Homeland - Showtime Series - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-11-27, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
I guess we'll see if Brody stays "good", but if he does the whole premise of the show is lost.
I don't think so b'cuz if he's trying to be good but the terrorrists still have their thumb on him then its pretty tense. Its still the premise that he's between a rock and a hard place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-11-28, 12:24 PM

I'm surprised that Brody is still alive, given the history of what they've done with other "sleepers". Once someone has been compromised, they blow them up or arrange to have them "taken out". Yet Brody is still there.
post #63 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-11-29, 08:29 AM

The wife and I both enjoyed season 1 a lot. But as season 2 has gone forward we are starting to draw comparisons to 24 and Prison Break also. ON 24 it was Kim Bauer, on Homeland its Dana (so annoying, worse than Kim). Between Carrie and Dana I don't know which one whines or cries more!! I mean the first season I can see why she won the emmy but this season she is just way to emotional. Whenever Carries bottom lip starts to quiver I look at my wife and she already knows what I'm thinking. "Go ahead, press the skip button," she says and I always do.

post #64 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-11-29, 10:01 PM

Every show seems to have one whiny stuck up kid/person I don't like.
For homeland its for sure Dana, I just want to fast forward through her scenes. Why can't Chris has a bit more screen time.
For Dexter it was Astor and sometimes Rita.

The writers seem to like to write the roles for moody people. Maybe drawing from experience?

The show isn't as good this year (homeland) I know we are finally at the apex but it was so much for intense last season.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #65 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-01, 03:54 PM

Haha spidinator weve been thinking about Kim Bauer too. I hope there aren't any cougars in DC!! I hope the story with Dana doesn't last much longer.
post #66 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-05, 09:43 AM
Veteran

That last episode started off with serious cheese, but got very interesting by the end.
post #67 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-05, 09:02 PM

This show jumped the shark after the first four episodes of season 2.
post #68 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 11:54 AM

What ridiculous over the top unbelievable moment do you think this show "jumped the shark" ?

Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that is used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery. The phrase is also used to refer to a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest.

Or are you just saying that season 2 is not as good as season one and used the wrong phrase to discribe it?

post #69 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talljak View Post
What ridiculous over the top unbelievable moment do you think this show "jumped the shark" ?

Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that is used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery. The phrase is also used to refer to a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest.

Or are you just saying that season 2 is not as good as season one and used the wrong phrase to discribe it?
It's not ridiculous. Maybe your standards are just much lower than mine.

The definition above describes exactly how I feel about this show.

Al bazhir, a bin Laden type terrorist all of a sudden operating by himself? The main theme of this show is really good for just one season. That is why season 1 was excellent.
post #70 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 01:35 PM
Veteran

I must say I'm quite surprised at the level of criticism about season 2 in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying anyone the right to an opinion.

This is easily one of the top 5 shows on television right now. I enjoy every minute of it, and I hope there will be a season 3, and 4, and 5...
post #71 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 01:55 PM

MrBizi
I agree with you season 1 was better. But season 2 did not jump the shark for me. Yes the story line is weaker and not as intense but its not like Brody all of a sudden got super powers or the terrorists have laser beam eyes. To me that is when something becomes unbelievable ridiculous and jumped the shark.

I just find when a show goes down hill a bit people say it it jumped the shark but generally it does not fit the guide lines of the actual meaning behind the phrase.

post #72 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 02:17 PM

He is working by himself because 24 hours earlier his team was taken down by the CIA. Also just because he has her captive in the scenes by himself does not mean there is no one else in the warehouse.....who knows what is behind that door she is going through at the end of the last show.

Not sure what people were expecting from this show. Brody had to be "caught" and naturally start working with the CIA. What were they supposed to do kill him in the 3rd show of the second season?
post #73 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-07, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Adam's Mega Rant: How can the writers of Homeland, a show that is basically about surveillance, conveniently forget that a) the vice presidential residence would be blanketed with security cameras and b) the CIA's tap on Brody's phone would have caught this week's video calls with Abu Nazir?
That being said I did think that the last episode was one of the best this season if you let go of reality a little bit. The only tough part for me was the pool side conversation with Finn and Dana! With the exception of that 5 min it was good. I think the problem for me at least is that in season 1 it didn't need to go there with all these big reveals and shocking twists and endings because all of the suspense was in whether or not Brody really was turned. Where they go from here I dont know but ill keep watching for now because if anything else it is entertaining.
post #74 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-07, 02:02 PM
Veteran

Season One was 5/5 - I rate Season two about 3.5/5 as far as how it's unfolded. It's still good, but not nearly as compelling as the first season.

The Carrie/Brody confession has been the highlight of this season. Now, Nazir appears to have turned from an intelligent mastermind to a 2nd rate run-of-the-mill terrorist thug - that conversation she had with Carrie while she was captured could not have been more flat and predictable: Nazir railing against the excesses of the West, and Carrie giving the obligatory 'we will previal' response in typical patriotic style. The scripting of that scene is one of the low moments of this series.

This past episode also confirms that the previous episode of the capture his terrorist team was in fact genuine, and not some type of trick or anticipated action of Nazir's. His IQ sure has dropped quite a bit.

Oh, and I've been waiting and waiting to see how the hit and run incident ties into the main plot - I think that's the only way that event is interesting. It certainly doesn't look like it does. On its own, it's a sideshow and waste of screen time.

Thankfully, the acting remains strong.

I'll see this season to its end, but I certainly don't find it as engaging.
post #75 of 152 (permalink) Old 2012-12-07, 09:24 PM
Veteran

I know what jump the shark is supposed to mean (Fonzie, lol), but I certainly think when Roya approached Brody in his office, that scene went against everything Season 1 was about. Brody was always so secretive, and only he and Tom Walker knew what was going on, and even then they weren't really working together. So secretive. She walks into his office and asks if he's bugged. He says no, and she proceeds to reveal a whole bunch of stuff. And he admits everything to her. Oh, and she goes on to know stuff that no one should know, like the code to Estes' safe.

Seriously, the show took this turn for convenience. The writers clearly had a premise for one season, and are just winging it now. I would have preferred that the CIA "broke" him, but then it turns out he's just pretending to work for them. That would have been in line with Season 1.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in