"Sherlock" in Canada? (No Spoilers Please Until After The Episode Airs On PBS) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Just a quick note that the first episode of the second series has already aired in the UK.

And it features a high profile dominatrix!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 02:12 PM

Great first episode of the new series. Superb writing, storyline and acting once again. Really missed this show.

Next week is Hound of the Baskervilles........can't wait

SONY XBR65X900F | MARANTZ NR-1605 | SONY PS4 | OPTIK 4K | www.torontotoffees.com
post #18 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 09:09 PM
Veteran

I'm reading the book right now. It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the next episode. How well will they blend together the original storyline with modern technology?

Best line in the first episode: "I HAD BAD DAYS!!!"

post #19 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 11:10 PM

Just watched it tonight. I really missed the intelligent dialogue.

IT WAS BRILLIANT!

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #20 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 12:58 AM

Not being a huge techno expert just exactly how are you all watching it? Sorry to be so stupid.
post #21 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 10:01 PM

Not stupid at all. I use this stuff but I really don't know how it all works

You can download stuff from a BitTorrent site using a client like Frostwire or similar. A bit of googling will show you how to do this.

You should not download copyrighted material.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #22 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 12:06 AM

For a safer solution you can use newsgroups/usenet. Faster downloads, no sharing required and no tracking involved

SONY XBR65X900F | MARANTZ NR-1605 | SONY PS4 | OPTIK 4K | www.torontotoffees.com
post #23 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 01:45 PM
Veteran

About Sherlock Holmes' lack of knowledge about our solar system as depicted in the last TV episode. It's also mentioned in the novel The Hound of the Baskervilles.

While the character of Sherlock Holmes in the novel is portrayed as an unusual yet brilliant man, I wonder if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had in mind the more realistic and rather disturbed character portrayed in the television series.
post #24 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 03:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
While the character of Sherlock Holmes in the novel is portrayed as an unusual yet brilliant man, I wonder if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had in mind the more realistic and rather disturbed character portrayed in the television series.
Interesting - if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the lead in Sherlock is playing the character closer to Doyle's vision, while Doyle's novels missed the mark a little?
post #25 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-08, 05:37 PM
Veteran

Actually, it might be as simple as Doyle not being able to portray Holmes exactly the way he wanted to portray him due to the prejudices of the time.

By putting the TV version of Holmes in my mind while reading "The Hound of the Baskervilles", it changed the overall feel of the story (I had already read half of the book before, but hadn't finished it). I couldn't believe that a somewhat "normal" person could have these incredible deductive abilities, which made the stories and subsequent movies seem completely unrealistic. But what about someone with specific mental issues? Autistic? Idiot-Savant? Bipolar disorder? A combination of disorders? It's suddenly all made sense now!

Today, we know that people with certain mental difficulties can also possess some pretty incredible mental abilities. Doyle may have been aware of this, maybe even a sufferer/beneficiary himself. But to reveal these mental difficulties during the Victorian era could have been disastrous for the character, and possibly for Doyle himself.

It was the mention of the solar system in the book, and how it was interpreted in last week's episode of the show that allowed me to finally make the connection. After nearly a century of misinterpretation, we might be finally seeing Sherlock Holmes depicted exactly as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had originally envisioned him, but which he may have never been able to fully disclose due to the prejudices of the time.
post #26 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
After nearly a century of misinterpretation, we might be finally seeing Sherlock Holmes depicted exactly as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had originally envisioned him, but which he may have never been able to fully disclose due to the prejudices of the time.
I have never read any of the Sherlock Holmes books, but what you are saying makes sense.

I wonder how this will effect Benedict Cumberbatch's career? He is appearing in two upcoming movies - The Hobbit, and (according to news reports) as the villian in the next Star Trek movie. Regarless of Cumberbatch's talents, I am going to have trouble seeing Sherlock Holmes in a Star Trek movie....

Typcasting can be really annoying. When an actor really owns a role, it is hard to see him in a different role without prejudice.
post #27 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 11:49 AM
Veteran

We'll soon find out just how good an actor he really is. If he can deliver a performance that makes you forget his Sherlock Holmes character, then he's a real actor, and not a on-trick-pony.

One actor that comes to mind who was good enough to avoid stereotypes during his entire career is Christopher Plummer. He's remembered as Captain Von Trapp in "The Sound of Music", the evil priest in "Dragnet", and (surprise!) General Chang in "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country."

Another thing in common between Cumberbatch and Plummer: they're both theatre actors. And many filmmakers prefer to work with theatre actors because, along with their prior acting experience, theatre actors know how to deliver a powerful performance in front of a camera just like they've done in front of a live audience.
post #28 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 05:15 PM

I saw Benedict in A Small Island and you wouldn't realise it's the same actor who plays Sherlock. I think he is a brilliant actor and will have no trouble playing different roles. I also think he is the best Sherlock Holmes after Jeremy Bates and so much better than the stupid movies with Robert Downey Jr.
post #29 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-09, 10:32 PM
Veteran

We just saw The Hounds of Baskerville, and WOW!

The sad part is - one more episode, and the season is finished.

I really hope they bring this show back for a third season! What references I can find indicate that this is not a sure thing - there are no plans for a third season at this time, although the principles have indicated that they would like to do one more.

Only one more season? I guess that makes sense in some ways. There were only four Sherlock Holmes novels, after all......
post #30 of 133 (permalink) Old 2012-01-10, 12:37 AM
Veteran

There are 56 short stories too, some of which they have used for this excellent modernization. If they end the series, it won't be from a lack of original source material.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in