Cancelled Shows (Summer/Fall 2009) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Cancelled Shows (Summer/Fall 2009)

I'm not one to make too many comments or rant on anything but its seems lately that some good shows have been cancelled recently and it seems that my tv viewing will be a little lighter in the fall. Would like to hear from others about shows that you have enjoyed over the last couple of years that have been cancelled. I do understand that some shows run their course and have a proper ending while others just don't have the ratings to continue but it still makes it a little sad when they go.

cancelled
The Unit- this was a well written show that seemed to get better as the seasons went on. It became one of those shows that I watched last on the PVR in its first season to one of the first shows I watched. Wishful thinking but I hope that another network will pick it up. Maybe moving it to late Sunday Nights was not such a good idea.

Terminator TSCC - Another show that pulled me in as the episodes went on. Season 2 was better than S1. Maybe fox should have cancelled it then instead of moving it to Friday nights where fox shows slowly die.

Life- I enjoyed this clever, often humourous show. Damien Lewis became one of my favorite actors after his performance in Band Of Brothers. Will be missed.

Other shows that I would have loved to see continue: JourneyMan, My Own Worst Enemy (enjoyable but didn't seem like it had the steam for a long run)
Scrubs ( as we knew it)

any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 09:07 PM

Full list here:
http://www.pazsaz.com/cancel.html

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 09:50 PM
Veteran

Swingtown (or as I like to call it - The Wonder Years for grown-ups)

This show was perfect for the summer, good acting (though relying heavily on stereotypes), great tunes, and the writing got better as the summer progressed. I think the subject matter turned off certain viewers who don't agree with the swinging lifestyle, but hey, people love CSI but it doesn't mean they love murder Critics panned the show based on its pilot, but for anyone who stuck with it until the finale it was a rewarding & enjoyable summer TV viewing experience!

I heard CBS sold the rights to the existing episodes to a specialty cable channel, but nothing has been renewed for new episodes. Too bad...finale ended on a cliffhanger!

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-22, 10:30 PM

dang.. i really liked the unit.

nick leinonen
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 12:02 AM
PFD

For me it all happened about three years ago when the networks pulled Jericho, The Nine and that one about the guy who repeated the same day over again. Other than Lost, I've never wathced anything on network tv since.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 12:44 AM

Swingtown

I wasn't happy about the cancellation of Swingtown either....
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 12:53 AM

I'm gonna miss my name is earl. Stupid show but made me laugh.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 01:12 AM

I'm going to miss Good Ole Howie Mandel and Jeff Foxworthy ... Both Deal or No Deal and Howie Do It along with Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader have all been canceled
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
The Unit was definitely in my top 10 for watching last season (although the last season was not as good as previous IMO). I will definitely miss it. Very sad to read this thread that it is cancelled. I also thought Life was a good quality show.

Some of the others in the (linked) list I'm not so sad to see go, and didn't watch many of them. For some, it was definitely time to end them.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 10:21 AM
Veteran

Angry I'm Mad as Hell...and I'm Not Gonna Take it Anymore...

The Unit...best show on tv...

Life on Mars...outstanding acting, writing and music...

Boston Legal...a classic...

Life...great show...

Dirty Sexy Money...great cast..

My Own Worst Enemy...excellent twist...

Eli Stone...will be missed...

The Unusuals...I liked this...

Swingtown...brought back memories...

This proves that the Networks (who are disgusting for cancelling these shows) either have no idea at all which shows are good...or don't care what people really want to see!!!
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 10:36 AM
Veteran

The fact that they cancelled Sarah Connor but kept Dollhouse says everything that needs to be said..

Journeyman was a victim of the writer's strike. It might have at least had a full season otherwise.

I am not sure, but it seems like anything that requires thinking has a short life.

What really amuses me are some of the "hot, new, first broadcast" shows they are bringing in. For example:
Merlin
Being Human
The Listener

What is amusing is that they have all had their entire first seasons broadcast, and can be downloaded via bit torrents. Yet they are still being sold to the public as "new" and "first run" and suchlike.

Merline and Being Human are BBC productions. We have watched Being Human, and really look forward to season 2. It was a bit slow to get going, but it was excellent by the end of the first season.

The Listener is a Canadian production, which Fox has already broadcast the full first season of. We downloaded the first season, and watched it, and enjoyed it.

The networks cancel interesting shows, and broadcast older shows as "first run". I guess this tells you a lot about how the networks see the viewing public. Not very compliementary, eh?

I was going to put this rant into a seperate thread, with the title "Just how stupid do they think we are?". However, it seems to fit here better....
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The Listener
i thought the idea of the show was neat when i saw the previews on ctv so i set the pvr to record them. i watched all 4 ep i had recorded last night and i quite liked the show. it has potential. i wonder if it will get a second season?

nick leinonen
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 01:30 PM
Veteran

I can only imagine how good Swingtown could have been if it were on HBO or SHowtime...
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 01:32 PM

The only two I think I might miss are The Unusuals and Life.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 2009-06-23, 01:47 PM

For anyone that is interested, ABC is burning off the last few episodes of the cancelled series:

"Eli Stone" on Saturday, June 20 through July 11 at 10:00 p.m. EDT
"Dirty Sexy Money" on Saturday, July 18 through August 8 at 10:00 p.m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in