"Sherlock" in Canada? (No Spoilers Please Until After The Episode Airs On PBS) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-07-27, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

"Sherlock" in Canada? (No Spoilers Please Until After The Episode Airs On PBS)

Hi, we've heard that PBS might not show S2 of Sherlock until next spring even though BBC is supposed to show it this fall. We didnt pay attention last year but I think Showcase showed it about a month after BBC so does anyone know if theyll do the same this year? We couldn't find anything o the Shocase website. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-07-27, 04:32 PM

"Sherlock" was on the Showcase schedule in Sept. 2010, but it's not there this year.
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 08:30 AM

Sherlock is only being filmed now, so I doubt very much if it will be on BBC this year, let alone Showcase.

SONY XBR65X900F | MARANTZ NR-1605 | SONY PS4 | OPTIK 4K | www.torontotoffees.com

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

hi Dave and Blue. Thanks Dave for the info about Showcase Sept. We know it can't be on in Sept. this year 'cuz it isnt ready yet. Blue yes we know about the filming but BBC said "Fall" which could be any time to Dec. 20. So we're just hoping that Showcase will do it soon after BBC whenever that is b'cuz it sounds like PBS might wait a long time.
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 11:47 AM

I love Sherlock so hope we do get to see it as soon as it is available.
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 06:03 PM

Only three episodes this season (90 min each), so it could be scheduled in for even a November start. It will be more like a mini-series than a season.

Can't wait, thoroughly enjoyed Season 1. (Some of my friends are Rathbone/Bruce purists and they didn't! )
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

hi everybody BBC will start showing season 2 next Sunday so please if anyone hears about Showcase or some other Cdn station showing it b4 PBS in May please post it here. Thanks!
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-12-28, 11:55 AM

I presume you mean BBC in Britain? If anyone hears of BBC Canada showing it I will resubscribe to it. I notice they have improved their programming as soon as I dropped the channel.
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-12-29, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

yes cheadle BBC in England will start showing s2 on Sunday. I dont think BBC in Canada ever showed it becuz Showcase did so we're hoping theyll do it again this time before PBS.
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 02:54 PM
Veteran

Interesting, I'd seen the DVD/blu-ray was available and wondering when this had aired. We might get a surprise and someone like BBC Canada or Showcase might play it, but more likely Canadians best bet is to order the disc version, it's out in 3 weeks.
post #11 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 04:02 PM
Rookie

My torrent client is just waiting for this......lol
post #12 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 04:12 PM

Pinza, you took the words right out of my mouth.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #13 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-12-30, 05:50 PM
Veteran

Saw the first episode of the first series, but didn't get around to watching the two other episodes yet. At 90 minutes each, it's like watching a movie.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would definitely be proud of this version. It truly felt like a proper Sherlock Holmes mystery, with all of the twists and turns you would normally (un)expect.
post #14 of 133 (permalink) Old 2011-12-31, 12:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Saw the first episode of the first series, but didn't get around to watching the two other episodes yet. At 90 minutes each, it's like watching a movie.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would definitely be proud of this version.
We were very impressed after seeing the first episode.

Then I did a bit more reading, and found that they did something rather different when filming this series. They did the episodes in reverse order - in other words, they filmed episode 3 first, then episode 2, then episode 1. I did not see an explanation as to why they did this.....

This does explain why the first episode in the series is so good, at least IMHO. Every series that starts new needs two to four episodes to really come together, for the actors to get used to working off each other, for the crew to learn how best to present the shows.

In this case, the series took three episodes to come together, which produced the best episode. However, we see that best episode FIRST! We found the third episode, which was the first one filmed, to be the weakest of the three, and this makes sense knowing how the series was filmed.

I am looking forward to season 2!
post #15 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-01, 11:26 PM
Veteran

rfielder, it's actually a brilliant solution! I've always dreaded watching pilots because they're often the weakest episode of any television series. New actors working together, setting up the backstory at the same time as telling the first story, building up the chemistry...

By filming the episodes in reverse order, many of these issues are resolved. And even if the third episode features the main characters in their first appearance, at least we don't have to live through the dreaded backstory set-up.

I gotta remember this when I produce my first TV series. This will make the job a whole lot easier on everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in