LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-06, 11:13 AM

i want to see an unhuman suited lizard lol

or better yet a human suited human!

so many possibilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-06, 11:33 AM

Remember in the first episodes of the 1983 series you knew who was an alien because the Visitors had a raspy voice? Later in the series, they spoke like a human so you never knew who was who?
In "The Invaders," the aliens had a curved pinkie finger and that was the tip off that they weren't one of us. I wonder if there's going to be some sign that as each new character is introduced it would indicate whether he/she is human without having to peel back some of its skin? Like Redzone said, "There are so many possibilities".
I'm waiting for a scenario that shows them in their natural reptilian form. A familiar shocker scene would have a pretty woman sitting with her back to the camera and her male friend enters the room and asks her a question and when she turns around to answer, she has the face of a lizard!
post #48 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 12:11 PM

If you take the thickness of the human tissue covering the aliens into consideration, they must be physically smaller by a considerable margin when this is removed. If you add a quarter to a half of an inch of tissue all around a body, it would make quite a difference in the overall size. But for some reason once the disguise is removed, the aliens are always bigger and stronger than humans are. Obviously that tends to be caused by the alien makeup or costumes required that create exactly the effect of adding tissue to a smaller body that I'm talking about, but it still bugs the heck out of me. Why not let the aliens be physically inferior to us for once and have the disguise be as much to hide that fact as it is to infiltrate?

MAXAM, that's exactly what I don't want to see happen. I went through that scenario once already with the Galactica reboot, wondering who was a Cylon or not. I think the reason they dumped the voice change in the original mini-series when they went to a regular series is that it required too much technical expense and time in those days to get it done for a weekly show. Even in the beginning the effect seemed to just vanish in some scenes so it must have been a difficult effect for them to pull off consistently.

Anyways, I'll still watch the show to see where it goes. But if it turns into a typical 'rebels against the aliens battle of the week' or a 'guess the alien of the week' kind of thing, it will lose my attention pretty quickly.

post #49 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 12:32 PM

Funny how the Visitors are now called "V"s and the red "V" tag seems to be used by their potential worshipers.

In the Original Miniseries the Holocaust Survivor, Daniel's grandfather, said to the kids spray painting the propaganda posters, "If you are going to defy them, do it right...", then he spray paints a large "V" on Visitor propaganda poster, "... For Victory."

Cheers
post #50 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 12:34 PM

It would be better with Michael Ironsides "Ham" in the cast
post #51 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 12:51 PM

Barcham: "Why not let the aliens be physically inferior to us for once ..."

I've read they did that in "District 9" but I haven't seen the movie so I don't know for sure. I agree, it would be a unique twist to have the aliens weaker than humans.
In "The Arrival" (1996) starring Charlie Sheen, the aliens needed a much warmer climate to survive and began increasing the Earth's temperature from their base in Mexico. The fatal flaw that destroyed the Martians in H.G.Wells' "War of the Worlds" was human bacteria and viruses.
post #52 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 12:51 PM

Location: Vancouver Island. Shaw cable.Sony 46V2500,DCT6416(w/TB Xpndr), PS3, Denon AVR2807, Paradigm spkrs.
Heh, he may still show up. He didn't show up in the original for some time iirc.
post #53 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 01:06 PM

MAXAM, District 9 is quite a different movie from most sci-fi. I really enjoyed it and the effects were so well done I totally forgot that the aliens were an effect and not actually there! But they were still much stronger than humans but lower in intelligence terms. Definitely worth a watch.

Speaking of Ironside, I hear they are doing a remake of Scanners. I loved that movie and no special effect will ever top the exploding head in that film!

Shiningblade,
i noticed the change in the significance of the V symbol also. I was disappointed in that because it was so important a symbol in the original.

Now I think I'll watch the rest of the original V mini-series this afternoon to find more things to complain about. LOL
post #54 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-07, 02:58 PM

I never watched the orginal show, but I would think you cant just copy the pace and ideas from that and make a reboot show from that. People would know the plot already. BSG is an example of how to take the same setting and characters and bring something new.

I watched the new V and thought it was just OK. Most pilots are just OK so lets see if this goes in the right direction.
post #55 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-09, 12:53 PM
Veteran

Political allegory

We watched it on the weekend. As with other posters here, we were rather unimpressed. Mrs. 99gecko accused me of falling asleep the episode. We'll let it roll for the remainder of the introductory episodes then decide if it is a keeper.

There is also a ruckus brewing about the perceived political allegory of this show. I suspect that it is nothing more than intentional viral marketing of the show.

cheers.
post #56 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-10, 07:27 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko View Post
Quote:
"V" is sweeping television storytelling at its best.
We are in trouble if this is the "best" television has to offer. It was "ok", has some serious flaws and has some nice points, but "best"?

We were going to PVR all the shows, then watch them later, but decided to give it a go. Wish I had waited now. At this point, we'll watch the remaining 3 episodes, but not swayed one way or the other as to whether or not we want to see any more than the 4 in total. Hopefully it will get better.
post #57 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-10, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I suspect that it is nothing more than intentional viral marketing of the show
I would think that marketing it as anti-Obama propaganda would turn off more viewers than it would attract.
post #58 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-10, 03:29 PM
Veteran

If it is intentional, the objective could be to get otherwise uninterested people to tune in, just to see if the claims of anti-Obama propaganda are justified. It may not be about making a political statement, but providing enough controversy to get media exposure, and potentially more viewers interested in evaluating the story-lines on those terms.

If it is the case, then that is indeed sad if a new show has to try on these techniques for ratings.
post #59 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-10, 06:38 PM

I really hope they don't keep reffering to the visitors as 'Vees' . It makes me want to pull my hair out.
post #60 of 169 (permalink) Old 2009-11-10, 07:09 PM
Veteran

Why are they calling them "Vees"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in