ICE PILOTS NWT on History Television - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-14, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

ICE PILOTS NWT on History Television

New show starting November 18 about flying in the NWT . Show features the daily operation of Buffalo Airways in 13 episodes.

Looks interesting for aviation buffs (like me..) .

www.icepilots.com

KDLW4100,BDP-S550,Wii,PS3,Shaw DCT 3416 HDPVR with 1TB exHDD,ATV2,Mission M2V 5.1 ,Klipsch RW-10D sub,HTR4063)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

First two episodes have been interesting.Perhaps the drama is a tad over the top,but the show does give a good insight to the running of a regional airline operating in the North.I worked for an airline in Iqaluit for a short time in the
'80's. There's definately a more "family feel" than airlines operating in the South.It doesn't matter what your job title is.You end helping wherever you can..or you hate it and quit ! I enjoyed it,but after six months of living in poverty,got a better paying job in Toronto.

KDLW4100,BDP-S550,Wii,PS3,Shaw DCT 3416 HDPVR with 1TB exHDD,ATV2,Mission M2V 5.1 ,Klipsch RW-10D sub,HTR4063)
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 11:45 AM

This is one of the best reality shows I've seen for a long time. I wonder if it would be feasible for Buffalo Airways to switch to turboprops (probably less maintenance, much younger aircraft, maybe cheaper fuel, carry bigger payloads etc.) They said that they could only make money on the Electra if it was fully loaded but what about flying smaller turbos such as the Twin Otter (I know deHavilland quit building them a few years back but Viking Air is producing them again in their plant near Sidney BC) www.vikingair.com

Edit:They also mentioned, in the show, that it's getting harder and harder to find spare parts to keep these old war birds in the air. However, I do get a kick out of seeing these old piston engined planes in operation and the effort it takes to keep them flying in brutal weather conditions.

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 11:57 AM

Quote:
They said that they could only make money on the Electra if it was fully loaded
I think the key difference with the Electra over new aircraft is that it likely doesn't lose any money sitting in the hangar since it was probably paid for long ago. You just pull it out when you have the load to warrant it.

One thing about the show is that they make it look like an airline struggling along with 3-4 planes, but they actually have quite a few. According to wikipedia:

Quote:
As of August 2009 the Buffalo Airways fleet numbers 49, consisting of the following aircraft[1][2]:

* 1 Beechcraft 95-C55 Baron
* 1 Beechcraft D55 Baron
* 2 Beechcraft 95 Travel Air
* 1 Beechcraft B95 Travel Air
* 3 Beechcraft 65-A90 King Air
* 7 Canadair CL-215 (water bombers)
* 1 Cessna A185E Skywagon
* 3 Consolidated Vultee PBY-5A Canso (Water Bombers)
* 1 Consolidated Vultee 240-27
* 2 Curtiss C-46 Commando
* 2 Douglas C-47 Dakota
* 8 Douglas DC-3C
* 14 Douglas C-54 Skymaster
* 2 Lockheed L-188 Electra
* 1 Noorduyn Norseman
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 12:23 PM
AFF

I know a few of the guys on the show. Joe is a real hard @ss to work for. I remember my first flight in a dc3 from Yellowknife to Hay River. I noticed oil pouring out of the engine and down the wing. The guy next to me said thats a good thing. lol
Some of those dc3's listed are down in Alberta in an air museum.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 01:09 PM

He seems like a crusty curmudgeon and is kind of hard on his son. He reminds me of the muscular guy with the handlebar mustache in the custom motorcycle show on Speed TV who has the same type of personality and is always criticizing his boy. It could be that they put this on for the show and when the camera is not rolling, they are really nice guys.
Why would oil pouring down the wing from the engine be a good sign? Wouldn't the engine seize up if it lost too much oil?
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 05:03 PM
AFF

Quote:
Why would oil pouring down the wing from the engine be a good sign? Wouldn't the engine seize up if it lost too much oil?
That means there is some in it in the first place.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 05:51 PM

AFF "That means there is some in it in the first place."

Yeah, but not for very long!
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-26, 06:25 PM
Veteran

I'm really enjoying this show. Much more interesting than Ice Road Truckers. I, too, am a sucker for the old tin. Amazing that they still fly those. I honestly don't think I have ever seen a C-46 in person...
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

DC3 engine = Oil-fired,gas cooled

The owner is typical for a old-school,family run business.
Sadly, a dying breed though..as are crusty old mechanics who
are willing to do an engine change outside in -40C weather
by themselves.That WAS impressive !

post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 01:38 PM

The mechanic not only had to cope with the bitter cold and a frozen engine, he did it mostly in the dark using only hand tools! They better not p--- him off as he's a real asset to the company.
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-11-29, 12:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I'm really enjoying this show. Much more interesting than Ice Road Truckers. I, too, am a sucker for the old tin. Amazing that they still fly those. I honestly don't think I have ever seen a C-46 in person...
I'd beg to differ. So far after two episodes only I'd say I like Truckers better. That's not say that Pilots is bad. It's actually quite good and interesting. The thing I like about these reality documentaries is that unlike the stuff on the networks they showcase the lives of some extraordinary "ordinary" non-white collar people who up to now rarely if ever got any notice on TV. Seeing them doing their jobs gives me a new appreciation of how hard these people work and how little credit they receive for what they do from the media and the public in general.
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Did anyone else lose sound on yesterday's episode ?? I PVR'd the early show , and the last 30 minutes were without any sound except at the commercial breaks and the final 3-4 minutes. I'm very disappointed.
I guess I'll watch it on line at a later date , or keep an eye out for a repeat.

post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Did anyone else lose sound on yesterday's episode ?? I PVR'd the early show , and the last 30 minutes were without any sound except at the commercial breaks and the final 3-4 minutes.
I recorded the 7pm EST one in HD last night and had that problem. I gave up after the first soundless segment, and set it to record at 10pm. I don't know how the 10pm episode turned out as I haven't watched it yet.
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 05:21 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Did anyone else lose sound on yesterday's episode ??
No problems in Winnipeg.

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in