"Sherlock" in Canada? (No Spoilers Please Until After The Episode Airs On PBS) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 06:01 AM

Question Is Season 3 a Sure lock for Holmes

I'm not sure if this is elementary enough to follow, but if the brief words from the Executive Producer (Rebecca Eaton) of Masterpiece (Theatre) are to be believed, there are indeed plans for a third season/series of Sherlock. In fact, she seems to imply that it's a sure lock!

And although co-creator Mark Gatiss was cryptic when he was asked about a third season: “You'll have to see if they survive this one!”, at least actor Martin Freeman (Doctor Watson) was more positive about the plans for a third season while being interviewed on a recent (January 6th) episode of The Graham Norton Show. Mr. Freeman stated that "The plan is we will do a third series. There’s certainly more to do and I would like to do it... It’s one of the few things I’ve done ever really where I think ‘I’d like to do a lot of these’. It’s a very nice way to spend your time."

Plus, Mr. Google (I know his wife) says that a third season of Sherlock has been confirmed as of January 7th, 2012 at 1:10 ET, but since Mr. Google is a known alcoholic, it's best to wait for more comments from the producers and the BBC before you start celebrating too soon.

Taken from a Wednesday (Jan. 4) interview for the Television Critics Association winter press tour (via satellite):

Question: Will you return for Season 3 of Sherlock?

Benedict Cumberbatch (plays Sherlock): You might say, it’s quite hard to make it back after the end of the last episode. I’m going to only tease you with, ‘I would like to.’ There’s another lawyer telling me not to say anything. I’m only going to tease you with [the fact that] I’d like to.

After that statement, Masterpiece executive producer Rebecca Eaton adds, "Yes, he will be. Yes." Then she looks at Cumberbatch on the monitor and adds, “Right Benedict?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 06:19 AM

Exclamation BBC Canada to air Season 1 of Sherlock beginning this week

In case you missed it the first time, you can watch Season/Series 1 of Sherlock beginning this week on BBC Canada.

Season 1:

Episode 1 will air Thursday Jan. 12 at 2pm ET (and repeated later that night and on Sunday).

Episode 2 will air on the following Thursday, Jan 19th at 2pm ET (and repeated later that night and on Sunday).

I assume that Episode 3 will air on Jan. 26th (etc.), but I can't confirm it at the moment.

I'm also not sure when or where Season 2 will be shown, but those questions should be answered soon enough.
post #33 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 09:04 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
There are 56 short stories too, some of which they have used for this excellent modernization. If they end the series, it won't be from a lack of original source material.
Understood.

My comment was because we have six full stories in the Sherlock TV series for a character that only ever had four full lenght stories written!

The popularity of Sherlock Holmes over the last many, many years goes far beyond what one might expect for the volumn of writing.

post #34 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 12:14 AM
Veteran

There might be a reasonable explanation for the very low production run. It's possible the producers want to be very, very careful with the legend of Sherlock Holmes. The episodes already last an hour and a half each, produced with the same attention to detail as a theatrical release. It would be a shame if, in an attempt to produce more episodes, the quality of the stories begins to diminish. I would prefer they keep the production run reasonably low, and keep delivering some of the best writing today's television has to offer.

Also watched Hounds of Baskerville. While the TV episode borrowed quite a few elements from the book of a similar title (i.e. Hound of the Baskervilles), the TV episode is its own unique story. At least I think it's its own unique story. I still haven't finished reading the bloody book yet!
post #35 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
There might be a reasonable explanation for the very low production run. It's possible the producers want to be very, very careful with the legend of Sherlock Holmes.
TV is very different in the UK. A full "season" is often 4 - 8 episodes long, not the 15-24 we get from the Yanks.

This has been true of most series I have watched from over there. Doctor Who has one of the longer seasons, and it is only 13 episodes.

I agree with the point of keeping the production values high. However, the BBC seems able to do this far more frequently than the Yanks, or most of the crud from our home-grown wannabe clone, the CBC.
post #36 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 08:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
After nearly a century of misinterpretation, we might be finally seeing Sherlock Holmes depicted exactly as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had originally envisioned him, but which he may have never been able to fully disclose due to the prejudices of the time.
If his character was comprimised to fit what was socially acceptable at that time - well, I guess we can say the same about today's Sherlock.

In the Hounds of the Baskerville, Sherlock is going crazy for a fix - and it turns out to be tobacco! Making tobacco the evil monkey on his back is surely written to match today's social expectations.

In the original, Holmes' addiction was to something a lot stronger. They even made reference to it in the latest episode, when Sherlock was looking for a "seven percent solution".
post #37 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-11, 10:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfielder View Post
TV is very different in the UK. A full "season" is often 4 - 8 episodes long, not the 15-24 we get from the Yanks.
Even for the BBC, a three episode series is very short.

