Shaw Media 2012-13 Specialty Channel Lineup (Showcase, HGTV, etc.) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-04-30, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

DIY Network Canada May Schedule

May 7th at 9pm ET/PT new series Salvage Dawgs

May 2nd at 10pm ET/PT new series I Hate My Kitchen

May 13th at 9pm ET/PT second season of Million Dollar Contractor

May 7th at 10pm ET/PT new season I Want That

May 27th at 10:30pm ET/PT new season Mega Dens

Free preview from May 1st until May 31st

Press Release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-05-08, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

HGTV Canada Summer Schedule

All-New Series

Scoring The Deal Wednesdays at 10pm ET/PT beginning May 29

Esther Extraordinaire Saturdays at 3pm ET/12pm PT beginning June 1

Flip or Flop beginning Tuesday July 2 at 9pm ET/PT

Flea Market Flip beginning Friday May 31 at 9pm ET/PT

Real Designing Women beginning Saturday June 1 at 4pm ET/1pm PT

New Seasons of Returning Favourites

Consumed Saturday June 1 at 5pm ET/2pm PT

Million Dollar Listing New York Wednesday June 19 at 10pm ET/PT

House Hunters and House Hunters International airing weeknights at 8pm ET/5pm PT beginning June 3.

Press Release.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-05-15, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime summer lineup

BRAND NEW LIFETIME ORIGINAL MOVIES

Ring of Fire
Monday, May 27 at 9pm ET/6pm PT
Encore presentation June 2 at 8pm ET/5pm PT

BRAND NEW SERIES

Pretty Wicked Moms Tuesdays at 10pm ET/PT beginning June 4

Devious Maids Sundays at 10pm ET/PT beginning June 23

RETURNING SERIES

Dance Moms Two-hour season premiere Tuesday, June 4 at 8pm ET/5pm PT

Month-Long Free Preview Available in Over Ten Million Homes this June.

Press Release.

post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Showcase adds drama to Canadian viewers' summer television lineup with new British import Broadchurch. The critically acclaimed series stars David Tennant (Doctor Who) in a gripping, eight-part mystery premiering on Sunday, August 4 with new episodes airing every Sunday and Monday at 10pm ET/PT.
Press Release.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 05:24 PM

Great that they are showing Broadchurch . Critically acclaimed and already renewed for a second season i believe . Looking forward to watching .
Bit unclear if you mean there are two episodes every week or just a repeat on Monday of the Sunday episode .
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 05:59 PM
Veteran

I take it to mean a new episode on Sunday and another on Monday. In other words they're cramming an eight week series into four. If I'm right about this I'm also getting fed up with this practice which is becoming quite common. Surely it's better to have a loyal viewer tuning in for eight weeks rather than four? The channel is just throwing the series away by showing it so quickly. (my view anyway).
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 06:13 PM

I read the press release and it sounds as if reidw is correct . Don't really mind if they jam it in since the pvr will take up the slack . Everything is becoming condensed . It used to be only milk and reader digest books .
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 05:12 PM
Veteran

Well for me, I like just one episode of a series a week. It is somethyig to look forward to. It doesn't matter if it I watch it when it's broadcast or later on my PVR. I find that more than one episode of any show in a week is too much of a good thing. Needless to say I hate the trend of running marathons as almost all the specialty/cable channels are now doing. I hope this idea will lose its popularity quickly.
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 08:41 PM

Well with the pvr can't you then make it conform to your desires ?
I think marathons will be around for a while as stations seem to use them as some sort of incentive . (for what i know not but if i was interested and hadn't watched the show i would be tempted to pvr a season .)
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-15, 04:07 AM

I watched the last series of Shameless US at TV speed and it drove me up the wall... If I'm going to really get in to something I'd much rather sit down and watch a marathon than waiting for a new episode and then dealing with scheduling change and breaks ect...

I watched BB Canada at TV speed but it's a little easier to deal with because of internet spoilers, the fact that the live feed was free, and it airs three times a week... But I've tried to watch a few other series and watching a good series at weekly pace just seems to take the fun out of it for me and kills the story...

Other shows as well I think marathons are a great way to kill an afternoon or a few hours... I used to enjoy when TVtropolis would air old seasons of Survivor on long weekend Monday's... I spent a whole afternoon doing housework and re-living memories of the first season... It was great fun! I couldn't handle waiting a week and my schedule is all over the place that I'm never home at the same time every day to watch the episodes in succession on a nightly basis...

If anything I'd love for more networks to dig up some nostalgic TV and air it in marathon blocks... I used to love watching MTV's Road Rules on OLN when I was younger... I also really enjoyed the Channel 4 series Shipwrecked which also aired on OLN back in the early days of reality tv...
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-15, 11:14 AM
Veteran

@sherds: Not really. The problem is that is I'm one of those "odd" people that doesn't want to know about an episode until I've seen it. That is almost impossible these days. One day after the ep. is shown there's a column about it at a newspaper website, fan site, twitter account, Wikipedia etc. The longer I wait to see the episode the more likely that I'll come across a reference to what happened at some website somewhere on the Internet. Ever looked up your favourite show on Wikipedia? For almost every series on TV right now there's a complete episode by episode summary/synopsis posted there. It's impossible to avoid all those references no matter how hard you try. Just last week The Borgias was cancelled. One of the articles about the cancellation mentioned that the producers set up the last show to wrap it all up just in case it wasn't renewed. That's fine except it also mentioned something about the Pope and his son being reconciled. Thanks a lot! I'm just starting to watch this season. I didn't even know that they weren't the best of friends in Season 3. I might as well just skip everything and watch the last show. The suspense is gone. (I think you get my point).

As for marathons. As I've said already, I find them too much of good thing. After watching a couple of episodes consecutively I become bored no matter how much I like the series. Any freshness is simply gone. What I don't understand is what the station gets out of it. Is it just the ratings? Do a lot of people actually tune in for 12 hours of the .....? What about the people who don't like that particular show? Does one outweigh the other? What's the point to spending $x to produce a series only to use up the programs so quickly? Wouldn't a station want good ratings for say eight weeks as opposed to great ratings for just one afternoon/evening? I don't get it.

(This is badly OT but I just had to get this gripe off my chest. Sorry about that).
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-15, 08:01 PM

@reidw . Understood . For myself when i pvr stuff i do try to stay away from any forums or articles that might spoil it for me but as you say it's pretty difficult but certainly not impossible .Think of it as a discipline in information manoeuvering .
As for marathons, a recent study showed that Canadians are finding them more and more popular .Maybe it's the 21st century equivalent to those dance contests they held in the 1920s and 1930s only without the movement.(They Shoot Episodes, Don't They ?)
I would imagine the stations have deals as to how often they can broadcast something and a marathon is one way of dealing with that .
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 2013-06-27, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

New competition series Summer Camp premieres July 19th at 9pm ET/PT on Slice.

Press Release.

Summer Camp also airs on the USA Network in the U.S.

Tags
food network , movietime , schedule , shaw media , showcase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in