'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 11:17 PM
Veteran

Got out of the shower, turned on the TV, and there's Leno saying that he has Jimmy Kimmel coming up next. So I watched and he did the Top 10 at 10 segment with Jimmy via satellite. Jimmy was ripping into him big time. It was absolutely hilarious. Can some one explain to me why on earth Leno would have done that??? Trying to show that he's still buddies with the other late night hosts?

Leno is a total slime ball. I can't believe he hasn't done the one honourable move he has left and officially called it quits yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 01:56 AM
Rookie

^^^thanks for letting me know i don't watch late nite comedy shows

i just finished watching the Vancouver feed and that was FUNNY

Props for Jimmy for TELLING THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am surprised Jay didn't get pissed on camera(i bet after they went to commerical he was fumming)

I am only 27 and I LOVE Jimmy Kimmel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't watch him except if he has somebody I want to see on. He is more hip IMO. Way more cooler then Conan/Jay/David.
post #78 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 07:46 AM
Veteran

Here's the YouTube clip of that segment. Kimmel nailed Leno good.

post #79 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 08:43 AM

Location: Scarborough; Rogers SA4250HD, Samsung LNT4061, Samsung R160, Samsung HT-TX75 (blew up) -> HT-TWZ515
Kimmel knows no fear!!! LOL
post #80 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 08:47 AM

Location: Scarborough; Rogers SA4250HD, Samsung LNT4061, Samsung R160, Samsung HT-TX75 (blew up) -> HT-TWZ515
This could be a gift to Fox. It's been SUCH a long time since I've watched anything on Fox. X-files anyone?

I hope Conan gets to do his own show without some non-compete clause that shelves him for a year.
post #81 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 11:03 AM

I don't understand why Leno is the bad guy. Does he have something in his contract that allows him to make the decision to take back his old timeslot?
post #82 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 12:19 PM
Veteran

Leno is the bad guy because he offered The Tonight Show to Conan five years ago. He even announced it on his own talk show!

Then just before Leno signs off for the last time, NBC offers him his own prime time show. He (again on his own show) stated he'd give it a shot. If it works, fine. If it doesn't work, he still had a good run.

Today, Leno wants his old show back, by force if necessary.

A complete 180.

If Letterman is interested in retiring pretty soon (not impossible -- he's been in the business a very long time), Conan could take over that show. Best of all, Conan and his entire production team would be back in their home town of New York City, which is probably way more civilized than Los Angeles.

Of course, that would mean CBS would be branded the "hand-me-down" network. But at least the CBS brass won't be in a rush to cancel Conan. Letterman has been the No. 1 Late Night host only on a few occasions, but at least he did draw enough of an audience to satisfy the heads of CBS while not alienating the affiliates.

It's an idea worth considering.
post #83 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Thumbs down

So why is everyone dumping on Leno and Conan. It's NBC that screwed up. They got the ratings they expected for Leno and didn't see the affiliates' revolt coming. (Never mind that the Leno show is a critical failure.) NBC decided to put Leno on at 10 to cut costs and yanked it off the air 4 months later. Is that Leno's fault? (Sure he could have said no but would you turn down a prime time show and 100 Million dollars?) Conan and Leno are just trying to do comedy. If anyone is the bad guy here, it's Conan for not agreeing to a new time slot. I believe it would work out well for him. In 4.5 years, Leno will retire and the 11:35pm slot will be available. After all, TV is about entertaining viewers and the broadcasters making some money. It's not about Conan's ego.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #84 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 02:08 PM
jem

It's ALL about ego, from the corporate bigwigs who are out of touch with reality to the stars who are out of touch with their audience. I don't watch any of the late night talk shows, so I just laugh at this.
post #85 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 02:09 PM
Veteran

Conan's argument was that he was protecting the integrity of "The Tonight Show" and it's legacy. If it was bumped to immediately behind the Jay Leno show he'd feel the same effects that he's had the last four months with bookers giving Jay the best talent. The Tonight Show would become more of a two bit show than even Late Night does as at least Late Night is on the opposite coast so you have NBC bookers working with you based on geographic location and not against you.

Leno's 60 or 61 or something and has had that chair for 17 years. Plus he says that his true passion is flying out to Vegas every weekend and doing his stand-up. If Leno had any class, he's give up on the show and focus on his stand-up. Yes, NBC is orchastrating this whole thing but Conan at least has the dignity to say "no". Jay is the sleeze ball who's just going along with it. He got the job the first time with contraversy and will this time as well. Can't wait to see what happens if Jay can't get his ratings back. In the meantime, Shame on Leno.
post #86 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 03:35 PM
Veteran

Another interesting thought.

Leno at 11:35 with identical 10 PM "Jay Leno Show" format. Show tanks within two months. Canceled.

Jimmy Fallon takes over at 11:35. Show tanks within two weeks. Canceled.

THE TONIGHT SHOW with CARSON DALY!

At least there will be a Carson back at the helm!
post #87 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I doubt it will be the same format as the 10pm show. JMZ needs to go and a desk needs to be added.

Stick to the old format and he'll be on top again.

I'm sure the affiliates are very happy. They got their way with NBC.
post #88 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
So why is everyone dumping on Leno and Conan. It's NBC that screwed up.
Let's reflect on that a little more:

A. the issue of trying to keep both Leno and O'Brien actually started 5 or 6 years ago, when NBC feared (with good reason) O'Brien was going to leave for another network at the end of his contract. By dangling the Tonight Show in front of O'Brien, they got him to sign on for another 5 or 6 very profitable years, v. losing him back then to another network;

B. NBC has clearly decided that, unless one of them voluntarily leaves, it will now be forced to pick between Leno and O'Brien. They appear to have chosen Leno, presumably NOT because Leno is a more attractive personality right now, but because they might not have to pay anything to O'Brien, if the rumors about the terms of his deal (no guaranteed time slot) are true;

C. The whole brouhaha has, I have no doubt, driven NBC's ratings through the roof in the lead in to the Olympics, which means NBC is likely to recoup, in due course, some of the money they and their affiliates have lost over the last few months prior to rejigging the late night lineup. Helping to boost NBC's ratings are Letterman, Kimmel, Ferguson, et al, who are obsessing every night about the whole thing and causing (I'm sure) people to tune to Leno/Tonight Show to see what all the fuss is about.

D. The whole thing is raising Leno & O'Brien's market value to the point where Fox or ABC or Comedy Central (NBC's competitors, all) will likely have to pay two or three times what they might have had to pay a few weeks ago to land Leno or O'Brien, once one of them is voted off the island.

Stupid NBC, indeed
post #89 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I think your point A proves that NBC wasn't stupid.
post #90 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-15, 06:12 PM
Veteran

End of story? Hardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
Carson retired. End of story. Leno didn't want to leave the Tonight Show, he didn't retire. End of story.
Carson simply retired? Um, OK I guess The Last Shift was completely wrong...

And if Leno didn't want to leave The Tonight Show, then why, exactly, did he announce otherwise years ago? Or was Leno just playing along so that NBC didn't lose Conan? Best case is that he simply changed his mind...and screwed over Conan in the process. Stay classy Jay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in