'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Leno was making jokes about being fired from the Tonight Show on a regular basis before he left. I'm sure clips exist on Youtube.

In regards to Carson and the HBO movie you referenced, you should remember the part of the movie where he announced his retirement. Everybody was caught off-guard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 06:31 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Here's the YouTube clip of that segment. Kimmel nailed Leno good.
That clip's blocked. So I watched the one below and, OW!!, that hurt!

post #93 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 11:53 PM
Veteran

To answer the question as to why Leno is the "bad guy" here, my favourite geek columnist, Andy Ihnatko breaks it down Zapruder-film style: http://ihnatko.com/2010/01/14/jay-le...of-late-night/

The Coles Notes version: If Jay was a decent guy, his response to NBC, or anyone who asked, would be (and would have been anytime they pitched something to him): "Right now, there's someone else who has that job, and as long as that's the case, I have no interest in that position/job/timeslot."

And, last night, Letterman pretty much called him out as well, going on and on about how we all know what a "good guy" Leno is, what a decent person he is, helpful, gracious, "man of the people". And then delivered the kill-shot: "Being that he's such a decent guy, he'll do the only thing he can do and step aside and let Conan continue as host of the Tonight Show; because that's the kind of guy he is - putting others first."

Ziinnnng!

post #94 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-16, 12:38 AM

Make no mistake. There are no good guys in that business. Just like in politics, given chance, any one of them would screw over anyone else.
post #95 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-16, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
post #96 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-16, 09:24 PM
Veteran

No problem. Leno is already doing a great job of trashing NBC.
post #97 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-16, 10:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Good one!!

I'd be more worried about what both Leno and Conan are saying about NBC during their monologues right now. Especially while the ratings are high. Who cares what Conan says about NBC once he's gone. Or are they worried they have another Letterman on their hands...

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #98 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 08:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
He has always trashed NBC. NBC does not care as long as he gets good ratings (which he did with the Tonight Show).
post #99 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 09:14 AM
Veteran

NBC DOES have another Letterman on their hands! Even Letterman knows this! How NBC could make the same mistake twice in a row is beyond belief! If Conan goes on the air at 11:35, it'll further erode The Tonight Show's ratings beyond the erosion that will already occur by the people leaving in disgust over what Leno did.

One television critic put it perfectly when they described The Tonight Show as damaged goods that no one would want to touch anymore. NBC has completely destroyed the brand.

On a side note, I really like how Andy Richter has developed on the show. He's like a slightly crazy Ed McMahon. Surprisingly, the real McMahon was a frequent and extremely pleasant guest on Tom Green's talk show, the one he films in his living room!
post #100 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I hope Conan does get a 11:30 show. It will indicate how popular Leno and Letterman are.

In a few months most people will even forget Conan was ever the host. I forget he even had a show until this mess happened a few weeks ago.

It will be a good Trivial Pursuit question in ten years.
post #101 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 09:58 AM
Veteran

Another idea. Along with the show airing on Fox, how about if the show is also made available under syndication to any station that wants it, including NBC affiliates?

Imagine the ruckus if some of the NBC affiliates replace Leno's show with Conan's show at 11:35! And yes, many do have the option of replacing late night talk shows with something else. Many years ago, some stations threatened to cut out Conan from the schedule when he introduced The Masturbating Bear.

post #102 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
As Jerry Seinfeld said yesterday, they gave Conan the Tonight Show. It's up to him to make it work. I hope he leaves NBC so Jay can get his job back.
And where would Jerry be today if NBC had pulled the plug on "Seinfeld" after only 6 months because of poor ratings, despite having strong lead ins? It took 'Seinfeld' nearly 3 years to gain solid footing.

Strange comment for Jerry to make.
post #103 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 01:29 PM

Doubtful that would ever happen Francois. The NBC affiliates wouldn't replace the show; they'd risk getting disaffiliated.

As an aside, I went back and found the original MSNBC article written about the proposed changeover when it was announced in 2004. It highlights the fact that, even in 2004, Conan O'Brien was only drawing about half the viewers that Jay Leno was (2.5 million vs. 5.8 million). Fast forward to 2009, Conan O'Brien is drawing about 2.5 million viewers @ 11:35, while Jay Leno is drawing about 5 million viewers @ 10:00.

So, to me, it's not surprising that Conan O'Brien isn't beating David Letterman, nor is he living up to precedent set by Jay Leno, in terms of number of viewers. They've all maintained the same size audience in 2009/10 as they had in 2004 -- i.e. those watching late night shows, on the whole, like a particular host and tend to stick with them.

Basically, my point is that the whole changeover was a complete waste of time as it hasn't done anything to bolster NBC's position -- if anything, it's only made it worse by reducing their ratings in the 10 pm and 11:35 pm timeslots. Regardless of their timeslot, it was and still is highly unlikely that either one would ever see their ratings improve significantly, especially given that there was no marked increase over the previous 5 years. Thus, from a business perspective, NBC's decision to try to return things to the way they were makes perfect sense -- though, it sucks that it comes at the expense of Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien.
post #104 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeDR
And where would Jerry be today if NBC had pulled the plug on "Seinfeld" after only 6 months because of poor ratings, despite having strong lead ins? It took 'Seinfeld' nearly 3 years to gain solid footing.

Strange comment for Jerry to make.
I don't think your comparison is accurate in this case, as you're ignoring Conan O'Brien's previous tenure as host of Late Night.

As I mentionned in my above post, Conan was averaging about 2.5 million viewers back in 2004. In his six months as host of the Tonight Show, he hasn't gained any traction whatsoever in terms of increasing his audience from those 5 year old ratings numbers. So whether NBC gives him 6 months or 3 years, I don't think they will see any marked improvement. When it comes to late night shows, it's pretty clear that people are set in their ways -- they pick a personality they like and stick with them.

Thus, I think Jerry Seinfeld is correct. NBC gave Conan O'Brien their flagship late night program, the Tonight Show, but in six months, Conan has not been able to build or show signs of building a bigger audience than when he was hosting Late Night. It's been largely status quo (except for the hyped ratings created by his debut and the recent controversy).
post #105 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-17, 11:23 PM

Location: Scarborough; Rogers SA4250HD, Samsung LNT4061, Samsung R160, Samsung HT-TX75 (blew up) -> HT-TWZ515
jerry seinfeld is saying all that crap because he's in bed with nbc.
seinfeld is producing a show at 10pm that will air on nbc.

and as much as i hate leno for his douchebag move... i don't blame him. sometimes doing the wrong thing is the right thing to do.

i equate this to the "third person" in a relationship. it's the wrong thing to do but if it really is true love, you gotta do what you gotta do. if the relationship was stable to begin with, the third person never would've had a chance. and in this case, as much as i'm a conan fan, he just wasn't pulling in the numbers. i'm pretty sure it wasn't leno who went to nbc to say gimme my job back... it was more like the nbc execs stepping out on conan and asking leno to take the show back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in