Big Brother Canada - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 10:29 PM

It was done for ratings purposes and so Global won't have to shift their Prime-time programing to accommodate it... It's actually an extremely smart move... I don't own a TV and I still find ways to watch...

Another flaw I'm seeing at this point is just the pace the show is moving at... It's EXTREMELY fast paced, on the US show by now we would have seen a hell of a lot more... The pace has also caused a lot of things to be pushed aside and certain people are being portrayed in a much better light... I know the US show is known for this but it's actually far worse in this case...

Live feed is also driving me nuts... They have 4 feeds that can be watched, yet they show 2 conversations from 2 different angels... So feeds 1 & 3 are watching the same conversation and 2 & 4 are on another...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

At least they provide the live feeds for free, plus you don't have to subscribe to an expensive movie package like with Showtime2 just to get BB after Dark.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 11:20 PM

I guess that's true, however BBAD is on at 2am in the east so I'm really not sure who is actually watching it... And the live feed I'm really not sure who's watching that either...

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 06:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boavista View Post
Watched first two episodes online but I cut the cord to cable, and since its not available on global via ota I won't be watching. Sorry shaw. Poor choice to put it on a C rated channel like slice.
You may be in luck as they seem to be posting the episodes in HD to Youtube.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 06:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by king01 View Post
I guess that's true, however BBAD is on at 2am in the east so I'm really not sure who is actually watching it... And the live feed I'm really not sure who's watching that either...
Set the BBAD to tape at first to see what it was like, and the final hour they pre-empted because all the contestants just went to sleep!

I think they have since started forcing them onto a schedule but from what I saw the production is very controlling over when the contestants must wake up and go to bed, etc. It looked kind of hellish. One half segment consisted of a big brother announcement that all guests must go to the living room. They sat and waited for 15 minutes, speculating on what kind of reward or fun challenge was coming. Instead, they were just lectured on wearing their mic's at all times, told to get rid of their home made chess board, and that their hot water would be turned off for 48 hours.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by king01 View Post
I've got to say I'm actually really enjoying this, especially given that it's something I've wanted to see for a number of years...

However I'm extremely disappointed that they've gone to such great lengths to give the show it's own unique visual identity yet, "the game" itself is virtually unchanged... I've been fairly active in watching the live feed as well as the broadcast show and it is nothing more than business as usual in that department...

That's not to say that the US format isn't solid and it certainly has an extremely loyal following but in my opinion it's grown extremely stagnant... I'm sure even the most loyal fans would have allowed the producers a small amount of creative license, as long as it was simple and made sense... A change in the PoV springs to mind...
I haven't seen them, but my understanding is the country-specific Big Brothers are like individual franchises, taking turns using the format and structures.

Apparently the foreign editions of BB are the most interesting when it comes to new ideas and things, and these twists and concepts eventually trickle down to the USA version.
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 06:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay649 View Post
The house is way better than the CBS version and is very classy.
I agree the house interior is OK, but the 'yard' and pool area look dismal. I guess for production reasons they are merely studio spaces with surprisingly low ceilings, but these outdoor locations do come across pretty hokey.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-07, 02:59 AM

The US rarely and by that I mean almost never borrow idea's from the other international series because they follow a completely different format... BB Canada is the first BB to mirror the US format... Other versions that have adopted the HoH format have been more of a mix of the international format including the public vote and the US format... Even BB Quebec was a format in it's own right... It merely used the US format as a basis and then went off in it's own direction...

You're really talking to the wrong guy... I'm familiar with the main English speaking BB's and a handful of other formats... Most versions are now repeaters of twists and turns from a handful of innovators while maintaining some of their own uniqueness and identity... BBUS is really the only country that has maintain it's independence...

I'm not one that likes to complain about things being borrowed... In fact if I see a cool idea I'm all for it being pinched... The point I was trying to make is that my favorite moments so far in BB Canada have been when the producers have deviated from the same US structure... Yet when it comes to "the game" it's nothing more than business as usual...
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-07, 03:01 AM

I don't mind the yard... I just wish they would have built a separate challenge arena... It would have given them a lot more room and a lot more time to construct the sets they need...

