'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeDR View Post
And where would Jerry be today if NBC had pulled the plug on "Seinfeld" after only 6 months because of poor ratings, despite having strong lead ins? It took 'Seinfeld' nearly 3 years to gain solid footing.
Well, Conan replaced Letterman over at NBC. How many years ago was that? How much more patience does NBC need to have.

Also, it was Leno that was fired. Conan quit and Leno got the Tonight Show back after he quit.

Who knew who Jerry was prior to his show? Besides, NBC only gave the first season of Seinfeld a few episodes so he nearly was cancelled from early on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
post #108 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-18, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Also, it was Leno that was fired. Conan quit and Leno got the Tonight Show back after he quit.
sure, Leno was "fired" and then offered a job that was 10x better. Conan quit because he was getting shafted. let's say your employer comes to you and offers you a huge raise for a new position. then a month into your job he says you still have the position as long as you take the night shift. it's the same job, so it's all good, right? so either move to the new time or quit :P
Conan's error was in not putting 11:35 in his contract, and assuming "the Tonight Show" was always going to be at 11:35.

i like Conan way more than Leno, but i don't blame NBC for making this particular move, as they have a responsibility to get as much viewers as possible, and Jay delivers because he has more mass appeal. but i don't think Conan haters can argue that NBC's decisions upto this point have been totally mental.
and Leno's camp should NOT be surprised that people are seeing him as the bad guy here. there is no way he's the "victim" when his end turns out way better in all this.

post #109 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-18, 04:55 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
If Conan goes on the air at 11:35, it'll further erode The Tonight Show's ratings beyond the erosion that will already occur by the people leaving in disgust over what Leno did.
What exactly did Leno do that was so disgusting? His show didn't fail by NBC's standards--it made money in its time slot. It failed according to the affiliates. Conan had 6 months to improve on his ratings over his 12:35AM show and could not do it. Yes, Leno was given extra time by NBC back in the early 90's, but he didn't have a show before with a built in fan base like Conan did. Conan did not have to throw a hissy fit and leave the Tonight Show when they wanted to move his time slot to 12:05AM.

Leno was offered another time slot after his 10PM show was cancelled and he took the offer--disgusting!

I like both Leno and Conan--I just wish they both could get along with each and NBC.
post #110 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-18, 10:06 AM

I am a Leno fan first and foremost, however I do get a kick out of some of Conan's bits, especially the NBC bashing lately. My family and I would always stay up and watch Leno at 12:35 (Atlantic Time), and we would always watch the monologue, and Headlines/Jaywalking/Photo Booth etc. Those were classic bits and very catchy.

We watched Conan for his first few nights, but after that, we just went to bed. His monologue didn't have enough flow to it, and all the jumping around and dancing didn't help.

I still think Conan is a great entertainer, I just believe he is in the wrong place for his act, and I really like how he is fighting for his staff, very classy.

Point is, Leno was the king of ratings when Conan took over, the ratings suffered, and NBC is trying to fix the problem, can't blame them for that.

RCA 26" HDTV - (ATSC/QAM Tuner) - 720p/1080i
post #111 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 11:53 AM
Member #1

NBC may give Conan O'Brien $40 million to go away

I wish someone would pay me $40 million to go away

post #112 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 12:09 PM
Premium Supporter

Heck, I'd go away for as little as $10M.
post #113 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 12:17 PM

I guess his kids won't starve afterall.
post #114 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan1967 View Post
I still think Conan is a great entertainer, I just believe he is in the wrong place for his act, and I really like how he is fighting for his staff, very classy.
Hmmm. Well, Conan quit his show and his staff is now unemployed. How is that a help?
post #115 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 05:11 PM
Veteran

Post Leno's View

Leno gave his side of the events on the Monday Jay Leno show. According to him, NBC was calling all the shots (which makes sense) and is totally responsible for the conflicts and problems. Leno also says that he did not want to leave the Tonight Show but was forced out by NBC. Furthermore, he says he wanted to leave NBC after his 10pm show was canceled but they would not let him out of his contract, forcing him to fulfill it with a half hour 11:35pm show instead. Believe what you want but I believe the man, even if he did gloss over many of the details. Leno also said that they forced him off The Tonight Show 6 years ago because Conan was receiving offers from other companies. So there it is, NBC hedged their bets and kept Conan from leaving by making promises they did not keep. Then they basically screwed Conan to keep Leno, after it became apparent that Leno was still hanging on to #1 ratings with The Tonight Show. A bit of nasty business that. Either way, someone other than NBC was going to get the shaft and Conan was number one on NBC's list.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #116 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 05:29 PM
Veteran

I watched Leno's explanation and I've gained back the respect I lost for him over the past couple of weeks. Still don't find him funny and I probably won't ever watch the Tonight Show ever again out of principle, but I'm glad somebody came forward with (a version of) the truth.

I'm curious to see if Zucker's severance package will be more than Conan's

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #117 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Leno's view was the view we always knew.
post #118 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 06:45 PM

It's fun to watch HBO's The Late Shift again. Even better if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116835/
post #119 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. Well, Conan quit his show and his staff is now unemployed. How is that a help?
Conan's going to Fox.

www.conanonfox.com

there's nothing there but it's registered and links to fox's main site.
post #120 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-19, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

TMZ ran a story on the Fox link. No story there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in