'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 02:05 PM

Rumor has been officially confirmed by NBC's Chairman:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...os-prime-time/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 07:16 PM

Does anyone know if NBC actually has other content in the pipeline to replace the five hours/week in the 10pm slot, or are were going to get 5 more hours of reruns a week until the fall?
post #18 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

They have many mid-season replacements in the pipeline. I guess we have to wait and find out for sure. You don't pull 5 hours of primetime programming without a plan.

post #19 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-10, 08:21 PM

Maybe Southland can come back now for a second season. Loved that show!
post #20 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 12:54 AM

I keep reading that it was the local NBC affiliates that were complaining because their numbers dropped for their local news after the Leno show ends at 11 p.m. Wouldn't many viewers still stay on the same channel to watch their local news presuming it was up to snuff. If there was a marked decrease in the viewing audience then maybe they should make some improvements in their news department.
post #21 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 02:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe Southland can come back now for a second season. Loved that show!
I was in Los Angeles over the weekend and while watching the NFL games on Saturday, I'm sure I saw a promo for Southland coming back to NBC.
I think it's airing right now on one of the NBC-Universal networks (USA Network, maybe (?))
post #22 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-11, 08:39 AM

I too would like Southland to come back. I think it's on TNT right now.

Android rocks!
post #23 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 03:42 PM

Conan O’Brien Says He Won’t Host ‘Tonight Show’ Following Leno

Conan O’Brien Says He Won’t Host ‘Tonight Show’ Following Leno

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

NY_Times link...
post #24 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 03:49 PM

Good on Conan for sticking up for himself.

I'm guessing he won't be getting Christmas cards from either Leno or the NBC brass for telling them shove it.

Android rocks!
post #25 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

As Jerry Seinfeld said yesterday, they gave Conan the Tonight Show. It's up to him to make it work. I hope he leaves NBC so Jay can get his job back.
post #26 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 04:37 PM
Veteran

"Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show"

Sounds like he'll sue if they don't honor the commitments in the contract (whatever that is)...

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #27 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 04:47 PM
Veteran

It would be good to see Jay fail trying to function with the void of a lead in he left himself.

"I've sworn off agnosticism, which I now call cowardly atheism" James Cameron
post #28 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 04:51 PM

As Goldmember would put it: Oh a power struggle!!!!!

Good for Conan for being honest & sticking his ground, making a quick statement about it, Jay is ok and all, but its gotten really messy just to accomodate him at every one elses expense.
a 1/2 show with 10 min of commercials doesnt leave room for much,
a quick monologue & a quick guest or sketch or Musical guest.
I think doing the 1/2 show will hurt ratings even more
It wasnt broke and they keep trying to fix it,
At least if leno comes back get him a desk again cause he looks real goofy without one.
Its all good for Letterman & Ferguson. they both are much better anyways
post #29 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 05:33 PM
Veteran

Wow, what a letter. Good for him. I'll miss watching his show and wish him the best of luck. He'll be in this business a long time; looking forward to seeing what he does next.

Conan & Fallon are the only NBC shows I watch, and I bet I'm not the only one, given my demographic.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #30 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-12, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
"Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show"

Sounds like he'll sue if they don't honor the commitments in the contract (whatever that is)...

-Mike
Apparently the contract stipulates that NBC has the right to move his show back or forth up to one hour, so he can't sue them for that. He does have the option to quit though and still get paid $80 million over the next 4 years of his contract.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in