ICE PILOTS NWT on History Television - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 10:34 AM
Veteran

Next week is the Stanley Cup episode.

Why the heck did they put it in the shower?

Probably the most abused sports trophy in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 01:05 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
Why the heck did they put it in the shower?
After Mikey was alone with it, that was probably the easiest thing!

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre
post #48 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-03-03, 02:52 PM
Veteran

Last night's episode had them landing with skis on a fast melting lake. I could imagine how easy it would be to tip forward or drag the back end.

Anyway, during the third ski landing I noticed in one set of frames a "chase" helicopter flying in the background. I don't think that was supposed to be on screen. An editorial mishap?

post #49 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 02:52 PM

In general, I like Ice Pilots, but is it just me or has the second season been less engaging?
post #50 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 03:15 PM
Veteran

They haven't had a continuing story line like the water bombers going to Turkey. Whatever happened to the one they found down south? I thought that would have been an interesting follow up.
post #51 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 03:56 PM

Oh yeah, speaking of water bombers, I'm confused. I thought they said they were the only water bombers they had, yet in the second season we see more of them. Could be they got more, but it just left me confused as they didn't even talk about it.
post #52 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 05:32 PM
Veteran

Also missing this season are the almost soap opera stories of the rampies and their trials and tribulations as they attempt to get their first flights with Buffalo. In season 1 these stories were some of the most interesting and entertaining. I suspect that the rampies may have complained about they were being portrayed and so the show had to change their approach.

It's similar to Ice Road Truckers. The first season stressed the "dash for the cash" and the daredevil aspects of the job. In that case it was the diamond mining companies that complained and so the show switched to the Mackenzie Delta and the oil rigs.

In any case this week is the Stanley Cup episode. Should be fun.
post #53 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 01:50 AM

Is the episode last week where they go to Oshkosh the season finale? If so, I definitely feel like the second season has been underwhelming. There wasn't as much a sense of excitement and adventure that the first had and had too many random bits that they never followed up on. But if one thing was a constant, it was the oil leaks and engine trouble. It seemed that every other episode had either an oil leak or engine trouble. The season as a whole felt rather, I dunno, disconnected? I kind of felt that they should have built up on the Oshkosh thing over several episodes a bit like the flight to Turkey since it was such a big thing for them. My favourite episodes this season is the one where they go to Venezuela and the episode where they turn one of the DC-3's into a Ski plane.
post #54 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 07:52 AM
Veteran

Arnie Schreder

Well, when they said goodbye to Arnie, I assumed that was the season finale. I don't know how much "drama" you could expect from a real operating venture. It is a documentary after all. They made reference to the Venezuela trip during the last episode that there were numerous "legal" issues to be worked out. The Elecktra purchase in the UK could be followed up.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Especially since I have a son working at Ekati am I able to get a sense of the weather conditions, both summer and winter. The company flies him in on a Canadian North 737-200, although that airline just purchased one of those 737-300's that Southwest just had trouble with. Yikes!! They have to have planes with a long wingspan for the temporary airstrips in the north. Last week, it took three trips from Yellowknife to get into the mine due to freezing fog.
post #55 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 02:39 PM
AFF

I believe the "legal issues" with a plane in Venezuela are that there was no log book which more or less makes the plane only usefull for parts. The airforce doesn't use a "log book" because they have other ways to determine what and when it needs to be serviced and how many cycles(take-offs and landings) it had.

Canadian did not just buy one of the planes Southwest had trouble with. They have had the 737-300 for years. If fact, I sold my Buick GN to a guy that worked at Canadian serveral years ago and it was flown to Edmonton on the very same jet.

Anyway, Ice Pilots turned more into a drama rather than talk about the flight operations and the planes themselves. It turned into a soap story. Lame.
post #56 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 05:45 PM
Veteran

There is only one 737-300 in service, in Canada.

from CBC.ca:

"Canadian North, an aboriginal-owned airline that flies mainly in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, announced on Jan. 31 that it has purchased the Boeing 737-300 to complement its existing fleet of 737-200 and de Havilland Dash 8 aircraft."

It has checked out OK with the latest inspection.
post #57 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 09:07 PM
AFF

Interesting, They must have got rid of the one they had a few years ago and purchased another. Sometime ask your Son is there is a big cargo door on the front left side that runs from about around row 2 to row 7.
post #58 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

AFF , you are confusing Canadian , and Canadian North. They are different airlines.

Canadian operated 4 (??) B737-300 under the "Attache'" brand in 1985.They were operated in a business class seating only.The brand was not profitable , and the aircraft were gone about year later.

Up til recently Canadian North only operated -200's , becuase they are the only B737 model certified and equipped for gravel ops.

KDLW4100,BDP-S550,Wii,PS3,Shaw DCT 3416 HDPVR with 1TB exHDD,ATV2,Mission M2V 5.1 ,Klipsch RW-10D sub,HTR4063)
post #59 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 10:07 PM
Veteran

Season 3?

Anyone heard if this series is being renewed for a third season? I'd like to know what happened to the Argentine deal and to the English potential acquisition.
post #60 of 92 (permalink) Old 2011-05-05, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

I've read on an aviation forum that the Electra is in Canada,and another is also coming.

The CL-215 is still in South America. The aircraft had no maintenance logs or flight logs.

Season 3 is being filmed.

KDLW4100,BDP-S550,Wii,PS3,Shaw DCT 3416 HDPVR with 1TB exHDD,ATV2,Mission M2V 5.1 ,Klipsch RW-10D sub,HTR4063)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in