ICE PILOTS NWT on History Television - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-06-05, 11:10 AM
Veteran

Just a quick note that I've had a chance to watch part of an episode of the US broadcast of Ice Pilots a few weeks ago.

As usual, the Americans have ruined everything!

The show now has a very wishy-washy soap opera feel to it. The music has been replaced with something horribly sombre and generic, and the narrator has been replaced with someone who sounds like they need to calm everyone down! The show no longer has that "edgy" feel to it and is completely unwatchable!

This is one of the few times that the Canadian version of a show got it right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-06-08, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

For those needing more aviation shows , there's Dust Up on History.It's about a group of Crop Dusters based in Saskatchewan , and of course , Alaska Wing Men on National Geographic. Both shows are similar to Ice Pilots in format.

KDLW4100,BDP-S550,Wii,PS3,Shaw DCT 3416 HDPVR with 1TB exHDD,ATV2,Mission M2V 5.1 ,Klipsch RW-10D sub,HTR4063)
post #63 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-06-11, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Just a quick note that I've had a chance to watch part of an episode of the US broadcast of Ice Pilots a few weeks ago.

As usual, the Americans have ruined everything!

The show now has a very wishy-washy soap opera feel to it. The music has been replaced with something horribly sombre and generic, and the narrator has been replaced with someone who sounds like they need to calm everyone down! The show no longer has that "edgy" feel to it and is completely unwatchable!

This is one of the few times that the Canadian version of a show got it right!

Wasn't even aware they had started to broadcast it in the US. That's disappointing to hear what they did with it. I'm guessing the reason they couldn't use the music was due to licensing.

post #64 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-10-12, 09:57 PM

Wow, so tonight we have Season 3 upon on!. Didn't even realize we had one coming until last night. I think it took longer to get a 2nd season than it did to get a 3rd. I was a bit disappointed with the 2nd season, but so far, it has more of the feel that the 1st season had. Will have to watch again though, as we were having terrible video compression issues with sound dropping out 95% of the time.
post #65 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 04:20 PM
Veteran

The thing that I missed about season 2 was that there was nothing about the "rampies" and their trials and tribulations. That had been one of the main focuses of season 1. Last season it was barely mentioned. Hopefully we will meet some of these interesting young people in season 3.
post #66 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-10-13, 05:45 PM
Veteran

I thought that ditching the "rampies" in S2 made the series much better. More about the pilots and the great old planes, please!
post #67 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
The thing that I missed about season 2 was that there was nothing about the "rampies" and their trials and tribulations. That had been one of the main focuses of season 1. Last season it was barely mentioned. Hopefully we will meet some of these interesting young people in season 3.
Agreed. There was something missing about the whole feel. I think there are some new rampies and pilots to follow this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I thought that ditching the "rampies" in S2 made the series much better. More about the pilots and the great old planes, please!
I'm all for planes, but part of my issue with season 2 was that they focused too much on similar problems, for example two oil leaks and engines jamming? Didn't feel like enough variety, and there didn't seem to be as many stories being told.
post #68 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 12:14 PM
AFF

I was talking to a Buffalo delivery guy the other day. He Told me that the "undelivered box" aired in season 3 ep 1 was something that happened 3 years ago.
post #69 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 02:33 PM

So, does that mean the new manager guy has been there from the start, but just haven't shown him until this season? I don't mind them recreating little things like that for the show if they have to.

Last night's Dambusters episode was very good. I thought it was the best they've had in quite some time. Quite exciting.
post #70 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-10-20, 03:12 PM
Veteran

Last night's Dambusters episode was a bit of a surprise. In Aug. History Television had a one time special program on recreating the Dambusters raid. It provided a lot more detail than last night's show did. It would be neat if History Television could obtain a copy of the British program itself. I've always been fascinated with the technology ever since I saw the movie with Sir Michael Redgrave.
post #71 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Interesting... tonight's episode had a network disclaimer every time they returned from commercial: "This program is presented as a paid advertisement"

Advertisement for Buffalo Airways, I guess? Maybe it doesn't fit some CRTC reg for History Channel...
post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-11-17, 07:43 PM

That's odd. It may have just been a mixup, cause I don't see this as any different than Pawn Stars or any other reality shows that take place in a shop. But if it isn't, hell, might as well do that to every other reality show on the History channel. Pawn Stars? Check. American Pickers? Check. Rick's Restorations? Check.
post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 01:49 AM

Well, with Season 3 having ended last week, I can say I enjoyed it much more than season 2. The problems I had with season two were gone and it felt more on par with season 1 in terms of quality and variety of things they were showing. Pretty exciting season.
post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 09:32 AM
Veteran

Ice Pilots along with Deadliest Catch are two of the best of the HD reality series both for their story lines and the great HD photography.

Oh I should also mention IRT in South America this winter. Those South American roads are frightening. The shots looking down those cliffs give me vertigo.
post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old 2012-01-29, 04:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
Last night's Dambusters episode was a bit of a surprise. In Aug. History Television had a one time special program on recreating the Dambusters raid. It provided a lot more detail than last night's show did. It would be neat if History Television could obtain a copy of the British program itself. I've always been fascinated with the technology ever since I saw the movie with Sir Michael Redgrave.
Look for the 2 hr PBS Nova episode 'Bombing Hitler's Dams'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in