'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 09:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Has Fallon improved since his launch? I gave up after a couple of weeks
I gave up after one week. That show was going down in flames fast and his current ratings are terrible.

Did anyone catch Leno on Oprah today? It was a very good interview and quite lengthy as interviews go. There was not a lot of new material covered but it did provide some insights.

Leno's numbers were no lower than NBC expected. They were hoping he would get higher numbers but that's a different story. Leno himself considers his show to be a failure due to the ratings. Even Leno's fans were disappointed by the show, which was typically not as good as his Tonight Show material. What killed The Jay Leno Show was the NBC affiliate revolt. NBC had no choice but to cancel. Then they had to contend with losing Leno or Conan. Both were under contract. Leno offered to leave but NBC would not let him. They got rid of Conan instead. Considering that Conan's ratings were half that of Leno's, that choice was a no brainer. This is show business folks. Ratings rule the airwaves and any performer would be stupid to turn down a good gig. Leno's no fool in that respect. I'm sure he has second thoughts on what went down and how it affected Conan. (He admits as much.) The man's not heartless and Conan is a friend.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 09:38 PM

one interesting comment he made to Oprah was about how he knows who his audience is. His jokes are made to appeal to everyone... the type of comedy that lacks an edge and aims not to offend anyone. That is a bit why people liked Conan...he had that edge...but was forced to tone it down at 11:30. Conan will do great at fox...they seem to be more open to allowing edgy comedy.

In the end both Comedians will find their niche and compete quite well against one another.
post #183 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 08:15 PM

I recorded and watched the whole thing last night. It was pretty well an Ophah puff piece. She asked a few decent questions but really didn't call him out on his answers.

The one that really got me was his his response to her question about the fact that NBC was potentially putting thousands of people out of work by giving him 5 hours of prime time. To sit there and claim he never thought about it until he was actually on air the first time was pretty for fetched considering it was one of the main controversies brought up when NBC announced the show. They flat out said that producing 5 of his shows with the lower ratings, was still going to be cheaper than 5 quality shows. He was lying through his teeth there, why else was it so hard for him to get decent guests?

Also, not to beat a dead horse here, but he stated that they took him off the Tonight show 7 months early and wouldn't release his contract. To me, if he was really interested in moving on to another network or job, he was not obligated to sign on for a two year stint in a new show that he claims he knew wasn't going to work anyway. He could have went home and relaxed for half a year and shopped around for a new gig. I would be willing to bet, that NBC took him off early to see how Conan did, while keeping Leno in their back pockets.

Aquos LC42D64U Yamaha HTR6080 Emotiva XPA-5 Polk CSiA6 RTiA7's RTiA1's Velodyne DLS4000R Mot. 6416 III PS3 Harmony One

post #184 of 184 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 08:47 PM
Veteran

Just like NBC did with Conan 5 years ago when Jay agreed to "retire". As we learned from the Oprah interview, Jay was basically told his job at NBC was over in 5 years because NBC wanted to keep Conan on board by offering him the Tonight Show. Leno is not the bad guy here--NBC is. They should have let Conan go 5 years ago. In hindsight NBC actually did a very smart thing by keeping the 2 #1 late night shows going for another 5 years. $45 million is a small price to pay for the extra 5 years of revenue that Conan's show brought in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in