In HD - The Amazing Race Season 18 - Premieres February 20th, 2011. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: Who will win The Amazing Race Season 18?
Flight Time and Big Easy 3 12.50%
LaKisha and Jennifer 0 0%
Gary and Mallory 11 45.83%
Zev & Justin 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-02-23, 02:54 PM

Neild: "Does the cliffhanger mean that a popular team will be 'saved' by the producer's perogative to insert a 'non elimination' whenever they like?"

I would not be a bit surprised that they would do something like this e.g. keep a popular team, such as the Cowboys. I'm pretty sure the producers would want to keep them around to help the ratings!
BTW I PVR-ed the East Coast feed of TAR and the HD was kind of disappointing unlike "Survivors" whose PQ really pops!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-02-23, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I'm sure the government classifies this as a game show. If so, they wouldn't be risking jail if they tampered with the game.
post #33 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-02-23, 05:09 PM

It's also one thing to turn an elimination leg into a non-elimination leg to save a popular team, which is easy for the producer to do. But the first episode featured a pit stop that wasn't the end of the leg. I'm pretty sure the entire first leg is planned out even before the race started so that the challenges (and the extras and production staff needed at each challenge) are ready to go when the teams arrive. So that makes the likelihood of the producers changing the pit stop at the end of the first episode even more improbable.

post #34 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-02-23, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Episode 1 is being rebroadcast this Saturday night at 8pm
post #35 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-02-27, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

CTV at 7pm(eastern) tonight, due to Oscars
post #36 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-02-27, 06:54 PM

^^^^
...and 9pm PST for the west coast.
post #37 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-02-28, 06:43 PM
Veteran

It's quite easy to juggle things... and they often do.

Sometimes climactic scenes are even faked to allow for visual story telling to occur.

Sometimes a dropped bag or clue gets re-shot later to add drama. Or the teams will be asked to run past a camera several times to get the right shots. They feel that since the event and results themselves aren't changed, that a reshoot is OK.

Knowing this does take away some of the magic, but it's still a great show.
post #38 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-02-28, 06:50 PM
Veteran

The rebroadcast and Sunday gave the chance to see CBS feeds without simsubbing.

By looking at the graphic overlays, you could see the picture itself was (as expected) a lot sharper.

Much as I'd like to lay all the blame on mediocre sim-subbing, I'd say in both cases the actual event video itself from CBS was soft. I didn't give it the right attention or conditions to do a good assessment of whether it was just widescreen SD with HD post-prod, or whether the cameras & settings just don't allow for that Survivor class of sharpness.

No mistake though, I'm pleased with the improvement over previous season's picture quality.
post #39 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 10:59 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Just speculation on my part, but the need for a portable camera may have forced them to trade off some picture quality (plastic vs. glass lenses and using more compression inside the camera to allow smaller, lighter media). Survivor takes place in a few fixed locations so they can setup tripods, gantries and such (they do a very good job of hiding all that, though I did see a camera man in one scene this season).
post #40 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 03:41 PM
Veteran

So far the race has been very boring. I have also not been impressed with the HD presentation as it seems to exaggerate any motion in the camera and I find it makes me a little dizzy. They had the same motion with the SD version, but it didn't seem to affect me the same. They need to show more nature/scenic shots like they do on survivor to make HD worth the effort.
post #41 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 04:58 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy27 View Post
They need to show more nature/scenic shots like they do on survivor to make HD worth the effort.
I disagree. Survivor is, at least partially, about man/woman vs. nature so nature shots are very much appropriate. OTOH, The Amazing Race is first and foremost a race, most of which is an urban setting. Some scenic shots might be appropriate to give you a feeling for their location, but it is more about getting to the Pit Stop as quickly as possible, while completing challenges along the way.

I have to laugh that people were complaining that it wasn't in HD and now people are saying that it shouldn't be in HD.
post #42 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 05:11 PM
Veteran

I wanted it to be in HD myself, but I didn't think that the fast zooming of the HD camera and general shakiness of the HD camera would make me dizzy watching it! I still want it to be in HD, but they need to turn on the image stabilizer.
post #43 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 05:23 PM

I think the whole shakiness of the camera adds to the frantic pace of the race.
post #44 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 06:42 PM

They're obviously using hand-held cameras, and not steadicams. Given the nature of the show, it likely isn't practical to use anything bigger than a hand held.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #45 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-03-01, 07:40 PM
Veteran

Ok, back to the show. The first episode turned out to be nothing more than a non-ellimination leg, with exception that the last place team had no penalty. Not sure the point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in