History Channel should be renamed - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Angry History Channel should be renamed

I propose "The Pawn Stars/American Pickers Channel" ... unbelievable junk on that channel these days.

Time to cancel my subscription.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 09:35 PM
Veteran

I think that both those shows are historical shows. There are a few that are on that are not.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 09:54 PM

Every station shows things not related to their brand. One can cancel their subscription, but it will not effect programing. I just watch shows I do not care what channel it may or may not be on. If space is showing a war epic documentary I will watch it on space. If the food network is showing gardening tips I will watch that show if it interests me.

Getting in touch with the station and explaining your frustrations with programing may result in a program change, especially if 1000's of people say the same thing.

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-08-30, 10:55 PM
Veteran

I see his point though. SPACE sticks to their SCI-FI genre, one of the few that do. History should stick to programming it was originally approved for, as should the others.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 12:28 AM
Veteran

I believe those are two of the highest rated shows on History.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 10:29 AM

This programs are straight from the History Channel in the U.S.

The feature the trade and sale of historical items. I don't see the problem.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 11:23 AM

The biggest shock this past weekend was seeing a movie, A MOVIE of all things on Rogers Sportsnet here in the GTA. Pick almost any channel and leave your set locked in. Eventually Holmes on Homes will pop up as will Canadian Pickers (please lose the icky western garb with the frilly dillys hanging off the sleeves), Real Estate newbies, yada, yada, yada. I'm just sayin'. sailmaker
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 06:39 PM
Veteran

Nobody Sticks With Their Mandate Anymore

Slightly off topic but lately I've been stunned by the shows on W. That channel is starting to look like a clone of HGTV with an emphasis on home improvement, renovations and home decoration. It points to the lack of good programming available on our cable channels. There's also National Geographic which has started to show many of the same series as History Television (second showing). That's not all bad for me as it gives me a chance to see Ice Pilots in HD for the first time. I'm kind of hoping that next they'll pick up old seasons of Ice Road Truckers.

(Needless to say I'm a frustrated Bell customer).

Oh I should add that I agree about American Pickers and similar shows as being appropriate programming for HT. They all have a historical component. History is about more than governments, wars and politics. These shows give fascinating glimpses of our shared social history across North America.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 12:52 PM

Angry

At one time; History and A&E were one of the best channels on tv. Now with all of these reality shows, and do it yourself shows. These channels and others have gone way down hill.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 01:34 PM
Digital Sage

Just started to watch Pawn Stars and American Restoration (or whatever it's called).

I'm addicted. Big fan of old nostalgia stuff. Love how these old items are restored to their natural glory.

I don't really care what shows are on what channel as long as I get to see what I like.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 02:45 PM
Veteran

I will say this much. Atleast History is still better then TLC. The last thing I need to see is toddlers in contests, cakes being made, or anything about wedding dresses ect,ect,
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:15 PM

^^^ you forgot about midgets and midgets baking cakes
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
I see his point though. SPACE sticks to their SCI-FI genre, one of the few that do. History should stick to programming it was originally approved for, as should the others.

-Mike
Space doesn't stick to its genre any more than the others. I've never classify vampires and the occult as science fiction.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 03:45 PM

Location: Oshawa, just off the 401, under a cellphone tower, in the shadow of the GM plant
Quote:
^^^ you forgot about midgets and midgets baking cakes
...and families with 8 or more kids.

I personally have no qualms with History. Some would argue M*A*S*H* never should have been added to the line-up because it is not 100% historically accurate, but I think it's good. History does not have to be dry. As long as it is understood some shows are based on history, I see no harm in trying to be entertaining.

Which brings me to A&E. It can be argued their shows are not very entertaining, but opinions vary. Personally, I like Dog the Bounty Hunter. As far as arts go, I haven't seen much of anything artful on there these days.

It would be nice of course if stations would stick more closely to what they were intended to be, and while I think some leeway is permissible, some stations have gone too far. I don't think History has crossed the line yet.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2011-09-01, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
Space doesn't stick to its genre any more than the others. I've never classify vampires and the occult as science fiction.
Space... the imagination station. Not Space... the science fiction station. So it does stick to its bailiwick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in