Amazing Race 16 Discussion (starts Feb 14th) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: Who will win Amazing Race 16?
Brent and Caite 1 3.85%
Jet and Cord 25 96.15%
Dan and Jordan 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Amazing Race 16 Discussion (starts Feb 14th)

The 16th edition of THE AMAZING RACE starts Sunday, Feb. 14 at 8 p.m. ET/PT with Phil Keoghan is the host. Contestants will travel nearly 40,000 miles across five continents and eight countries. Eleven Teams start off by navigating through the congested streets of Los Angeles and, for the first time ever, must rely solely on public transportation to make their way to LAX. The Teams' first destination lies in Chile where they will encounter one of the most daunting Roadblocks in the history of the series.

Season 16 features Teams from all walks of life, including couples, parents, siblings, friends, models, lawyers, detectives and even cowboys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Following are the 11 teams, listed in no particular order:

Caite Upton
Hometown: Lexington, S.C.

Brent Horne
Hometown: Columbia, S.C.

Relationship: Dating/Models

Louis Stravato
Hometown: Providence, R.I.

Michael Naylor
Hometown: Providence, R.I.

Relationship: Detectives

Steve Smith
Hometown: Encinitas, Calif.
Occupation: Professional Baseball Coach/ World Series Champion Coach

Allie Smith
Hometown: Encinitas, Calif.

Relationship: Father/Daughter

Jeff Schroeder
Hometown: Norridge, Ill

Jordan Lloyd
Hometown: Charlotte, N.C.

Relationship: Newly Dating

Monique Pryor
Hometown: West Orange, N.J.

Shawne Morgan
Hometown: Bowie, Md.

Relationship: Moms/Attorneys

Jet McCoy
Hometown: Ada, Okla.

Cord McCoy
Hometown: Tupelo, Okla.

Relationship: Brothers/Cowboys

Adrian Davis
Hometown: Arlington, Texas

Dana Davis
Hometown: Arlington, Texas

Relationship: High School Sweethearts/Married

Jody Kelly
Hometown: Round Rock, Texas

Shannon Foster
Hometown: Georgetown, Texas

Relationship: Grandmother/Granddaughter

Carol Rosenfeld
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.

Brandy Snow
Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.

Relationship: Dating

Dan Pious
Hometown: Barrington, R.I.

Jordan Pious

Hometown: Barrington, R.I.

Relationship: Brothers

Joe Wang
Hometown: El Segundo, Calif.

Heidi Wang
Hometown: El Segundo, Calif.

Relationship: Married

post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 04:47 PM
Veteran

Is it in HD this season?

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

No its not.

Given that fresh look, why hasn't "The Amazing Race" followed the industry trend and moved into high definition?

Quote:
"I think it should be in hi-def," Keoghan agrees. "The complication, or one of the challenges that we have is that we do utilize a lot of foreign crews when we're traveling. It's very difficult to just turn up in Siberia and say, 'Oh, let's call the local guy with the HD camera and he can come down and supplement our shooting.' It's a little bit more complicated than, say, facilitating an HD shoot on 'Survivor,' where you can fly all of the equipment into one spot and you've got all your technical support there, you've got a guy who can sit down every night and look after the equipment. We're moving at breakneck speed, 28 days, flying hundreds-of-thousands of miles, or at least anywhere from 75,000 miles in a given race, so we just don't have the same luxury of being an 'Idol' or 'Survivor,' where everything is brought to one place, it's 69 degrees, where the air-conditioning is perfect. We're out sweating in Botswana or anywhere else and that's been a huge part of the challenge. But, I absolutely agree with you. I'd love to see the show in HD. I don't think there's a show on TV that lends itself more to HD."
Please lets avoid the "gee its not in HD that sucks" posts and stick to discussion of the show.

Thanks

post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 05:36 PM
Veteran

I did not realize that TAR used local crews to help with the filming. It makes total sense now why they haven't gone to HD. Even BB does not have HD cameras and they are in one location for the whole show.
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 06:04 PM

I think discussion of whether The Amazing Race should/will be shown in HD is a valid topic for this thread. It will clearly be important to fans and specifically the technically-inclined visitors to DigitalHome.ca who want to enjoy the best available presentation. The show absolutely lends itself perfectly to the format - far more than most of the sitcoms out there.

The article linked to with Phil's comments is almost a year-old so I hope production opinions would have changed - Phil is talking like it's 2005 still. HD is FAR more prominent in television production and has probably eclipsed SD by a good margin at this point. Even most wedding videographers offer HD services. A television network like CBS has no excuse not to offer one of their flagship network broadcasts in HD in 2010. In terms of equipment - go to any professional television trade show like NAB and you'll have a hard time even finding SD-only equipment. And with HD media formats like XDCAM or XDCAM-EX, there are many production efficiencies and cost savings advantages to be had.

Logistically, The Amazing Race is probably one of the most complex shows on TV and fascinating to watch. However, any comments that HD would only make too it tough or too costly to produce are not well researched.
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 06:21 PM
Veteran

If it was just the Amazing Race film crew dong all the work, it might be feasible. Currently that isn't the case, and who's to say that HD is even popular in places like Botswana? In this case, you have to shoot with whatever the foreign camera crew is used to using. You would also need fairly ruggedized equipment to handle the constant temperature changes (which can be quite drastic during a month of shooting).

So yes, while it would be nice to have this show in HD, Phil brings up a very valid reason why it isn't.

I'd recommend branching this "HD or not" topic into its own thread, as it would separate it for those who just want to know the details on the current season, and don't want to filter through all the HD chatter.
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 08:24 PM

Listen if I can buy an HD Flip Cam at Fshop for about $200 there's no reason why these guys can't lug four or five of those things around and straight up hot swap them as they get full, run low on battery or fail.

One's rights and freedoms end precisely where they infringe upon anothers. Sir Wilfred Laurier
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 11:43 PM

Wow, Jeff and Jordan from Big Brother make the transition into TAR, I'm excited!

LG 55LH90, Panasonic SA-XR50, Toshiba HD-A2, Athena Micra 6, Harmony 880, Nintendo Wii, PS3, Boxee via MacBook
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

From wikipedia

Quote:
Steven Smith is the third base coach for the Cleveland Indians. He was formerly the third base coach for the Philadelphia Phillies. He was also the third base coach of the Seattle Mariners from 1998 to 1999 and of the Texas Rangers from 2002 to 2006. Smith has a career managerial record in the minor leagues of 779-903. He was let go from the Phillies organization on November 4, 2008
Love the name Heidi Wang.

post #11 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 04:55 PM
Veteran

I thought that Jordan was a waitress.
post #12 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-01-30, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCDN View Post
...I can buy an HD Flip Cam at Fshop for about $200
HD Flip cam is a bit farfetched and has worse picture quality than TV station SD equipment, but like I've mentioned before a prosumer HD camcorder around $1k-2k today still provides better picture quality yet much smaller and lighter than conventional over-the-shoulder SD cameras used by TV stations. But then, what do I know about TV production.
post #13 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-14, 09:44 AM
Digital Sage

Starts tonight.

post #14 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-14, 10:14 PM
PFD

Classic. Love the couple painting the house. There's always a moronic pair; hope they last a while.
post #15 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-14, 10:26 PM
Veteran

The real painter at the house was hilarious!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in