Amazing Race 16 Discussion (starts Feb 14th) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: Who will win Amazing Race 16?
Brent and Caite 1 3.85%
Jet and Cord 25 96.15%
Dan and Jordan 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-16, 04:58 PM

yeah, even if i paid $60 / month for tv I'd still get all my shows via torrents. Rss torrents are more reliable than a dvr (no recording conflicts, overruns, scheduling errors, etc.), similar quality (better sd since they're widescreen, slightly inferior hd), and best of all no commercials. Only downside is you have to wait till the next morning to watch them since they download overnight. Not a big deal for most tho, unless your co-workers like to talk about last nights episode.

back on topic:

at least jeff/jordan made it further than the last bb contestant on tar (allison from bb4). jeff is an ideal contestant (smart, strategic, athletic) but the first roadbloack that jordan has to perform that doesn't involve walking in a straight line from point A to point B, they're toast. We've seen plenty of one sided teams make it far and even win the game - eric and danielle from tar11 springs to mind - so they should go quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-16, 06:50 PM

Wink J+J

I want Jeff & Jordan to win for sure They are a really cute couple. Even though there is about a 9 year difference between them, I still think they should get married ASAP. THEY HAVE TO!

Okay, I've always wondered this about the Amazing Race (and even American Idol). How far behind is the Season Premiere from the day when it airs? Is it like one month or so?
post #33 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-16, 06:54 PM
Digital Sage

The first episode was filmed on November 28th.

This year's Elimination Station is in Peurto Vallarta Mexico, which is a nice city:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing...nation+Station

post #34 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-17, 06:46 PM
Veteran

A quick word about the excuse where Phil claims HD is impossible due to unpredictable local help. Uh-uh. There's no way this production has a critical dependency on the equipment owned by a local stringer in whatever small country. They wouldn't leave that much up to chance. When you read about how the show and challenges are actually produced, it's very evident there is a deep and extensive planning that occurs, and having a tv camera is not something they'd just wing it and hope to find one when they arrive.

The same brand of excuses were used with Survivor and other shows... until the equipment lease renewed and then suddenly the HD miracle became simple reality. I've said TAR should at least use widescreen SD. With the softened and compressed HD most end users receive, it wouldn't be that far off what we'd get with portable 'true' HD anyway.

Regarding the competition, the casting of South Carolina is brilliant. Hope they go far, but with them writing (and ignoring) basic tips on their hands, it doesn't look good for them.

I found the storyline in episode 1 was too telegraphed. You could tell mid way which teams were going to make which mistakes and who was going to be first out.

For predicting the winners we've seen the trend where winning teams were pairs who got along well with each other. We've seen winners who both got along well with the other teams or didn't get along at all. And sure we've seen fighting couples win. But in general, the leg and overall winners have come from teams with the good internal support.
post #35 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 08:31 AM
Digital Sage

Sad to see Shannon and her grandma leave.

I'm now on team Cowboy. I always root for teams that seem to be enjoying themselves the most without causing internal or external conflict. That seems to be them.

Dumb move when those 2 teams left for the 6:30 bus at 6:30 and came back for the 7:00 bus and missed that. Not sure why they didn't stay and wait 30 minutes.

So much for a 7 minute taxi ride.
post #36 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 10:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
Dumb move when those 2 teams left for the 6:30 bus at 6:30 and came back for the 7:00 bus and missed that. Not sure why they didn't stay and wait 30 minutes.

So much for a 7 minute taxi ride.
I don't think they knew about the 7:00 bus.

I agree that I like the cowboys. Very pragmatic approach and they seem to work together well. I like watching their thought process.
post #37 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 10:17 AM
Digital Sage

They knew about the 7:00 PM when they told the cowboys they were leaving at 6:30 and the cowboys said they were leaving a 7pm and they tried to change the tickets. It was 6:20PM when they found out about the other terminal so they knew they couldn't make the 6:30 bus.

I think the cowboys should have said something to the other teams, in order to get some allies.

Of course this is my memory so the exact conversation might be slightly different.
post #38 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 12:01 PM
Veteran

The cowboys were actually laughing at the other teams and knew that the other teams were going to miss their bus...and were hoping they would miss both...which they did.

When Grandma got kicked in the head i was shocked she kept going like nothing happened...I roared when she simply said: "I just got kicked in the head by a cow".
post #39 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 12:21 PM

I still can't believe that after all these years there are teams that can't drive a stick. It's like going on Survivor without learning how to start a fire. How dumb can you get! Be prepared for crying out loud.
post #40 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 10:43 PM
Veteran

There are three essential skills for amazing race:

1. driving stick
2. reading a map
3. paying attention to details

You have to come prepared.

Now to the stupidity of the 6:30 bus teams. James99 called it right. They knew about the 7pm bus. Why would they try and rush to make the 6:30 that they were already late for?

I am just glad someone beat the lesbians. Their attitude is really starting to bug me.

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
post #41 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 01:03 AM

There are five essential skills for amazing race:

1. driving stick
2. reading a map
4. don't be old
5. don't be an all girl team
post #42 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 08:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
The first "challenge" was pretty lame. Throw a blanket on a llama or jump off a pier in a bird suit. I'm glad the next round was better.

Choosing the correct bus ended up being important. All teams except the last 2 seem to make reasonable choices (or got lucky).

Personally, I think everyone should be required to learn to drive a manual transmission to get their license. Even if they never need it again. You don't have to be great at it, but should be able to move the car around a practice lot.

I think #6 should be knowing the difference between diesel and gas That usually bites one team in the butt at some point in the race.
post #43 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 06:25 PM

I thought this weeks episode was a bit uneventful, but the bus scheduling was interesting. I usually find the first few episodes to be slower as you get to know the participants a bit more and there are too many teams for things to get really interesting...
post #44 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 06:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosborne View Post

Personally, I think everyone should be required to learn to drive a manual transmission to get their license. Even if they never need it again. You don't have to be great at it, but should be able to move the car around a practice lot.
That sounds good in theory, but not everyone has access to a manual transmission when they are learning to drive. Also, that means that the government would have to supply a car simply to drive around the practice lot and it might need a lot of repairs if the experiences of "Canada's Worst Driver" are any indication.
post #45 of 131 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 06:44 PM

" There are five essential skills for amazing race:

1. driving stick
2. reading a map
4. don't be old
5. don't be an all girl team "

Let's not forget the most important attribute: being (somewhat) photogenic. TAR doesn't accept ugly or flat-chested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in