I'm really not that impressed with the lighting though... In the construction video they promised a lighting rig that would create the illusion of day and night... So far I've yet to see it...
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-03-23, 10:02 PM
Veteran

From what I've seen, the Canadian and US Big Brothers are virtually identical. I'd also say they are approximately on par in terms of quality.

Fans don't get mad at me, but there's basically only so much that can happen when you trap people in a building with almost nothing to do. It's basically a gerbil cage with cameras.

I think Global should have kept airing it as I think they could have developed a bit of an audience. Reality shows and Big Brother are always strong in Canada, and the dearth and demise of major network shows (especially at this time of year) left them an opening they didn't exploit. Global could certainly have dictated the days and times of the prime time episodes and slotted Big Brother into their weakest spots.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-03, 09:51 AM

Was it real or was it staged??? A member of the jury entered the wrong vote and ended up giving the main prize to someone else. I will not divulge the winner just in case someone has not seen the final show. Unfortunately the show was aimed at having one person, so called popular choice, to win and it was obvious but fortunately it did not happen. This last minute bit of "drama" had us shouting at the television......it is fixed. Overall the show was on par with the American original with the hosts getting most of the critical comments......get a new one next time. Can hardly wait to see what CTV does with "Amazing Race-Canada" Not a real fan of reality type shows but thankfully the PVR can reduce the torture from 45 to fifteen minutes.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-03, 11:53 PM
Veteran

The staging of that final scene did scream 'RIGGED'. The camera had the host Arisa framed off center, with the offending voter Topaz nicely framed depicted in the background waving her arm in protest. Why would they shoot off angle like that? How did they happen to have zoom footage of the voter's hands even?

Personally, I'm assuming they tape delayed the finale to be able to use those specific shots.

The enigmatic comments of several of the jury voters adds to the intrigue. What were they talking about? One said "someone's making a $100k mistake", and another said "I'm loving how you'll win this". Rather prescient comments, no? Of course their comments did seem pre-vetted, if not scripted. And those jury members don't seem like they would be above messing with a production that they felt had messed with them for weeks. But I would have expectedone of the more egotistical guys would have taken the role as ballot spoiler, rather than Topaz.

However the reaction of Arisa and Topaz seemed genuine. Neither strikes me as being an academy award winning actress to pull off the surprised reactions we saw.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-05, 02:53 PM

Ever had a No Name Pizza, because there was no brand name stuff in the freezer? Yeah, Big Brother Canada was kinda like that. It did the trick, but not as good as the real thing.

It trended on Twitter for like a half hour, but for all the wrong reasons, as mentioned above.

I fear it'll be much of the same for The Amazing Race Canada, which I'll probably watch too.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-05, 05:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
Ever had a No Name Pizza, because there was no brand name stuff in the freezer? Yeah, Big Brother Canada was kinda like that. It did the trick, but not as good as the real thing.

It trended on Twitter for like a half hour, but for all the wrong reasons, as mentioned above.

I fear it'll be much of the same for The Amazing Race Canada, which I'll probably watch too.
Your metaphor is flawed, because here the 'no name' pizzas are better than any of the name brand frozen ones. They are raw, made daily on site, covered with fresh ingredients, cook up more quickly, taste great, and happen to be the most affordable.

The Canadian version of Big Brother was surprisingly on par with the US one by any objective review. It had the same scale, scheduling, airings, feeds, and extended coverage. It had the same scale and production values. The only objective difference would be the prize value.

Before this aired, it would have been easy to speculate and assume it would be 'Canadianized' with deep cuts. One could easily have predicted a Big Brother Canada being shrunk to say 8 people, living in a smaller apartment, for half the time. Games might have been in the realm of a cheap ring toss. Somewhat to my surprise and to their credit, they maintained the larger scale and production values.

Personally I find the games and contests hokey, but objectively I can say they were on par with the US ones.

And I can recognize when effort goes into the production. It strikes me when you have costumes, special effects, large pools of goo, spray showers, huge moving rigs, etc, that does prove a certain amount of production effort. I defy anyone to blast water into a gigawatt studio for hours without electrocuting someone - it's not trivial.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 2013-05-05, 08:03 PM

My metaphor is fantastic and spot on, since you clearly got the meaning.

Big Brother Canada was and always will be a watered down version of the American one.

Live with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in