that's not the big issue. The bigger issue was that BBCanada ALLOWED this twist to even happen, especially without the houseguests knowing beforehand. We didn't NEED to save a houseguest from the block, and we didn't even want to, especially in just week 2. It was completely unnecessary and honestly it ruined the game for me a little bit, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

All in all I'd say it was a good learning experience, so hopefully BBCanada can improve upon those things next season (if there is a next season).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-06, 12:41 PM
Veteran

this is the most rediculous show ive heard. When the show first came out, everyone was under the impression it has to do with "Big Brother" such as being a BIG Brother for a young kid who does not have one, ie taking them to the store, to bowling, to the movies, etc. Did we all forget what Big Brother really means? i mean c'mon we learned it in school, This show has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, they just stole the name and all it is is a reality show like every other just with a new name.

Come on Shaw canwest/slice, you couldnt do better? you coulda just called it "big house canada"
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-06, 01:41 PM

^Seriously?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

NO ONE thought it would be about helping little kids, nor should they have. Ridiculous.

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-07, 08:09 AM
Veteran

do u know what big brother means?
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-07, 10:26 AM

In this case I don't think you know what Big Brother is referring to, and has been referring to on TV for the past 13 years. "Big Brother is always watching."
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-07, 09:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
this is the most rediculous show ive heard. When the show first came out, everyone was under the impression it has to do with "Big Brother" such as being a BIG Brother for a young kid who does not have one, ie taking them to the store, to bowling, to the movies, etc. Did we all forget what Big Brother really means? i mean c'mon we learned it in school, This show has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, they just stole the name and all it is is a reality show like every other just with a new name.

Come on Shaw canwest/slice, you couldnt do better? you coulda just called it "big house canada"
Lol, unbelievable. Of all the complaints I have ever read, this one takes the cake. Where have you been the past 12+ years while this show has been playing in the US????
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-07, 11:53 PM
Veteran

i dont live in the usa, i live in canada, I believe the topic says "Big Brother Canada" no? we live in Canada. This is a NEW show, it is new to Canada, it never existed here before, if anyone is talking about another show it is not the same show.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-08, 10:08 AM

The US version has been shown every single year in Canada, on Global. Your argument has no ground here.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-08, 11:21 AM
Veteran

dude, chill, this is not an arguement, this so called excuse of a show took the meaning away for big brother. before its existance, big brother meant a person who can be a "big brother" for a younger individual who has no brother or sister, and needs one. they go to the movies together, sports events, play bowling, ride bikes, etc. thats what big brother means. this show has nothing to do with it, they should just call it "Big House Canada" thats all im saying.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-09, 01:50 AM

Paolo, this is what everybody here (and most others) think of when Big Brother is mentioned. Esp in the base concept of this show (in all it's different International flavors)

Quote:
Big Brother is a fictional character in George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. He is the enigmatic dictator of Oceania, a totalitarian state taken to its utmost logical consequence – where the ruling Party wields total power for its own sake over the inhabitants.
In the society that Orwell describes, everyone is under complete surveillance by the authorities, mainly by telescreens. The people are constantly reminded of this by the phrase "Big Brother is watching you", which is the core "truth" of the propaganda system in this state.
Since the publication of Nineteen Eighty-Four, the term "Big Brother" has entered the lexicon as a synonym for abuse of government power, particularly in respect to civil liberties, often specifically related to mass surveillance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bro...en_Eighty-Four)
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-16, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
this so called excuse of a show took the meaning away for big brother. before its existance, big brother meant a person who can be a "big brother" for a younger individual who has no brother or sister, and needs one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophones

Read the above-mentioned book as well as this definition.
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-16, 05:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
Big Brother Canada was and always will be a watered down version of the American one.

Live with it.
Oh we deciphered what you meant, just pointing out that it's wrong.

And you can say it's watered down, but you've failed to back that up with any proof. It's not really expected that you would, since there's a mountain of evidence to the contrary anyway.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-16, 06:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaustin90
The other thing that BBCanada dropped the ball on were the twists/power shifts. They were unfair to the contestants, and (inexplicably) allowed terrible players like Suzette and Gary to get second chances. Honestly, who the hell voted to save Suzette? But that's not the big issue. The bigger issue was that BBCanada ALLOWED this twist to even happen, especially without the houseguests knowing beforehand. We didn't NEED to save a houseguest from the block, and we didn't even want to, especially in just week 2. It was completely unnecessary and honestly it ruined the game for me a little bit, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
You might not like this, but I have no problem with the twists you mention.

For as long as I've been aware of Big Brother, they make bold claims to 'expect the unexpected'. Yet they're never done anything even mildly 'unexpected'.

Finally, via these BBC twists, they happened to actually do something unexpected for once.

And the clues were all laid out in case a smart player wished to take advantage: With Suzette, they showed early on that Canadian viewers/voters could affect the game. Then they gave a huge clue with the foreshadowing prank of pretending Tom was being readmitted to the game. All the players knew there were ongoing 'power shift' events. So any players whining at the end that someone was coming back should realize they missed all the clues.

To me, I find it interesting that they broke through the conventional boring game structure and expanded the game play out into the whole nation in a somewhat meaningful way.

Ask yourself - which of the following is more legitimate:

(a) a player being rewarded for tossing a plinko chip and having it randomly fall into the highest point hole?

(b) a player being rewarded for going way outside the game's traditional tiny boundary and forming the strongest connection with hundreds of thousands of viewers?

Sorry, but I scoff at all the bragging of players "dominating" challenges when very few of the challenges involve any skill, strategy, or stamina. They're mostly carnival games plus spandex plus mud/oil/slime/condiment for effect.

The Canada voting challenges on the other hand could arguably be the *most* legitimate challenges ever done on any edition or season of Big Brother.

Frankly I commend them for doing something slightly original rather than crank out yet another boring and restricted season where everything is preordained and predictable.
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-16, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Paulo - not sure if you are poking fun or not, but if I accept you at face value, then you do make a good point.

The "Big Brother" tv game show really has almost nothing to do with the well-known and understood literary concept of "Big Brother". I think the only real basis for calling it Big Brother is the surveillance cameras being everywhere. A game show that truly embraced the full psychological aspects of Big Brother as a nemesis would be some great viewing. But you're right, they could just as accurately have called this show "Camera house".
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 2014-03-18, 05:01 PM

So far, I like season 2 more than the last BBCAN.

--Castle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in