As for his addiction, this might just be the beginning. Who knows what else he'll use as a substitute.
post #38 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-12, 09:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Even for the BBC, a three episode series is very short.
But these are three 90 minutes episodes, almost the same viewing time as a 5 episode hour long series.

Quote:
As for his addiction, this might just be the beginning. Who knows what else he'll use as a substitute.
My point was that the original Holmes was addicted to a substance that was legally available at the time, but it viewed with horror today. Therefore, it had to be changed - and since tobacco is today's whipping post, they made him socially correct. For both the original and the current, the character of Holmes has been subverted to meet the needs of appearing to be socially acceptable.
post #39 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-14, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone I guess nobody has heard about S2 in Canada yet. Those of you who have seen it thank you for not making spoilers. Well there have been some little ones but not something big so I hope if you want to say big spoilers youll make a new thread so we can keep reading this one about a Canada airing. Weve been hearing that the new eps are very popular so we're very excited about seeing them!
post #40 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-14, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Bayguy, definitely no spoilers in the thread, which is a bit of a miracle. You really want to talk about the many little details seen in each episode so much, but you don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen the series yet! Talk about frustrating!

I'm now reading the last chapter of the book "The Hound of The Baskerville", and what a let-down! All that work in setting everything up, and you're now being rushed through how the whole mystery was solved! Ack!

I definitely preferred the TV episode over the book. It might be an entirely different storyline, but the delivery is much better balanced, and the story is actually believable!
post #41 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 10:32 AM

Sherlock series 2 region free bluray available at pre release price of GBP17.49 less VAT plus shipping from Amazon UK. Release date is 23 January 2012
post #42 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 10:51 AM
Veteran

If you can handle region 2 regular DVDs, amazon.co.uk also has Series 2 in that version for only £12.99 ... and Series 1 for only £4.99. (or the blu-ray for Series 1 for only £6.99).

I love UK DVD prices! And my region-free DVD player has never had a problem with them. Or my laptop (though they seem to not work well on Apple products ...)
post #43 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-16, 06:41 PM

Exclamation Sherlock is no PAL of mine

Since this thread seems to cover everything you wanted to know about Sherlock but were afraid to ask (except for when Season 2 will air on Showcase or BBC Canada), it got me interested enough in Sherlock to finally watch the first episode of Sherlock's first season, early this morning when it aired on Seattle's PBS station. Yes, I truly enjoyed it -- although I needed to use the CC option to follow many of Sherlock's deductions at light speed (he talks faster than I do). I will definitely watch episode 2 (of Season 1) next week.

As for the UK DVD/Blu-ray releases, I would recommend the Blu-ray versions (Region-Free, or even Region B if you can handle them) because they don't suffer from the ANNOYING 4% speedup that the PAL (UK) DVDs suffer from (that's why the running times are different). I never really gave it much thought until I compared the PAL and NTSC versions of the Star Trek: Enterprise TV series. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more PAL DVDs unless I suspect that there won't be an NTSC version released in the near future. You get what you pay for when it comes to PAL DVDs -- an inferior product.
post #44 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 08:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
As for the UK DVD/Blu-ray releases, I would recommend the Blu-ray versions (Region-Free, or even Region B if you can handle them) because they don't suffer from the ANNOYING 4% speedup that the PAL (UK) DVDs suffer from (that's why the running times are different). I never really gave it much thought until I compared the PAL and NTSC versions of the Star Trek: Enterprise TV series. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more PAL DVDs unless I suspect that there won't be an NTSC version released in the near future. You get what you pay for when it comes to PAL DVDs -- an inferior product.
Might be worth avoiding for US productions. But as far as I know, there is no speed-up/speed-down for UK productions PAL DVD. I've certainly never noticed anything ... and you do get higher resolution from UK PAL DVD compared to NTSC DVD (576i compared to 480i) ... though I have a DVD player that upscales to HD. Sherlock looks great on DVD ... with Series 1 available from amazon.co.uk for only £4.99 (Series 2 comes out next week at £12.99); of course you need a region-free DVD player. (though if you've got Blu-ray, you might as well get those, £6.99 for Series 1, £17.49 for Series 2.
post #45 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 08:56 AM
Veteran

On the earlier note of how Sherlock Holmes has been modified to fit the current social climiate - now, as well as when he stories were originally writtern - I have to say that the running gag of misinterpreting Holmes and Watson as a couple, and Watson's reaction to this, has been well done.

They don't overdue it, but you can see Watson's frustration with this every time. Very well done as a bit of comedy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in